Metallic noise on startup and more...

Fastcat

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
St. Louis
When I start up my stang I hear this rotating metallic noise coming from the bellhousing. Then SOMETIMES when I press or release the clutch pedal I hear the same noise but it isnt as intense. And it seems like when I put the car in reverse almost everytime I release the clutch pedal I can hear it. It doesnt make ANY noise while driving, just when the pedal is pressed in or released. I have a new clutch and pilot bearing... what could this noise be?

• Sponsors (?)

though i have more questions, first blush guess would be TOB. what flavor did you use when you did the clutch install?

good luck.

Ok Im stupid... it took me a whole hour to figure out TOB = Throwout bearing. I didnt put ANY grease on the TOB, so thats probably my problem. What kind of grease goes on the TOB, and I know you cant tell until the tranny is removed but do u think I messed up the shaft it slides on?

sorry, you got it (TOB = throw out bearing).
the sleeve the TOB slides on is the bearing retainer. stock ones are alum and can get chunked up. steel retainers are preferred over the stock aluminum ones.

good luck.

it is up to you. i prefer synthetic grease myself, but there are many choices.

however, since you need to pull the trans to properly grease the TOB race, i would get a new quality TOB instead. also inspect the retainer.

you are sure that fluid level in the trans is up to snuff, right?

good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
it is up to you. i prefer synthetic grease myself, but there are many choices.

however, since you need to pull the trans to properly grease the TOB race, i would get a new quality TOB instead. also inspect the retainer.

you are sure that fluid level in the trans is up to snuff, right?

good luck.

Ditto... there's no way in hell I'd go through the trouble of getting to a TOB and not replace it.