Lowering a V6

KisStang

Apr 2, 2006
Naperville IL
i was looking online and found lowering springs for my 98 v6 mustang and thought it would look a lot better then some riced out body kit that i have seen people do. my only question is what exactly is involved in changing to lowering springs, can i do it with ordinary tools?

• Sponsors (?)

It's not too hard to do with ordinary hand tools. Make sure you get progressive springs, which are a little more expensive, but have a softer ride and are meant for the street. Also, keep the amount of the drop to between 3/4" and 1". Any more and you probably won't like the "slammed" look of your car. Under 1" drop and your shop will still be able to get the front suspension back to factory specs (or very close) without needing to install Caster/Camber plates on the shock towers.

There are writeups on the web about this process. Just be careful with the old springs and make sure they are fully decompressed before trying to lever them out- there is a lot of energy stored in them, and they can hurt or kill you if they boing out at you when you release them. Definitely do the springs though! Getting rid of that 4x4 look really improves the look of the Mustang.

I'm also wanting to lower mine a little and am thinking of the Ford racing B series springs which drop it about 1" in the front and about 3/4" in the rear. Will I need caster / camber plates or will it be OK without them and has anyone else used them so I can get an opinion first?

I'm also wanting to lower mine a little and am thinking of the Ford racing B series springs which drop it about 1" in the front and about 3/4" in the rear. Will I need caster / camber plates or will it be OK without them and has anyone else used them so I can get an opinion first?

Over 2" and you need them, you wont need them with "just" 1" :nice:

Here is mine lowered, no more 4x4 look:
119865.jpg

Before:
98843.jpg

You said when going lower than 2" you need caster / camber plates but do you with a 2" drop? I really like the looks of a 2" better but I need to know what all I have to get first. Also do you have problems with rubbing? When I dropped my Camaro 2" I had to take drive ways at an angle which was hard to do some times. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just wanting to get it right the first time around (lol).

I think if you drop the car 2", you will still need C/C plates.

I lowered my car about 1", and the alignment shop was only able to get the suspension back within the very edge of the allowable range. With a 2" drop and no C/C plates, you won't be anywhere near the factory specs for caster or camber, and you'll have some major handling problems, as well as extreme tire wear on the fronts.

If you really want a full 2" drop, you'll need to do it right and get C/C plates. Think twice before going that low, unless it's going to be mostly a show car. Even with a 1" drop, I have to creep over speed bumps to avoid smashing my Y-pipe, and the approach angle (to turn up a sloped driveway) is already about as low as I'd like.

Thanks, that's just the info I wanted before deciding. I want to go with a 1" drop all around but I can only find kits that go about 1" front, 1/2" rear (on V6 cars) or a full 2". Does anyone make a 1" drop front & rear?

i got to be careful also, i hit a bump to hard and i dented my exhaust and i caused an exhaust leak, so i got to becreful also on bumps and speed bumps also

im thinking its a bigger drop, it says 1 inch on the box, but i might me 1 and half