midpipe questions

bluextc

Feb 12, 2006
South Jersey
Ok, I'm pretty much leaning toward replacing the midpipe, now trying to decide between o/r and catted. How hard would it be to put the factory h back on once every 2 years for inspection? I could get the mac prochamber that comes with both, but that would pretty much eat up almost all the money I've got, so I was hoping to hear it's not that big of a deal, because if not, I should have enough left over for either gears or an SCT tuner.
Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

get an O/R one. Can of Pb blaster and the assorted tools.
Honestly it takes me about 30min to change from one to the other on my car then again mine has been off and on so many times I can prolly do it in my sleep.

If your curious, try taking the stock one off and then putting it back on. This way you'll know how to do it once you get the new one and you'll have a rough idea of how long it will take you.

Food for thought, i really like the fact that my 99 has cats on it, i always hated not having them on my 89. Any cop that pulls you over and wants to be a PITA can write you a ticket. I think the piece of mind that they are there along with the time savings when switching is worth the extra money. Look at Corral.net in the classifieds, there are usually a couple used ones floating around.

you could always get the pro chamber then order the cats later.

I have a pro chamber with cats right now. I plan on getting the off road legs soon. But i'm not sure if my stang will pass smog with just the hi flow cats though....just an idea

04gtdrop said:
you could always get the pro chamber then order the cats later.

I have a pro chamber with cats right now. I plan on getting the off road legs soon. But i'm not sure if my stang will pass smog with just the hi flow cats though....just an idea
I did the opposite. I have an off road Prochamber then I bought the catted legs like 6 months later. The catted legs are sitting in storage in case the inspector notices I don't have cats and won't pass me without them, or if I get a "fix it" ticket.

Yeah just be prepared to have a stinky car with an o/r midpipe. No one told me my car was going to stink. I wouldn't care except theres a leak from the header to the drivers side leg, so it stinks. I also dont want to fix it just yet, i was just under my car 2 days ago and my bruises and burns need to heal first. Oh yea since i mentioned my burns, make sure you let your car sit for a long time before doing the H... Who woulda thunk that cats get hot? I let it sit for an hour after driving for about 15 minutes, but that wasn't enough... but i was in a rush and had only 2 and a half hours to do it.

IMO the hardest part was jacking the car up... I guess my springs settled some more somehow 3 months later because now i cant drive up the ramps and i rubbed pulling into the same parkikng spot i pull into everyday. So i had to use my pos jack to SLOWLY jack the car up on either side. It was a pita. As far as installing it goes, its really eays, this coming from a guy who did it to his auto which is supposed to be alot harder.

BaXTeR3221 said:
If your curious, try taking the stock one off and then putting it back on. This way you'll know how to do it once you get the new one and you'll have a rough idea of how long it will take you.

Food for thought, i really like the fact that my 99 has cats on it, i always hated not having them on my 89. Any cop that pulls you over and wants to be a PITA can write you a ticket. I think the piece of mind that they are there along with the time savings when switching is worth the extra money. Look at Corral.net in the classifieds, there are usually a couple used ones floating around.
Thats true...i went with the Bassani X with cats because i have had 2 cops look under my car for them while driving through the roadside checkpoints they do so often here in NJ. Never had them until all these Ricers start blowing around with Coffee Cans.

Well, saw some of this too late, wasn't on much yesterday and ordered the mac o/r h pipe this morning before work, and have an email it's been shipped. I'll just take my chances for now, I'm planning to replace the full exhaust down the road anyway, and it was pretty cheap. I'll update once it's in. Thanks for all the help :D

PlatinumDevil said:
IMO the hardest part was jacking the car up... I guess my springs settled some more somehow 3 months later because now i cant drive up the ramps and i rubbed pulling into the same parkikng spot i pull into everyday. So i had to use my pos jack to SLOWLY jack the car up on either side. It was a pita. As far as installing it goes, its really eays, this coming from a guy who did it to his auto which is supposed to be alot harder.

easy solution- drive your front wheels onto two planks (something a little wider than a 2x4), then the jack will fit right under anywhere in the front end.

bluextc said:
Well, saw some of this too late, wasn't on much yesterday and ordered the mac o/r h pipe this morning before work, and have an email it's been shipped. I'll just take my chances for now, I'm planning to replace the full exhaust down the road anyway, and it was pretty cheap. I'll update once it's in. Thanks for all the help :D
update :hail2: let us know how it sounds and feels.......and how the install goes. You should gain some hp :D

As i've asked in so many threads so far already, what do you guys do about the check engine light, dont you get it when installing an offroad (cat-less) pipe?

Anyways, I have the Magnaflow Magnapac cat-back, sounds pretty good, and just ordered a BBK off-road X-Pipe. How will it sound, and must I absolutly use the MIL Eliminators from steeda, or anything like it, to avoid the check engine light coming on after the install??

I would really prefer to have a functioning MIL, plus it's annoying at night to have that light on, I dont want it on after I install the pipes.

Suggestions/opinions? Oh and how will it sound compared to now, all the rest of the exhaust is stock except for the cat-back.