Looking to buy a 306 short block?

MY 85 GT

10 Year Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Jersey
Anyone know of a place i can buy a 306 short block..?...I want a replace block,cam,rods,crank,pistons,timimg can...oil pump...I want to change out my 302 that has 99.,XXX on it..anyone know of a good place to buy one?

• Sponsors (?)

For me i would like to have a nice stout little 306 thats all..im looking to spend like $1500 for a short block has to have forged pistons tho...It would be nice if it has the stock cam and timing chain and maybe even the oil pump...but welll cant have everything...lol

Lrs' shortblock has cast pistons.

Fordstrokers.com
woody sells a stock displacement shortblock I believe

Rick could also help you out I assume. For less money you could buy a rebuild kit for your current motor and add forged pistons yourself. Assuming the cylinder walls are in good shape, you won't need to bore it over to a 306

I agree with the above. under 100k isnt a lot of miles on a 302. if you want/need forged then rebuild your current motor. maybe just a quick hone and your as good as new.

Lrs' shortblock has cast pistons.

Fordstrokers.com
woody sells a stock displacement shortblock I believe

Rick could also help you out I assume. For less money you could buy a rebuild kit for your current motor and add forged pistons yourself. Assuming the cylinder walls are in good shape, you won't need to bore it over to a 306

I got mine from their, and the pistons are forged.

I got mine from their, and the pistons are forged.

Our economy Mustang 5.0L short blocks are just the ticket for that budget build! Our remanufactured Mustang 5.0L short blocks start as good cores that are dissassembled, then placed in state-of-the-art, environmentally safe burners, followed by steel shot blasting to clean. The blocks are magnifluxed, inspected for cracks, bored and precision honed to manufacturer's specifications. They are then fitted with new, .030"-.060" over cast aluminum pistons and cast rings*. 50-oz. cranks are precision ground to recommended specifications, and micro-polished. These Mustang 5.0L short blocks do not include cam or timing chain. Each economy Mustang remanufactured shortblock includes a 90-day, 4,000 mile limited warranty**.

*Cast aluminum pistons and cast iron rings are recommended for naturally aspirated combinations only. Not recommended for superchargers, turbos, or nitrous. Always check piston-to-valve clearance when installing aftermarket performance heads or cams.

**Some conditions apply. This is a replacement warranty only. Labor and shipping costs not included in warranty. Overheating, abuse, or lack of regular maintenance may void warranty.

:shrug:

unless you bought the $1500 one...which isnt the budget block

I know less then 100,XXX miles isnt much for a 5.0 but im going turbo...i think that might be pushing the motor a little...This car when i bought it already had a paxton supercharger on it i just sold it to fund my turbo build...I didnt see the short block for $1500 that has forged pistons?...thats in my budget...Some guys say just use my short block now and get a good tune it should hold up...do you think there right?....:shrug:..The motor is going to have GT40 heads,Trickflow Track heat intake,70mm TB,42 lb injectors,Gss340 255 lph fuel pump.areomotive adjustable FPR,stock cam...1.7 roller rockers,an on3 turbo kit 8-10 psi...i might be going with an Abaco 97mm MAF...so do you think i can keep the stock short block and be ok for awhile?....This is in an 87 GT convertible with an AOD and im going to be using 3.27's and a 2500-2800 stall speed convertor...any help would be great thanks....

IMO, you will be fine with a conservative SAFE tune.
this is the $1500 shortblock with speed-pro forged pistons and moly rings
Mustang 79-95 Short Block, 5.0L Economy,Forged Piston, Accepts Roller Cam at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
its not a terrible deal considering its assembled and all the machine work has been done for you.
for that money you are almost into stroker rotating assembly range, and if you're capable of putting your own motor together, then you might as well spring for a CHP kit or something like that
just something to consider :shrug: