Motorcraft Remanufactured Engine Opinions

90LX5spd

Aug 13, 2005
PA
I posted earlier about needing a stock, reliable 5.0 for my 1990 LX. I have settled on getting a reman. motor for the warranty and peace of mind. Jasper was my first choice until I heard Ford also sold reman. motors. My buddy at the dealership can snag me a long block for $1700 (3yr/36,000 warranty). Has anybody heard good or bad about Ford Motorcraft reman engines? Is Jasper the safer bet? I know from experiance the Jasper can't seem to rebuild newer overdrive trannys properly, but their motors have always been great. The car will been run hard on occasion, but won't see constant abuse (dragstrip or otherwise). Its mainly a daily driver. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

As with all dealer 'warranties' be sure to follow the warranty to a T and have documentation that you did follow it. Somehow even on new cars these dealers find loopholes in their warranties. just a thought. But if you have someone on the inside, bolt her in and have fun.

I have no experience with Fords reman'd engines. I did however have a Japser eninge before. The motor was built fairly well, but I'd recommend that you check everything out before it's installed. They [Jasper] over tightend my rockers which led to early failure of two lifters.

Motorcraft engines are as good or better than anyone elses.
If you can get an insider deal, go for it.

Don't be too hard on Jasper OD trannies, I haven't seen ANY mass rebuilder that has a great track record with OD transmissions!

srothfuss said:
I have no experience with Fords reman'd engines. I did however have a Japser eninge before. The motor was built fairly well, but I'd recommend that you check everything out before it's installed. They [Jasper] over tightend my rockers which led to early failure of two lifters.

You should check all fastners in any engine that's built for you.

Do any of the Ford engines come with forged pistons? That 345ish HP GT40 crate motor they sell looks pretty appealing, except for the hypereutectic pistons... :(

tjm73 said:
You should check all fastners in any engine that's built for you.

Yes, I did learn my lesson. When the motor arrived from Jasper, I checked all fastners for tightness instead of re-torquing everything. If I ever buy another crate motor, I will be sure to loosen all fasteners and re-torque to the correct specs.

srothfuss said:
Yes, I did learn my lesson. When the motor arrived from Jasper, I checked all fastners for tightness instead of re-torquing everything. If I ever buy another crate motor, I will be sure to loosen all fasteners and re-torque to the correct specs.

Yup an hour or two could save you untold agrivation and frustration over a problem and could even save you some money.