Longtube vs. Shortie Headers

Brodach

Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
What is the real difference between LT and Shortie headers? I mean performance wise what does one do that the other one doesn't? Also, anyone know if most x-pipes are created equal? or are certain ones just crap and other ones really good? Trying to research some more of this stuff but can't seem to get alotta info. Thanks

Brodach
'03 GT Premium 5-speed
No mods, yet...

• Sponsors (?)

Not to mention the LT's have a wicked sound also. I love the way they sound but I can't use them because I have an auto or so I am told. I wish I could because I have a friend that has Lt's an Dr Gas X and Flows. It just makes me wet my pants when I here it.

Good, thats what I was plannin' on doin', but thought I'd check ahead of time -- LTs + Dr Gas o/r X pipe, and either Bassani or Borla cat back.
What are/Where can I get some decent LTs at a good price? I think I saw some Mac LTs somewhere for around like $320 a pair...

Brodach

03GTnewbie said:
Not to mention the LT's have a wicked sound also. I love the way they sound but I can't use them because I have an auto or so I am told. I wish I could because I have a friend that has Lt's an Dr Gas X and Flows. It just makes me wet my pants when I here it.

you cant use longtubes with auto's??? why not?

WRXracer said:
I think long tubes give power while shortys do nothing..

You're kidding, right?

5.0s get more power from shorty aftermarket headers, and they come stock with tube headers.

I understand that a 4.6 may have fairly efficient exhaust manifolds, but they can't touch a well designed set of headers, even shorties.

I figure a good set of shorties and a K&N air filter are worth at least 20 HP on a '99 and up GT.

Blue

I have JBA stainless shorties, Dr. Gas X and Flowmaster "American Thunder" catback. Absolutely an unbeatable combination. The unique thing about the shorties is they actually sound a bit different than the longtubes WITH the same X and catback. 2 other T&J guys are running the Dr. Gas and AT catback with longtubes. Sound great, but for whatever reason I actually enjoy the sound of mine better with the shorties. A bit deeper than the LT setup.
Besides that, I still say LTs for N/A, but shorties will show just as much gain on a S/C application. This has been proven.

dkshadow said:
Actually you can. Theres only a few companies that make Long tubes for Automatics though. I believe Mac and Hooker are one of the Companies that make a good set for the automatics.

Great to hear that. I will have to check those out. I was looking at some catalogs from Bro's Performace and Dallas Mustang and all the LT's they had said for 5 speed only. Thats why I didn't think I could LT's for an auto.

I think i have decided to get lt also since i dont think i will have the money for a supercharger anytime soon. I was looking at the reviews for the macs and they dont look to good. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I already have the borla/steeda side exhuast so what x pipe do you guys think will go best. To be honest I love the sound of just the side exhuast right now but I know it could get that much better. Thanks alot

it is all about you torque. longtubes make more low end torque. they usually make more power also due to the fact there are really no good shorties out there for 99+. they are however a bigger pain to install.

as far as xpipes the dr. gas is the best power. I got the vrs because I wanted a stainless pipe.

my .02 would be go midlenght. bassani or JBA is releasing some soon. I dont like the fact that hooker is the only longtube that allows tranny removal. they have slip collecters that look like a pain in the ass to me. some people swear by them though.