mac's versus magnaflows

• Sponsors (?)

A LOT of people run Macs (I did, my dad did, and my sister now does) and love the sound. I too like the sound, but then again you will sound like everyone else. I hope 795.0pacecar drops in, he has some Magnaflow sound clips and I can say it actually sounds really different and nice. Has more of a 4.6 sound to it. I say go for Magnaflow, but if cost is the issue, you cant go wrong with the Mac set up!

I went from Flows to Magnaflows. Manga has a much smoother tone and are pretty quiet at idle. They really open up when you get on the RPM's though. Also they are a straight through design so they help free up a bit of HP. My vote is for MF.

This is kinda like filet minion vs hamburger.
Both taste good, but the quality of one is crap.
You can figure out which one is crap i'm sure.

I like my magnaflows. They sound good. However, fitment was an issue, and I got two different tailpipe hangers, so I had to cut them and weld them so they were the same size. Also, I don't know if you have an LX or GT, but I was dissapointed to find that they only sell the LX catback with 3" tips. I wanted 2.5" tips.

That being said, I like the sound. Very mellow at idle, but really mean when you get on it. And that is with a stock H pipe.

You could have any muffler in the world on a 5.0, and you can still tell it's a 5.0 from a mile away. Hell, my Mom can find a 5.0 by sound no matter what it has for exhaust. Any muffler is going to have "that 5.0 sound", it just depends on which variation of that sound you like the best.

If you only want to do this project once, forget mac. It just doesn't last.

I wouldn't forget about bassani, easy to install, will last a lifetime and the BX kits can be found relatively cheap for the quality you are getting.

I have a 3 chamber flowmaster (on my sencond one) and the quality is better than mac, but still not as good as bassani, which i would much rather have.

I originally bought a magnaflow system for my GT since it was stainless steel and cheap $300. It sounded good with a mac prochamber but after I added a magnaflow catted x pipe it lost all tone and my stock mach 1 is louder. The magnaflow catback clamps onto the mufflers both inlet and outlet, its very easy to replace mufflers on them. I went with mac stainless steel mufflers to replace the magnaflows and it sounds much better.

In my opinion if your using an off road pipe they work great, but otherwise they'll be too quiet, it sounds good outside but you have no rumble or tone inside.

After having both mufflers the magnaflows are heavier, seem to be made of thicker stainless on the ends. The mac stainless is bright like the magnaflows, and also seems to be holding up better I haven't had any rust spots on them.

If you only want to do this project once, forget mac. It just doesn't last.

I'd have to disagree on that one, I've had my MAC cat back for about 3 years now and its only showing minor rust at the welds, AND its been on and off my car about 7 times and everytime it goes on as smooth as the last. Another one of my friend has had MAC for about 4 years and is still in really really nice shape. The ball and socket joints with the MAC is pure genius, it all mates right into place. No fitting the flow tubes to the mufflers and then the mufflers to the tailpipes. No welding required at all. My brothers "Trashmasters" lasted 2 years and need to be replaced. Flowmasters are JUNK.

Some may have seen these vids before but here they are again.
Bassani Equal Lengths
MAC o/r X Pipe
MAC Cat back.
GT40 heads
E303
Explorer Intake
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/MACn89blckstng/?action=view&current=DSCN0356.flv
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/MACn89blckstng/?action=view&current=DSCN0357.flv

I will say this, my dad bought his Mac kit a LONG time ago (probably around 1999). Had it on his car for a few years, then we put it on my car, and this past year put it on my sisters 94 GT. The system looks really good for being on and off 3 cars and what, 8 years old now. I can snap some pics if you want, but I am sure it is not rusting off the car or falling apart!

My Mac 1 3/4 long tubes on the other hand... lets just say if I keep them they will be ceramic coated sometime in the future!

One of my friends (gearhd6) has a Mac catback that's been on his car for several years and it's mint. I really don't get why people bash Mac. Have you personally had a Mac system fall apart on you? I've seen many Flowmasters rot out within a couple years.

2 sets of mac headers, in the garbage now, 1 mac h pipe, again garbage, and the 3in mac catback on my explorer is becoming a rusted mess.
I use Flowmaster as a catback now (mustang), and it's just as crappy as mac.

I get to be under alot of mustangs being worked on, and you can't compare how mac or flowmaster weathers compared to bassani or magnaflow.

People saying 3 years means nothing, if you are in it for the long haul, that's no time at all.

Almost forgot, the second set of headers lined up horribly. That's what i get for being cheap. Lesson learned.

I have 2nd hand experiece with Mac and flowmaster and first hand with magnaflow and SLP. Mac and flowmaster simply cannot be compared to magnaflow on a quality standpoint.

Minor rust at the welds after 3 years becomes a big deal in 4. My magnaflows are 2 years old and although dirty, are still shiny and do not have a spec of rust. I sold a set of 4 year old magnaflows to a guy on another site, and when I pulled them off my car and cleaned them, they looked as good as they did the day they were bought.

A former boss of mine had a mac catback on his 7up vert. After a year in Georgia of all places it looked like total rusted up crap. A friend of mine has flowmasters on his truck. After 2 years they are rusted. We dont have salt on our roads during the winter down here. There is no reason these mufflers and catbacks should be rusting. It is simply a lack of quality.