Looks like I need a new motor, need some real advice

Mike92GT

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
Florida
I was changing my oil today and I noticed that my magnetic drain plugs looked like porcupines, and I had a lot of very fine copper particles in the old oil - bad sign. I took it out for a drive and it started losing oil pressure. I double checked it with a mechanical guage and I have almost no oil pressure. I'm close to the limit of the stock block anyway, so I figure this would be a good time to upgrade to a Dart, but I don't think I'm gonna be able to spend that much. I was thinking about just rebuilding mine with maybe a new crank, rods, rings and bearings. The motor only has about 40K miles, so I think I could get away with re-using the pistons and just hone the cylinders. Either way I'll most likely be re-using my heads and intake. I'll probably buy a new custom cam for use with the blower. It still runs and it's not making any noise that I can hear. What do you all think?

• Sponsors (?)

well if you want to keep running.. run it till she blows.. if you want to reuse that block.. pull it down.. theres no other reasons behind the metal shavings obviously lol just find another block and build it on the stand.. keep chugging with the old motor.. as long as you have oil.. plus most likely its already toast lol

I'm definately not gonna drive it anymore, as I don't want to do anymore damage then what's already been done. I'm kinda hoping I can re-use my block, but in a perfect world I'd be getting a Dart. I have a second car, so the 'Stang is just gonna have to sit in the garage until I figure out what I'm gonna do with it.

I would get either get the 308 built or buy a 306 s/b from adperformance.com, CHP or keith craft. I would not drive it anymore since u don't know where the metal pieces r coming from and u may be able to reuse the 302 crank, rods and pistons.

no reason to go with a Dart, R302, new Boss 302 or Dart Sportmen unless ur going for over 500rwhp. IMO, ur heads, intake and cam r too small for a 331/347stroker.

with no oil pressure it could be your oil pump... as far as the metal shavings...if your not hearing any noise it could have been from the oil filter comming apart inside, seen it happen alot especially with fram filters.. With only 40k on your motor its hard to beleive that you need to rebuild it unless your really running it.

I'm pretty sure all the bearings are wiped out, and possibly the crank too. Thats the only place the copper particles could have come from. No idea why this happened. In theory, couldn't I just pull the motor and put a new crank and bearings in it without touching anything on the top end? Provided everything else looks OK of course.

The only other possible place to get copper/brass looking material would be the dist gear? Did you use brass?

In theory you could just swap the bearings and install new rings. Depends on what shape the crank is in; maybe have it undercut? Not sure of the costs though.

Just some ideas.

It's the original 5.0 distributor.
I guess I just need to get this thing out and see how it looks and go from there. Any idea why this would happen? The blower has only been on there for 2000 miles, so it's not like it's been abused its whole life. Before that it was just a mild 308 with H/C/I, daily driven. I even spent extra money for a H/V oil pump, 7 qt pan, main support , windage tray, SFI balancer, etc thinking it would help it last longer. I have the worst friggin luck...

Let the deconstruction begin! It never ends, does it?

Before:
View attachment 486206

Now:
IM000017.jpg

Attachments

• IM000017.jpg
    IM000017.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 74
Thats not good for just having 40k on it, I wouldnt drive it mostly so any shavings cant get in the blower and ruin it but i see ur taking it apart already....
The old motor i had in my car had 10psi of oil pressure at a hot idle, about 55 cold...I drove it like that without any problems(ran mint actually) for 1 full year, when i pulled the dipstick i saw what looked like glitter running down my dipstick haha when i took that motor apart, i was surprised the crank was in perfect condition but the bearings were PURE Copper...but it just gives a better excuse to upgrade