mass air or speed density

i was throwing this around in the winter, and i did ALOT of reading and decided just to skip the possible problems or headaches and just do the conversion. i could have did mine for about $140, but decided to get a C&L at the same time for my larger injectors. but i got the compouter for $120, taurus mass air meter (same as the mustang 5.0) for $15 and wiring for about $5 (totaling about $140 this is canadian funds BTW). i just left the connector attached to the MAF sensor when i brought the part to the counter and they rang it up as one peice, and i pocketed the pins for the computer, which i got from a 4 banger mustang at the same junkyard. if you do it this route its not all that bad and the instructions on this site in that link above are very very detailed and left no second guessing :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

yea, definitly not the easiest question. have'n a hard time asking the question in a answerable manner in fact.

Im going to have to do some more research on what how and why the computer all controlls with in the fuel system first, matching the mechanical components aside. Its a whole other ball game than carberators lol. Thats mostly where im stuck at in my head make'n the transition between carb set ups and EFI.

You can't try to think your way through it....you just have to jump in with faith that you'll figure it out.

This is both my first V8, and my first attempts at significant 'hot rodding' of an injected motor - having grown up during the muscle car era. Mine runs quite strong by my standards, idles near stock, starts right up cold allowing you to drive right off 15 seconds after startup on a 15F morning and routinely gets 18-20 mpg around town, and 24-26 mpg on the highway. And that's with 3.73 gears (shorter tires - think Stang with 3.90's). Don't believe I could go back to a carb under any circumstances. And any older carbed car I might buy would soon be converted to efi.

But - it still comes down to preference. At least until the Feds do away with the carbs completely. It's a matter of time....

Michael Yount said:
You can't try to think your way through it....you just have to jump in with faith that you'll figure it out.

This is both my first V8, and my first attempts at significant 'hot rodding' of an injected motor - having grown up during the muscle car era. Mine runs quite strong by my standards, idles near stock, starts right up cold allowing you to drive right off 15 seconds after startup on a 15F morning and routinely gets 18-20 mpg around town, and 24-26 mpg on the highway. And that's with 3.73 gears (shorter tires - think Stang with 3.90's). Don't believe I could go back to a carb under any circumstances. And any older carbed car I might buy would soon be converted to efi.

But - it still comes down to preference. At least until the Feds do away with the carbs completely. It's a matter of time....

ah im not going to remove EFI to put a carb on just because i dont understand EFI as well as i'd like. I'll just have to get a better understanding of EFI. I think the biggest hurdle for me to jump over is accepting that i dont have complete control with it.

Michael Yount said:
Jump in with both feet - it's easier to figure out than I thought it would be. And it has the potential to control a/f over a much broader spectrum of operating conditions much more precisely than a carb can.

well its a self governing dynamic system if i understand what little i know correctly. With the ecu programmers it looks like one can control how much range it has or more specificly what preset value's it use's but its still altering f/a and some other things on the fly more or less. Not that its a bad thing its just diffrent lol And again thats only if i understand correctly. :shrug:

Im going to order those 5.0 EFI performance books. I can see im going to need them. :cheers:

Get into the tweecer forums - you'll see there's just about no aspect of it you can't alter - even the 'learning' (adaptive) strategies. You just need to know how what value or scalar you're changing impacts things.

EARTH MUFFIN - good artists copy; great artists steal. Forget the royalty.

A sure sign I'm getting older - as y'all have kids and grandkids, the legacy/planet/mess you leave behind for them to deal with will become more important to you. And we can have our cake and eat it too. Today's cars are higher performing, more fuel efficient and cleaner than they've ever been. And in real dollars (inflation adjusted) most are better bargains than they've ever been. It amazes me that the average $25K V6 front drive 4 door sedan (think Camry, Accord, etc.) will out stop, out corner, haul about as much in terms of people and luggage, get two to three times better fuel mileage, is orders of magnitude cleaner burning, has as much or more top end speed, and will just about accelerate the average muscle car of yester-year. It's good times to be a car nut.