MAF kinda scared

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
does anyone have a maf on a 01 gt and up? i was just wondering how they are, i was thinking of getting the granatelli motorsports one, does anyone have theirs? i am kinda scared though, because i heared that they really throw your idel off, has this happened to you guys or did your car run fine after install?

and i can run them with other induction bolt ons such as plenum and tb right ? thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

i know some of you guys have this mod? come on give me some feed back, i did a search on maf and it really didnt pull much. will i need a dyno tune after install? and will i need to run 93 octain? thanks

ADRENLN said:
i am kinda scared though, because i heared that they really throw your idel off, has this happened to you guys or did your car run fine after install?

and i can run them with other induction bolt ons such as plenum and tb right ? thanks for any input.

if your idle gets silly, then adjust the screws on the sensor that plugs in to the metal tube until it is back to normal. Granetelli is not on my favorite list only because i bought a pair of caster/camber plates from them and they had a horrible finish (nothing like the pic) and were missing a bolt! hope this helps :rolleyes:

yea it does help, thanks guys. is the c&l a black plastic unit? i dont like the chrome pro-m unit. also i heard that it you want to get a dyno tune, the tuner might not do it with the c&l, is this true and why? thanks guys

ADRENLN said:
yea it does help, thanks guys. is the c&l a black plastic unit? i dont like the chrome pro-m unit. also i heard that it you want to get a dyno tune, the tuner might not do it with the c&l, is this true and why? thanks guys
Why wouldn't he want to tune with the C&L? Likely because it's a mix of aftermarket parts (the C&L tube itself, which is aluminum) and the stock electronics (the MAF sensor). It's probably hit or miss tuning with it, as opposed to the Pro-M, which has its own electronics. The C&L does nothing more than lean out the A/F mixture and thereby making more power. I added the 85mm C&L MAF (for the 02 on up it's 85mm, for the 01 on down, it's 80mm) along with the C&L Trueflow inlet pipe, as well as an Accufab TB and plenum. It was awesome, but I was later convinced by many people that due to my already lean (dynoed at a max of 15:1) condition brought on by my SCT dyno tuned chip, I was likely even further leaning the car out and the result could be dangerous. So, the OEM MAF went back on along with a paper filter. And ya know what? I can barely tell the difference.
The reason for this is the fact that the OEM MAF is more than sufficient for a basically stock motor...up to about 350 HP actually.
I've still got my C&L MAF and I may put it back on...but I'd really like to get it on a dyno when I do. But if I had it to do over again I wouldn't have bought it. :bang:
If you really want to help the intake bottleneck, get rid of the rubber hose intake tube (the K&N FIPK Gen 2 works well...or Densecharger), replace the intake plenum (actually it's an elbow) and move up to a 70mm or 75mm TB. The C&L plenum is very popular, as is the Accufab, but it's a bit pricier but is also polished. And as far as TBs are concerned, everyone seems to use the Accufab to test with...which is exactly why I bought it. Not cheap, but a quality piece.
And if you haven't done so yet, work the exhaust from back to front, replacing the cat-back first. Add gears and a Pro-50 or Tri-Ax shifter and you'll be having a good ol' time!!! :D

alright if you say you couldnt tell much of a difference after removing it than i will stick with either the fipk 2 or the volant system. as far as the plenun, i just got the 70 mm accufab tb and plenum. still have to install them.