MPG

BigE37172

Dec 31, 1969
I just took my stang on a sat drive 2hrs away. I filled up the tank and set off. I was thinking with my new gears (3:73) that my mpg would drop but to my suprised i got on avg. 25 mpg I couldn't belive it. I was proud of my gear ******ing, tire burning lil buddy.

• Sponsors (?)

I just took my stang on a sat drive 2hrs away. I filled up the tank and set off. I was thinking with my new gears (3:73) that my mpg would drop but to my suprised i got on avg. 25 mpg I couldn't belive it. I was proud of my gear ******ing, tire burning lil buddy.
Did you calibrate your speedometer/odometer? If you didn't, then no matter what gears you put in it your calculated MPG won't have an apparent change because you're using incorrect data, i.e., more miles indicated than you actually drove . Even if you're speedo/odometer is off just a little, it'll effect your caculation.

Now if everything is correct, some folks with higher rear end ratios have noticed improved MPG in city or hilly driving because of the increased torque. Highway miles will tend to drop due to the higher revs.

My old 89 with it's 4.10's and 306 used to get 21mpg on the highway (I had to tune it to that point though). My stock 91 with 3.55's only gets 18 on a good day. :p