Motor Delima

WantaGT

Jul 13, 2003
ohio
Alright I have come to crucial time to build a budget motor for my 67. My choices are my 289 with D0OE (bigger valves) that is currently in the car, a possible 302 stroker variant or a rebuilt 351w that I already have. I bought the 351 to drop in buy then i balked because of hood clearance issues. I want the best bang for the buck and I'm not sure which to go with. btw this will be in conjunction with a c4 and 3.55 gears. also will have all supporting hardware.

• Sponsors (?)

Motor ??

You don't say what the condition of the 289 is in. But you do say on a budget. If the 289 just needs to be re-built then that would probably be the best. If the heads you are talking about are the 351's w/ larger valves that is a good combo. If you re-build you could go to a flat top piston (no more than 9.5:1 to run on pump gas) for a little more power. The 351 might cost you a little more with change over goodies (headers,low profile air cleaner,ect.ect) Unless you have everything or you are going to buy it anyway. The stroker will cost you the most. Just depends on what you want. HP cost's money and you did say on a "Budget"