Manifold replacement

mhjo

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2000
Oslo, Norway
I have a 289 wich is upgraded with new 4 port carb., new intake, cam and lifters and a silent dual exhaust system.

AS a "final touch", I have been advised to upgrade the stock manifolds. I have been given several alternatives:

1. Try to find HiPo manifold (difficult here)
2. Use a 351 manifold (do they really fit a 289?)
3. Use shorty headers

As I am not a fan of load engine noise, I am a bit sceptical to headers. Someone hinted my about header-wrapping, but I don't know what that does to sound.

Advice me please.

• Sponsors (?)

why not just pick up a set of hooker or hedmans? why do you want shorty style?? Do you not want to replace your exhaust? As for the header wrapping, I was told that it is very wrong to do it on a daily driven/street car. header wrapping does not reduce sound it is supposed to keep in the heat.

Mike

I personally like the sound of the original Tri-Y headers available from just about any Mustang parts house. They are reasonable quite with just a slight tinny sound....kind of nice on a car with quiet exhaust, on my Shelby the mufflers (if you can call them that) are so loud I can't hear them at all. Shorties will be the quietest but don't count the Tri-Ys out, too bad you can't find someone with them on a car to take a listen.