man my mustang just ruins the fun of riding in other cars.

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok i got my car running real good now, runs mid-low 12s, pretty decent for a turn key street car.

but what sucks is back when my mustang was slower, like 14s and 15s, id get ride in some stangs and cars that were faster and i was like woah this is cool. it gave me some incentive to keep modding. now i had modded to the point where my car will toast any of my friends cars, and i havent rode in anything in a while that is faster than my car. noone ever wants to race me, i'm not into street racing really but i like to play around on the back roads from time to time and get on it some and stuff like that. nobody messes with me anymore, before i would have people try to race me all the time, once i got the cam lope and stuff i havent had anyone mess with me, maybe a couple but after i showed them what i could do they backed off lol

i dont ever get the cool fast feeling, a friend of mine who has a stang and can drive pretty good has given me a ride in my own car and it feels real good. pretty fast feeling. but i dont get that feeling while i drive the car myself. and theres that only 1 friend who can drive the car good, my gf and dad can drive it but they shift too slow and it ruins the feel lol.

another bud of mine got a pretty nice talon, AWD turbo, i posted a topic about it about what they run etc.

well when i first saw it i was hoping this was pretty quick to give me something to play around with you know.

my other friends, who drive slow 15-17 sec stuff. were all going on about how the talon feels real nice and is very fast. i got a ride in it and was hoping it was fast.
well its not too hopped up. just a header and intake running 10-11 psi like stock, at least when i rode in it, it felt pretty stout for a little 4 cyl but i was thinking " is this it?" it had power dont get me wrong and i'm not trying to brag but it wasnt even close to my mustang. it would probably smoke me off the line on the street but as far as actual set you in the seat power, it didnt have near as much as the stang.

and my friends keep telling me how ungodly fast my car is and how their chest hurts and they can feel it in their gut and how much of a head rush it is, i just tell them its slow. i am used to it and the car really does feel like a turd to me. i just wonder if i will ever reach a moment where i will feel that my car is fast. i guess just have the HP bug lol

i live in a small area so my car is probably the fastest that actually runs around alot during the week. i know some people that have more powerful/faster "street" cars but they never have them out, they sit in a garage or a building and never drive around hardly. i take mine dragging main for hours and take it too the movies and cruise with the A/C on full blast all the time, to me its a true street car. being on here and knowing other people i know my car isnt much at all, it still a pup lol

if i lived in a bigger city maybe i could find some comparable cars to have fun with and get smoked by, to give me more reason to mod and make my car faster

sorry for the useless topic but maybe some of you can relate.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a boost control,. turn it to zero for a week, get used to it not having that kick, then turn it back up the following week....

or just give your blower to me, and build a turbo instead :D

If you have a boost control,. turn it to zero for a week, get used to it not having that kick, then turn it back up the following week....

or just give your blower to me, and build a turbo instead :D

Yea, because people have boost controllers for SC's....:rlaugh: I believe I did read somewhere someone rigged something up to control the boost somehow. Think it was on corral, interesting topic. Anyways, Foxfan your right with everything you said, I have the same thing in my town and my car isnt even that fast. Gotta go over afew towns to have cars to play with...but then the fun starts! But Iam sure you'll keep running into EVO and STI owners with afew minor mods who think they will take anything. You'll just have to show them who is boss with a car that cost less then 1/4 of what theirs does haha.

Yea, because people have boost controllers for SC's....:rlaugh: I believe I did read somewhere someone rigged something up to control the boost somehow. Think it was on corral, interesting topic. Anyways, Foxfan your right with everything you said, I have the same thing in my town and my car isnt even that fast. Gotta go over afew towns to have cars to play with...but then the fun starts! But Iam sure you'll keep running into EVO and STI owners with afew minor mods who think they will take anything. You'll just have to show them who is boss with a car that cost less then 1/4 of what theirs does haha.

turbopeople strapped a wastegate to the intake tube of a s/c setup, you can throw a 25lb pulley on it and just set the boost controller so the wastegate bleeds off boost, pretty cool idea and works well.

yeah thats the best, shutting some cocky highschool kid who's parents got them a super duper SRT4, WRX or something like that, their head swells up and they think its fast, the look on their fast is priceless when you fly by them with ease.

one time. (this car isnt fast but anyways)

there are these two kids i knew, once i worked with and his friend who came in often.

