MGW shifter installed...

joelliott

May 17, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Finally got enuf time to install this shifter in my 85gt T5. Its an awsome unit. Highly recomended. Install was flawless. Unit snaps into gear, shifts quite and nice. Picts are in my garage here. I used a jyard 87+ shifter boot and made a short boot outa it. Its gonna be redone with my stock rubber boot but I didnt wanna mess up and have a screwed up stock boot, so I used the Jyard first. ttyl.
Joe E.
Thanks MGW! :banana: :banana: :banana:

• Sponsors (?)

I ordered one sunday. Figured I would take a chance on this one since folks say its so quiet. I ordered the blue handle. Please give more details on your boot modification.

Now that I think about it, I prolly dont want to do that. I rarely lock my car and that would be an easy item to steal. Prolly better to keep it covered up. :D My theory is leave it open, if a thief wants to he can look around in there and see I have nothing worth stealing and he doesnt have to break my window to find out.

squeeeg said:
What is so special about this shifter? I tihkn it looks cool but it is under the shift boot so nobody sees it, but other then that is it anyhting special

Go to www.MGWltd.com and read on it. It's a very innovative design. Completely different from anything available on the market today. Its the first time someone has actually lengthened the distance from the pivot point to the lower ball. This gives a much shorter throw than just shortening the handle. Construction is heavier than any other shifter, noise reduction system is patent pending, 360 degree adjustable handle is also unique.

J.

Ok guys. been driving a few more days with it. Still lovin it. I cant get over the difference from stock. I had to "find" gears with my stocker. I also had play in it. And it vibrated and was noisy. The MGW does take alittle more strength to move around. Its a stiffer design ovedr the stock "weene" shifter. But it is quite. Very little movement. Still deciding on where to bolt the handle down tho. I initially had it at the 6 o clock position. But im thinking of moving it to more a 7oclock. What are you other guys runnin as far as position? Later and Happy New Year.
Joe E.

Its up to you man. I was gonna buy pro 5.0 too, I got this one cause everyone said it quieter. It is quiet. The shifts are positive for sure. This thing is heavy duty. I have not used a Pro 5.0, but it feels alot like the Steeda in my friends car. Smooth is relative. It definately takes more effort to shift it. I started in 3rd last night thinking it was first. You gotta man handle the thing a bit, but who cares I can shift more precisely.

Jerry, sorry i am not getting this - what do you mean about the shifter being quieter? do you mean noise intrinsic to the shifter or road noise coming up from below. noise has never been a consideration when thinking of shifters, and you have piqued my interest. :)

Happy New Year too!

I am talking about gear noise associated with most aftermarket shifters. The boots handle the road noise. I need to take out my console and radio trim panels so I can drill new holes for my lower boot. I refuse to stretch the rubber and bolt it where it was. Relocation of that lower boot should be part of the install proceedure. Its about an inch off.

Happy new year Hissin. :spot:

Jerry, thanks for the info (i reused my stock insulation-boot with no issues fitment-wise, so i was lost - not unusual). :)

it does seem more than a few have probs with getting the stock boot back on.
hmmm, you can just use zip ties to secure the boot. :rlaugh: :spot:

I had no problem getting the lower boot on. Slipped over real nice. I decided I wanted the red handle above the boot so I got a Jyard boot out of a T5 88 stang. I cut the top off it just enuf for it to slide over the MGW shaft. Man that sounds nasty! :D I used zip ties to secure the top of the boot and bolted the bottom down using washers and the bolts from the lower boot. it looks ok but Im gonna change it alittle and use my orgional rubber boot.

As far as the shifter, it does take more effort to shift. But its alot more precise than stock. I dont have to guess on gear locations. This thing jumps right in. I like mine. Never go back.

Joe E.