mass air or speed density

• Sponsors (?)

mass air is the way to go, ive heard at least, my car is speed density and its beat - the car needs mass air to do mods such as cam, intake, heads, performance mods you know, if u can find a conversion in your price range, by it, (assumin u have SD)
Paul Perreca

Speed density calculates the amount of air entering the engine based on temps, pressure, manifold vacuum, tps reading, rpm, and stored data covering the operating conditions the engine is most likely to see. Once the amount is calculated, it then calculates how much fuel should go with that, and then adjusts based on the O2 data.

Mass air systems actually try and measure the amount of air entering the engine with a hot wire anemometer. The companies moved to mass air systems because it made it easier to create cleaner burning systems to meet increasingly more stringent environmental/emissions specs.

The mass air systems will handle a broader range of mods than a speed density system will. And if you have to pass emissions testing, the mass air system is likely to allow it with a bit more ease.

There are plenty of good running SD cars out there. For mildly modded cars, there's no performance advantage of one over the other.

You can still install intake, throttle body and heads with speed density. It's when you start getting into the cams that you can run into trouble. There are a very select few you can run with SD. But other than that, mod away!!

FiveOoutlaw said:
You can still install intake, throttle body and heads with speed density. It's when you start getting into the cams that you can run into trouble. There are a very select few you can run with SD. But other than that, mod away!!

Is this true? cuz ive read that even minor mods such as intakes will mess with the idle adn give idle problems -- however, when i read that there was a possibilty that the guy who wrote was talking about Intake/Cam at the same time i dunno

Paul Perreca said:
Is this true? cuz ive read that even minor mods such as intakes will mess with the idle adn give idle problems -- however, when i read that there was a possibilty that the guy who wrote was talking about Intake/Cam at the same time i dunno
he is right...if i didnt have such a big cam i would still be SD blowers work awesome with SD as well.

It depends because if your sensor is smaller than your intake it will be choking it up, but speed density cars don't have that mass air sensor and its just straight through at the same diameter.

I have no problems with my s/d system. Im still running stock heads and intake. I will be throwing a blower on it soon. I have no problems running it on the bottle either. Just be careful with the cam selection as mentioned before......

You can get kits from Ford for around $500-600 which I think is a rip off. You can do it for cheaper buying parts seperately. But that's $500-600 that you could be spending on heads or the like.

blue87lx said:
would i have a problem running an e303 cam with sd? my buddy has SD and is running e303 with a set of heads and it is fine?

You can run an E-303 with SD if you have a custom tune (that means chip) burned or an EEC tuner. The E cam does not run well on the stock SD program.

I have a SD too and ive trying to figure out what type of heads, intake and cam could i run? i keep hearing mixed things and i want to mod my car when i get money just i dont want to go to MAF :( and i really like the looks of the trick flow kits that are out there would they work well with SD or no? :shrug:

Look guys... you can run any combination on SD that you can on MAF so long as you're willing to get a custom tune (lust like you would for mass air). The EXCEPTION to that rule is for cams with a lot of overlap that don't provide adequate vaccum. These are cams that require additional vaccum pumps and cannisters and that sort of thing, be installed on the car so that they can use their power brake boosters, etc...

When a cam is reffered to as "SD Friendly", they're talking about being compatible with the stock burn on the computer chip. The wrinkle here is that fewer and fewer dyno places have the software necessary to burn custom tuned for SD computers.

The name of hte game with MAF is 'adaptability'. The mass air program and tables have considerably more of it built in than the SD does. You can make pretty significant changes to mass air cars without having to burn a chip each time. It should also be noted that almost all of the EEC tuners out there support the mass air computer where the same cannot be said for the SD (although I've heard rumors that the TwEECer supports the SD computer). Either way, so long as you have a method that allows you to adapt your SD program to whatever your combination requires, then you're in business. It's just not as widely supported as mass air is and therefore becomes cost 'counter productive' when mass air can be had cheaper and more easily.