Might be trading 4.6 for 5.0 soon...

crashGTR1

Dec 2, 2003
Chicago
Hey everyone. I'm normally in the 4.6 forums, but I might be trading to a 5.0 soon, so I figured I'd post here. Right now, I have a 1998 GT 5-speed that I absolutely love...she's my baby, BUT the work situation kind of sucks right now, so it might be better to sell her if things don't improve. If I get rid of my car, I'm getting another Stang for sure, but I might go with a Fox body, because insurance would be cheaper. What is there to really know about the 5.0? I know I'll probably have more low-end grunt than with my 4.6. I also heard the 5.0's are easier to work on. True? I know parts are cheaper, which I definitely don't mind. How much rwhp/rwtq can you get out of an N/A stock block 5.0? Also, is the T5 tranny really as fragile as I've heard (I have a T45). Any responses are much appreciated. Thanks.
--Adam

• Sponsors (?)

I can't answer all your questions...but I'll see what I can do...

A stock 87-93 5.0 and a 98 GT will be a drivers race so your not going to lose or gain much from switching over unless you get a lightweight notch with a 5spd...

The t5 can last quite a while...it just depends on how you use and abuse it...

I think 5.0's are easier to work on also...

I know this isn't N/A but I have seen blown stock blocks with 450-500rwhp but they obviously dont' last as long...

Good Luck with you job and your choice... :nice:

5spd GT said:
I can't answer all your questions...but I'll see what I can do...

A stock 87-93 5.0 and a 98 GT will be a drivers race so your not going to lose or gain much from switching over unless you get a lightweight notch with a 5spd...

The t5 can last quite a while...it just depends on how you use and abuse it...

I think 5.0's are easier to work on also...

I know this isn't N/A but I have seen blown stock blocks with 450-500rwhp but they obviously dont' last as long...

Good Luck with you job and your choice... :nice:

Thank you very much. I wasn't expecting any huge difference in performance, a 5.0 might be slower, as my car is pretty fast for what it is, a little faster than other 98 5 speeds. I asked about the t5 because I've heard it referred to as 'glass' and I know its maximum torque handling is lower than the t45, which I have no complaints about. I love my car as it is, I really would prefer to keep it, but if I have to kill myself working for it, I'll trade. Thanks...I'm already seeing what other jobs are out there for the summer...I wouldn't mind construction or something, as long as it pays the bills.
--Adam