the kid i worked with kept telling me how his GFs dad has this BADASS dodge stealth:eek: that had twin turbos and stuff, and was all naming off stuff it had done. i knew my car would probably beat it, but i kept going "yeah i bet it would, my car is slow"

at this time my car hadnt had the rebuilt engine i had in it, wasnt tuned very well and would have run a high 13 low 14

wel his buddy ( son of the guy who has the stealth)
he starts boasting about the car and how it would smoke mine, i heard this for months.

well one day i was crusing with a FULL LOAD, i had my GF with me and my 2 brothers in the back seat. this mid 90s eclipse rolls up and starts goosing it, its the stealth guy's son, he has this look on his face, like he is going to smoke me hardcore and it was dead serious. we were at a stop light, he took off as fast as he could i feather the throttle and had a bad laucnh and still blew his doors off like none other, then the kid starts going "that was bad dude"

next day at school the other kit who i worked with was like "so i hear you beat austins eclipse, well i bet you cant beat the stealth" then the eclipse kid rolls up and says "dude i duno man his car is pretty fast i think it will take it" i was ROFLING in my head i thought it was funny how their attitude changed so easily

i guess it didnt last long. the kid i worked with, he had a dodge avenger he thought was IT, i was at the track one day and he was there running a high 16 he thought it was badass.

i happened to race him once. i redlighted and he ended up with a 16.9 or something and i ran a 13.4 or something.

he was shown the winner since i redlighted.

he takes this timeslip back to town and brags to all his buds about how he BLEW my doors of at the track.

i also heard he went around telling people who smoked my car at the track with a v8 s10, i am like umm lol whats he smoking

some kids are just full of it.

Get better friends... I went on a cruise with a few guys just a last minute thing.

One guy brought his Supra (should be 600-700 this winter) he also has a 600+ rwhp TT Saleen, and a 605 rwhp Saleen Cobra (1 of 2 black 03 coupes).
Friends 420 rwho 11 second LS1
His brothers slightly slower LS1
66 coupe with a HCI and a supercharger
Friends 580 rwhp Blown and built 03 GT
Friends 417 rwhp TT 03 GT
Low 11 second S10
And a few bolt on LS1s, GT, Cobra vert, Vette, and some random SRT4

Not to mention the other friends with 400+ rwhp cars, probably have 10-15 of them.

Another thing to do is just keep making it faster and go for your own goals, noone elses!

I guess that's one advantage to my having such an extremely limited ... er, well ... more honestly, a NON-EXISTENT budget; damn near everyone else's car seems faster than mine (or at least equally ballsy), so I've always got the desire for more. However, I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, because riding in everyone else's car (especially my buddy's '04 Mach 1) makes mine feel positively anemic in comparison.

HOWEVER ... after spending 5 days a week driving the HARBL for 2 hours every day, all 47 fwhp of its fury, getting behind the wheel of the ol' notch is a HUGE shock to the senses. EVERYTHING about the car feels different, 100% better in ride quality, handling, torque, sound ... EVERYTHING. Except ... well ... I sure wish it got the gas mileage that the HARBL does... :D

I guess that's one advantage to my having such an extremely limited ... er, well ... more honestly, a NON-EXISTENT budget; damn near everyone else's car seems faster than mine (or at least equally ballsy), so I've always got the desire for more. However, I guess I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, because riding in everyone else's car (especially my buddy's '04 Mach 1) makes mine feel positively anemic in comparison.

HOWEVER ... after spending 5 days a week driving the HARBL for 2 hours every day, all 47 fwhp of its fury, getting behind the wheel of the ol' notch is a HUGE shock to the senses. EVERYTHING about the car feels different, 100% better in ride quality, handling, torque, sound ... EVERYTHING. Except ... well ... I sure wish it got the gas mileage that the HARBL does... :D

what kinda mileage do you get in that geo? and do you have to pin it to the floor to keep up with traffic?

