MINI STARTER WIRING???

jcode68 said:
I have a Powermaster mini starter I put in recently and their directions actually tell you to use a jumper wire. I have done this and not experienced any problems to date and hopefully won't. Maybe this wiring issue applies to certain starters?

My cars use the Powermaster too and like I said, I've never had a problem even after lots of use.

I will have to see if I still have the installation sheets, but it does sound like they are designed to use the jumper when desired.

• Sponsors (?)

wont turn over

Ok, so I put in a 93-4 mini starter in my 89 GT and completed the wiring. However, because I hadn't checked out the right way to wire it, I crossed two wrong wires and the starter began to engage and disengage violently for a second or two before I could pull the power.

Now it smells like I fried something, and the car has accessory power but no solenoid click and wont even try to turn over. So... did I fry my new mini starter? Did I fry one solenoid or both? I hate to just start replacing parts...

blackrook7:
wont turn over
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, so I put in a 93-4 mini starter in my 89 GT and completed the wiring. However, because I hadn't checked out the right way to wire it, I crossed two wrong wires and the starter began to engage and disengage violently for a second or two before I could pull the power.

Now it smells like I fried something, and the car has accessory power but no solenoid click and wont even try to turn over. So... did I fry my new mini starter? Did I fry one solenoid or both? I hate to just start replacing parts...

You probably fried a wire. Make sure the solenoid is grounded (bolted to the inner fender) and put a test wire from the Bat + to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. does it click? If not, the sol is probably bad, if it does, then the wire from the ign key going the the "S" might be the fried wire. Check it out, it should have 12V when in the crank position. A volt meter is OK, but a test light or the solenoid itself is a good way the check it. Also don't forget the park/neutral safety switch if you have one.

Here is a diagram of the before and after wiring:

MiniStarterChg.jpg

edit: I now see you have a '89, I don't know what the solenoid is like, but I assume it's very similar to the type from the 60's and 70's.

Attachments

• MiniStarterChg.jpg
    MiniStarterChg.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 127