MPH Mongoose Kit Or 1.7 Kenne bell N/I

joshheat25 said:
I Have been looking into buying either the Vortec S-Trim From MPH Or the 1.7 Kenne Bell Non Intercooled. Both Kits are Around 4 Grand just wondering What are the Main Differences! Pro's and Con's.. I like the idea that the Kenne Bell has almost instantaneous boost but With my setup with 4.10's would That be too much out of the hole. Would the 4.10 and the Vortec Be Better for street use to get traction out of the Hole Since I hear Vortec Doesn't really go into boost until 3 grand or so??? thanx:SNSign:

Personally I'd go with the KB. You can always add an intercooler later.

Why? Because right now you and I have 4.10s in our cars because we only have 3 usable gears and they were WAY too long stock. Trouble is we now reach O/D at 110mph.
I guess this doesnt matter if you never go that fast, but the nice thing about the KB is that you could go with wider gearing than the Vortech and it would still have plenty of torque/hp. Thus you could go 3.73s or 3.55s and not run out of gear as early as you do now.

• Sponsors (?)

well it looks to me that me and gearbanger are always the only 2 that like the centri's. i like the kb's, but dont like the fact that they create more heat, and stress the engine more.

some say they dont stress more, but heard of more kb blowing stock engines then vortechs or paxtons at the same boost level.

for the same price as the kb, you can get the vortech + your choice of either the intercooler or the p51 intake or bullitt intake.

for me it will be the novi 2000 with the air to air to start off. then later ill throw on the p 51 or bullitt. (want the p 51 but need more proof of it getting good gains):nice:

Yea I don't plan on changing out the 4.10's and Imagine if I get a blower I will run out of gear at the end of the track. So the Centrifugal will create Better Times Base model to KB Base! yea I would like to get into the 12's if I spend the money on a blower!

I sold my Novi 2000, intercooler, heavily ported Bullitt intake, and Accufab single blade throttle body and almost had enough to pay for the KB 2.2 plus install. Believe me, the KB 2.2 is the way to go.

You won't run out of gears in the 1/4 with a KB and 4.10 gears. Traction will be an issue at launch, I know from personal experience, but I won't blame the blower for that. Drag setup (suspension, tires) is the key. With the auto, you'll have more fun on the street w/instant tq.

I've been in Centri blower cars many times. I had my first ride in a KB 1.7 car this year. Sorry centri boyz, KB all the way. No comparison. i was debating this for a long time too. Obviously I made my decision.

There is no comparison between a Centri and KB :rolleyes: That said 410's on a streetable blown forged car are no good unless your running Slicks no matter what blower you use. I have been there and done that. I had to walk it out of the hole with a 1.8 60' time and guess what I was getting run down due to the lack of top end from the 410 gear. I went with 355's And I still cant hook up but It is alot better :D

Whoever mentioned going 160 I am saying I would go into o/d which is obvious with a blower! I have an auto and top of 3rd is 110 most people with blowers run over 110 mph in the 1/4 therfore I go into o/d. Anyway. Kenne Bell gives you the feel of a big block. I am assuming because of the torque curve. Well here is a good question If you had 80,000 Miles on your engine would you even be thinking about installing a blower??

TweekedGT said:
I've been in Centri blower cars many times. I had my first ride in a KB 1.7 car this year. Sorry centri boyz, KB all the way. No comparison. i was debating this for a long time too. Obviously I made my decision.

A good centri setup is no comparison to a 1.7 KB setup :p. It's neat how people process reality so differently.

You've gotta kinda take each recommendation with grain of salt though.

Someone could have taken a ride in a ragged out car with a 10-year-old 6lb Paxton Ball Screw SN93 Huffer under the hood, with no mods and then a ride in a fresh 9psi KB Blown late model GT with full intake and exhaust upgrades, and made their decision and comments based on that.

Or in the same respect, a badly tuned twin screw set up against a tip/top Centi car with a set of ported and polished heads that the owner neglected to mention before taking you for a ride.

Then you've got guys who like to compare two different blown set ups based on the amount of power they're making at a particular boost level.......which is no good either, since the size of the pulley and capability of the blower actually tells only half the battle when calculating boost. A Kenne Bell will make better power (most of the time) at a lesser boost level on the gauge, since it's got a strait, large diameter, short intake runners to back it. No need for long conservative sized runners to generate low end torque figures, since the blower itself produces heaping volumes of airflow at realativly low blower RPM.

You bolt on a Centrifugal blower to a 2V car with a stock intake manifold and it's alwasy going to make less power at the same boost level as a Twin Screw, since the most of the airflow it's making is being backed up in the intake track. To compensate for this, you've ether got to force it in a little harder (to an extent) by swapping out the pulley, or bolt on a higher flowing intake to free up some of that back pressure.

In any case, I've never been in a blown car that didn't make me grin from ear to ear, regardless of what method the owner used to force air into the engine. So try not to take most of these "opinions" based on nothing more than seat of the pants feel too seriously. At the end of the day, the only way to really find out which type of blown car is the faster, is to take into consideration all of the supporting modifications and mechanical factors between the two cars and run em down the 1320 to see who comes out on top.