Magnaflow Catback (not Magnapack) with SLP or Magnaflow Catted-X?

0365gt

Feb 23, 2006
I'm getting ready to put an exhaust on my '03, I want it to be louder, not obnoxious, but louder, nice rumble, and want to see some power benefits. Which setup would be best. I fairly certain I'm going to go with the Magnaflow Catback (not Magnapacks, I think they'd be too loud) and I want a catted x-pipe. So my question is, SLP Catted-X or Magnaflow Catted-X? What combo would sound the best, which would I setup would give me the best flow? I hate to base it one price. I'm open to suggestions, I just don't want a lot of drone and don't want it to be so loud I can't stand to drive it. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

How do they hold up? How do they compare sound-wise? Do they leak? What if I got the Magnapacks instead of the regular cat-back? Or should I go the MAC Catted H-pipe? Any further input would be appreciated...

Well I decided I definitely don't want and H-pipe due to lack of power after 3000rpm's. Looked at UPR and the catted x-pipe is only $20 cheaper than the SLP, and I've read they fit like crap. I saw that the Pypes catted x-pipe was made out of aluminized steel which is no good. So I guess I'm leaning towards the SLP still.

I don't like the sounds of whisper quiet though. I don't want something obnoxiously loud which I think is what I would get with the Magnapacks. Would it be louder than stock? Is it noticeably louder? I want something that is going to be noctied but something I can stand to drive all the time. If I go with the SLP catted x-pipe and the Magnapacks, will that still be too obnoxious. Anybody with a similar setup? I don't want any trouble from the popo...

I have the Magnaflows with the Magnaflow catted-x. It is a bit louder than stock, and better sounding. It's definately louder at WOT. I went with the Magnaflow catted-x just simply for the reason that I knew there would be no fittment issues with the catback. Keep in mind that with any aftermarket system, you will lose low end torq, even more so with the x-pipe over an h-pipe, but you should pick up more HP on the high end.

Well I decided I definitely don't want and H-pipe due to lack of power after 3000rpm's. Looked at UPR and the catted x-pipe is only $20 cheaper than the SLP, and I've read they fit like crap. I saw that the Pypes catted x-pipe was made out of aluminized steel which is no good. So I guess I'm leaning towards the SLP still.

I don't like the sounds of whisper quiet though. I don't want something obnoxiously loud which I think is what I would get with the Magnapacks. Would it be louder than stock? Is it noticeably louder? I want something that is going to be noctied but something I can stand to drive all the time. If I go with the SLP catted x-pipe and the Magnapacks, will that still be too obnoxious. Anybody with a similar setup? I don't want any trouble from the popo...

Go with whatever Catted X you want and get the Packs. If you think they are too loud you can always swap the mufflers out to something else.

What ever you do...match the Headers to the Mid Pipe...Keeps the fitting problem at a min.

Cat Back or what every you use on Mufflers will really tune the sound...Check out www.mustangexhaust.com...pretty cool site...has various configs on different cars...can really help you choose the type of sound your looking for.

I've got the Magnaflow catback, and with the stock H-pipe, it is a lot louder than stock. Especially with the windows closed. I later added a BBK off road X-pipe and it's obnoxously loud. But the power gain on the track was huge. If you don't want to go to loud, start with the catback first. Then swap out the stock h-pipe later if you want. I chose the Mgnaflow catback because everyone said it had the least amount of drone, but it still drones around 1800-2000 rpm, especially cold. But on the highway around 2300to 2500 rpb, it sounds so sweet, you'll turn off your stereo, and just listen to that sweet exhaust note, for hours. That's with the stock h-pipe though. If I didn't take mine to the track. the stock h-pipe would go back on and stay on.
check my sig for my gains.

Stock H and Magnaflow catback was loud enough that I added extra carpet underlay to quiet the inside of the car. Mostly for the cold drone. Ya at idle it was quiet but driving and accelerating it was much louder. After the x-pipe I added more sound deadening and I worry about getting pulled over by cops. The Magnaflow mufflers are straight through with some sound deadening material around the outside, so they should be louder than stock.

Stock H and Magnaflow catback was loud enough that I added extra carpet underlay to quiet the inside of the car. Mostly for the cold drone. Ya at idle it was quiet but driving and accelerating it was much louder. After the x-pipe I added more sound deadening and I worry about getting pulled over by cops. The Magnaflow mufflers are straight through with some sound deadening material around the outside, so they should be louder than stock.

I have an O/R X with Magnaflow catback and I couldn't imagine being harassed by cops for the noise. It is dead quiet.

My wife doesn't even wanna ride in mine anymore. My brother and I went on a trip in our separate cars. I offered to allow him to drive my stang. He said no thanks, i don't wanna go deaf.:shrug: He was driving a Corsica.

I went to WFC with my local Club. My girlfriend took me aside and quietly asked me why my car was so much quieter than everyone else's. I got the Magnaflow knowing that it would be quiet for her, guess I cant win.

LongTubes are going on next week, should make the car loud enough for her :D

I have BBK LT headers, BBK OR X-Pipe, with 40 Flows... It was so loud that I could not even think. Way to loud. I had magnaflow mufflers welded in and had some mangnaflow cats put in my BBK OR X-Pipe and to me is sound great. It is quiet when I am traveling, cruising around, and bad ass at wide open throtle...I can now hear my raidio, and my blower whine ... ;) Plus, girl friend has no head aches any more.... I win all the way around... He He He....

Dale in San Antonio