Manual Vs Power brakes

vobraman

Dec 2, 2003
I have been looking at the sssteel brake front drum to disc conversion kits. The car currently has manual brakes on it. What are thoughts on doing the power ? Is it worth the 200.00 extra dolllars ? What if any problems may I run into ? Will the pedal I have now still work on either the manual or the power.

Thanks for comments
Brian

• Sponsors (?)

I am too in the same situation. i am looking to change my manual drums over to power discs. I have talked to a representitive from ssbc and got prices from them and they have seem to be resanable. i have also been told that they make good conversion kits. they wont be any hi tech performance braking system like form baer but will get the job done. I do know that the brake pedals are different between power brakes and manual brakes. one has a longer arm then the other. another thing is that the kits are different for manual or automatic transmisions. so if you want to change later on down the road it might be a little difficult. if i find anything else i will let you know. you can always talk to a rep from ssbc 1-800-448-7722 or check them out online at www.ssbrakes.com.
matt

I have the SSBC disc brake conversion on my car and I use a power booster/master cyl from Trans Am Racing. Originally the car had a 3 speed manual. When I did the build I initially used a C4 automatic and had no problems with the pedals. I have since swapped to a 6 speed manual and still use the same pedal set.

if you run an automatic and sit at a lot of stop lights or road race you'll probably want the power setup... I like my manual brakes, a little harder to lock up on panic manuvers I always say

When I first test drove my car I was with my dad and complained about the brakes not working right. Then I said it must be because of the manuel brakes, and that I would like to switch to power brakes. He said "You can't be a pu**y and drive one of these old cars. One year later after I bought the car, he finally drove it. Going 70+MPH he had to do a missed-the-turn style stop. Well, he really missed the turn because he didn't understand you can't be a pu**y and drive an old car. :owned:

Anyways I'm currently looking for a way to adapt power brakes to a Granada disc conversion. I have found these PB conversion boosters on ebay anyone used these before?

I did a V8 conversion on a 65 coupe last year for a fellow and added power brakes with the existing drum brakes. When all was said and done, it stopped very well, but there was one big hangup- the original master cyl pushrod would not work. I called NPD, CAL mustang, Dallas mustang, Classic mustang, God, Moses, and the three wise guys, and they all informed me that the original power brake pushrod was not available new or NOS, that if I was lucky and knew what I was looking for, I might find a used one. To make a long story longer, I just fabbed one up. (took a little cut and try, but works excellent)

Just a warning concerning what I ran into, and I hope nobody else has to find this out the hard way. Good Luck.

I always said that I loved my drum brakes, currently still on the car. Properly maintaned, they get the job done; not to mention make you think twice about unnecessary speeding. However as, I've developed a need for the speed, the drums have to go. I'm ordering mustangsteve's master kit for a disc brake equipped car. I'll be running power drums for a while, until I can fork out the bones for the discs.

http://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html <<< nice kit he's got there.

About six years back I did a granada disk brake conversion in a 66 coupe. I used the booster from the granada and mounted it directly to the firewall, not on a bracket like the stock 66. This gave me plenty of clearance for the dual master cylinder. I used the stock proportining valve from the granada. I used my stock pedal, but don't remember which push rod I used. I did have to modify the push rod though, I think I welded on more rod and made it longer, I think. Also to use the granada booster the center shaft is slghtly larger than the hole in the firewall. You can take a sawzall and make four slices in the firewall and then the booster will go. I don't remember if I had to drill new bolt holes. When I was done the car stopped like a champ. I picked up a 79 granada for $150.00. I also used the spindles and rotors off the granada. I picked up new granada calipers at auto zone for about $20.00. I had less than $300.00 in the whole deal. I wish I had taken pics.

Well after tinkering with the idea of adding a booster for a few weeks, I've decided to stay manual and see where I'm at after the swap. Everyone has opinions. Some guys say it's too much effort to be manual. Some guys say you're driving a coffin without the booster. All I know is that my car sucks at the moment mostly because of the imbalance in the 35+ old braking system. Drums all the way around just isn't for me. My disk brake kits should be here in a few weeks. After I install, and hopefully remember to take pics, I'll do write up on the experience. For the record, I went with Baer. And also to dispell alot of what I read in here, they're not all that expensive in comparison to SSBC or Willwood. Actually they're cheaper than SSBC. Of course you're talking a different ball game when comparing to the Granada swap. I'm also confident that the quality is just as good if not better.

ive got a 62 falcon did the granada thing in the front and also stuck a versalies rear in as well. while doing this i found on the internet that some people used a geo metro master cylinder and booster(early falcons had less room than the mustang), so i did it. the brakes got real squishy and sensitive as hell, takes awhile to get used to after all the exercise of the manual brakes. being i had 4-wheel disk the proportioning valve wasn't nessesary. if anyone wants a pic ill go take one for ya

Why would the proportioning valve become unnessesary?

I'm not saying that power assist isn't needed. Some people may feel that way. I'm just figuring why spend the money on it if I personally don't think I need it. That's why I'll wait until my disks are on to make that decision.

I keep hearing that some people prefer manual... even when racing?

And I also realize that this world is based on the dollar. How many times have you all read article write ups that AREN'T pushing a product.

Man, I can't wait to get started on the project....

granada booster in a 66

I have installed the Granada spindles and front brakes and would like to use a Granada power brake booster and Master cyl. Has anyone done this swap ?
Please explain how? I have heard that it cannot be done?

Fredo said:
I have installed the Granada spindles and front brakes and would like to use a Granada power brake booster and Master cyl. Has anyone done this swap ?
READ STARRED SECTION
Please explain how? I have heard that it cannot be done?
About six years back I did a granada disk brake conversion in a 66 coupe. I used the booster from the granada and mounted it directly to the firewall, not on a bracket like the stock 66. This gave me plenty of clearance for the dual master cylinder. I used the stock proportining valve from the granada. I used my stock pedal, but don't remember which push rod I used. I did have to modify the push rod though, I think I welded on more rod and made it longer, I think.
Also to use the granada booster the center shaft is slghtly larger than the hole in the firewall. You can take a sawzall and make four slices in the firewall and then the booster will go. I don't remember if I had to drill new bolt holes.
When I was done the car stopped like a champ. I picked up a 79 granada for $150.00. I also used the spindles and rotors off the granada. I picked up new granada calipers at auto zone for about $20.00. I had less than $300.00 in the whole deal. I wish I had taken pics.

68 Shelby clone w/428

I'm building a 68 shelby clone with a 428. I would like to put power disc brakes on it and not have a crap load of $$$$ in it, but while retaining the shelby stock look. Is this possible with the granada swap? If so, what booster would I use? Buy a new (68 look) one?

Dave

BAD67FUN said:
Why would the proportioning valve become unnessesary?
that depends on the induvidual vehicle mine for instance has 4 wheel disk. on both pavement and gravel the front brakes lock up slightly before the rear so a propoertioning valve wouldn'd have any positive effect.

but in the main proportioning valves are used with vehicles that have a combination of disk/drum brakes, for instance the valve will hold off pressure till about 75 psi on the drum side since they grab easier than disk below that pressure, and also cut off pressure up high so they dont lock up. there are other reasons on specific vehicles but those 2 are commonly used

Power Brakes

I have a 65 GT that originally had the single master cylinder. It took some pedal power to stop even with the 4 piston front discs. I bought the power conversion sytem with dual master cyl. from Mustang Depot. I had to get the combination valve separate. After a few hook ups...It was excellent! Like 67coupestang said, if you have an automatic and drive in traffic, you want power!