foxfan,
I was around here back as a founding member. I built up my 93 GT Vert with every part known to the mustang world. I worked every inch of that car. Thousands and thousands of dollars went into it, along with a lot of sweat and tears. I ended up feeling like you.....with the new heads, intake, cam, etc, it started feeling average. The problem is, just like you said, is that we DO get used to our cars. You get used to the feel,, the takeoff, the seat of the pants, then it all starts feeling like any other car.
It was the same in my military flying career. Started out flying jets...wow, we are hauling butt. After flying for a number of years, it all started feeling average. Speed was something the jet did well, but I got used to it and it didn't feel so fast anymore.
The thing you have to do is stay focused on what you have...a great car that has good power, and is fun to drive. Intense focus on just the speed leads to apathy, and you can burn out.
I focused too hard on the speed and lost sight of the big picture. I overlooked the amount of work I had put into the car, overlooked the fun of just punching it and feeling the acceleration.... I let all the wrong focus lead me to selling the mustang for a 4x4 Explorer...something more plush, didn't rattle, quiet, great stereo, ton's of room to haul stuff with, easy to take off road, go camping, etc.
That was 5 years ago. I ended up selling that car for a huge loss, because I was blinded to what that car really was....what I really had. The buyer sure knew though!
It took about a year before it started hitting me about what I had done. I finally started to see how my mis-directed focus had clouded my judgment.
It wasn't long before I started feeling sick about what I had done, but it was a done deal. Try driving another "regular" car for a few months. Let the Mustang fever settle down...refocus.
I was fortunate to have just inherited the 92 GT Hatch we had bought our son while he was in High School. It was not in good enough shape to let him take it off to college, so he got my fairly new 05 Explorer..decked out, mind you....and I took the mustang. Here I am, back over 5 years later, starting over. I went from a near showcar to this turd....could win the ugliest car in town contest. And you know what? I'm having a blast. It has 3.73 gears, 5 speed, and it plants me in the seat quite hard. Straight MAC H-pipe/no cats, Flowmasters that cause deafness, but this 47 year old feels young again. I am suffering chronic pain from a botched surgery 3 years ago, so my work is slow going on this mustang, but working on it I AM.
Well...I suppose that's enough rambling. Probably doesn't make much sense to the younger crowd, but wanted to toss out my experience so other's here can avoid the same mistake I made. It is all about focusing on the right things, not just a narrow view of one thing...look at the WHOLE picture...there's more to it that we just don't see all the time.
I made at $10,000 dollar loss mistake, hope nobody else does that...it doesn't feel good.
Happy driving,
Ken

you should be with me when i drive my 88 on the street.... i get looks like "what the hell are you doing driving that on the street" Needless to say, nobody races me

i'm up for a street ride in the 88, you need to update the tag if you haven't already, it expired about a week ago, and put some street tires on it, heck, drive it to Buick Vs. Ford, have somebody drive your truck pulling a trailer

you should be with me when i drive my 88 on the street.... i get looks like "what the hell are you doing driving that on the street" Needless to say, nobody races me

It's the same with me. With my engine poking out of the hood and the engine rumbling away, I get some pretty priceless looks. I especially love it when I pull up beside somebody who has their window down and just the sound of my car idling makes them roll their windows up and give me a dirty look :rlaugh:

Wouldn't work very good on a MAF set up, lol.

That's what I was thinking

totally weird... because a 12 second car feels like a dog to me.... and around here pushing out 12 second timeslips is gonna net you a lot of losses :shrug:
Pretty much anything feels like a dog from the driver's seat. You're concentrating on driving the car, and you're bracing yourself by holding onto the steering wheel and shifter. Get in the passenger seat of that same car and it will feel fast. I don't care what anyone says, 12s is a damn quick street car. Yeah, there's a lot of cars around here that are faster than 12s too, but they usually aren't driven on a daily basis, so you rarely see them other than at cruises or something.

That's what I was thinking

Pretty much anything feels like a dog from the driver's seat. You're concentrating on driving the car, and you're bracing yourself by holding onto the steering wheel and shifter. Get in the passenger seat of that same car and it will feel fast. I don't care what anyone says, 12s is a damn quick street car. Yeah, there's a lot of cars around here that are faster than 12s too, but they usually aren't driven on a daily basis, so you rarely see them other than at cruises or something.

I agree. been some people on here claiming 12's and 11's are slow... WTF ever. :nonono:

Ponypower89, look where you live. Indianapolis is racing central. Its in the blood and the culture there, not so much in the rest of the nation... lucky for you though:nice:

I agree. been some people on here claiming 12's and 11's are slow... WTF ever. :nonono:

Ponypower89, look where you live. Indianapolis is racing central. Its in the blood and the culture there, not so much in the rest of the nation... lucky for you though:nice:

Geez... you guys realize that a HANDFULL of common and "affordable" cars run better than 12's right off the show room floor right? Take the new C6 vetts as an example.. and I have to see one of those every 5 minutes on the road.

but yea, I understand that being in Indianapolis may give me a slightly skewed sense of reality and whats out there on the roads as far as cars. Hell, we have a club here called Indy HP... you can't join unless u have a proven dyno of over 500hp and the car is plated/insured. There has GOT to be at least 200 members. Its sickening. Two twin turbo vipers... a kid with an 89 Rx-7... but get this.. with a lS-1 swap and turbo setup pushing 22psi. It does get a little nutz.