Looking to installed a set of gears

DRock9

Aug 22, 2006
All the local shops are charging $500-$600 for just a 3.73 gear install, no trac-loc rebuild or bearings/crush sleeve replaced for that price. Someone told me that if I only plan on swapping out the ring and pinion that I should be able to do it myself because if it is not making noise now then it won't when I am done. I do not plan on swapping out any bearings or shims just taking out the 2.73 and putting in the new ones, does anyone have any instructions for how to do that? I have never opened up a rear before...

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Chances are you will need to reshim. if you dont have a pinion depth guage reuse the shim on the pinion gear to start off with. You will need to get a dial indicator and chack backlash with the new gears installed. Not too too hard, just read alot before you do the work and check everything twice. Just did mine last month, kind of sucks doing in the drive way, but I got it done.

that price doesn't seem right if u ask me!! I live in canada, and everything here seems to be about 1.5 to 2 times more expensive than what americans pay for their mustang parts/installs etc. I was quoted about $300/350 for a 373 install, from a guy that only does mustang performance stuff. (Western Motorsports). Does that price include the parts? or just labor?

Well coming up this next weekend my mustang is getting 3:73's with the traction-Lok rebuild kit, axle bearings, tail shaft gear, speedo gear, aluminum drive shaft, axles and caliper brackets done. My local mechanic is helping me at the shop and i'll get it done for free. He also helped me install the M-2300-K brake kit. Don't go to a big shop, find a little guy that knows what hes doing and get him to do it. He'll do if for half the price or in my case free...

I live in Mass and I know of no little shops around here, they all suck and charge out the ass to try to make profit from the little business they get.

EDIT: That $500 is including parts.

cheapest place around here when i got my 4.10's put in was a place i'll never go back to, B&R Performance, and they charged ~$450 for parts and labor on the ring and pinion install. screw B&R though, they took 3 months to NEVER even rebuild one of my T5's just to end up stealing it from me. :notnice: