mustang exhaust

• Sponsors (?)

Its preference in terms of how they both sound, not how they both perform. Some people think the flowmasters sounds better, I think they just sound louder.

The Magnaflows will FAR out perform the slowmasters in terms of the exhaust flow. It you want the system that will provide you the least back pressure, go with the magnaflows.

The Magnaflows will FAR out perform the slowmasters in terms of the exhaust flow.

I have seen the write ups and yes Magnaflow did outperform in terms of flow, but it was marginal and wouldn't call it "FAR".

For most street driven cars, it simply comes down to sound preference. The 2 systems you are considering sound very different, so you should really try to hear them first hand if possible and not just from a soundclip on YouTube. I have Flowmasters on my 68 and love them. I have Magnaflows on my 2007 and believe the sound fits the car better than what the Flowmaster would sound like for that car. Do a search on this forum and you will find more threads on this subject then you will ever want to read. All opinions, I suggest you form your own if possible.

The Magnaflow may outperform the Flowmaster but it is marginal. On an extremely high horsepower motor it could make a difference but on most street cars it wouldn't really be noticeable. So, it really comes down to sound.

A 2.5 inch exhaust is a good setup. If you car has a stock 289 then 2 1/4 might be a better option.

I would try to hear both setups in person on similar cars. You could look on you tube, but its hard to really tell from the sound quality.

I have Flowmaster 40s on my 65 and love it. I think that Flowmaster sounds better on the older cars with pushrod motors. The Magnaflow seems more suited for modular motors like the 4.6 if you ask me.

I know its not a Mustang, but here is a you tube clip of a Cuda with Flowmaster and Magnaflow on it. This is a decent comparison because it is on the same car. I think this car sounds better with Flowmaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgz3x1w71qs

I personally believe it is marginal for a street motor.

I have read this as well as a few other things. It says the following about Flowmaster and Magnaflow.

Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq 249 CFM
Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq 284 CFM

If you go by these numbers Magnaflow does perform better but not by that much. Im not saying that Magnaflow is bad. I just don't like how it sounds. I am not racing my car and don't really mind giving up a couple horsepower. Other things I have read were similar to this.

All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 “ Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 ¼ “ Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ¼” Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 ½” Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

Standard OEM 2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet 138-152 CFM
Standard OEM 2 ½” Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM

This test was performed by 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine, December 2002 issue (page 55) on a '90 Mustang LX coupe with 370hp and 11 second potential. 66 pulls were made for this comparison:

The results in HP order:
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):
1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

I thought I would chime in on this thread again.

I am so tired of the Flowmaster 40s. I have had some form of a Flowmaster on all of my vehicles for the last 15 years. Some were 50 series though. I'm just sick of it now. The hollow sound they make just does not sound good to me anymore. All of my cars were stock though and just had a muffler and most had cats and so on, so the sound was tame.

I never had a V8 car with a cam and heads and headers and all of that with no cats before my 65 got back on the road again. Really what I am tired of is the interior noise on my 65. It is annoying at highway speed.

I'm starting to like Magnaflow more now.

What I really like is the Dynomax Ultra Flow. Its a straight through design. Is anyone running that?

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php

I know these are 5.0's, but its all I could find as far as video clips.

Who thinks this sounds good? I thing it sounds great!

YouTube - 91 Mustang GT with Dynomax Ultra Flow Mufflers, Mac shorty headers and Bassani o/r X

YouTube - 93 Mustang - Dynomax Ultraflow SS Mufflers

Yeah I'm sick of the Flowmasters.

There is something about the Magnaflow sound that I just don't like that much.

The MAC is too loud on the cars I have heard.

My car is just a cruiser, so I thought the Dynomax would be perfect. You don't like it?

If you go by these numbers Magnaflow does perform better but not by that much. Im not saying that Magnaflow is bad. I just don't like how it sounds. I am not racing my car and don't really mind giving up a couple horsepower. Other things I have read were similar to this.

Too bad they didn't test these. They were designed by wizards. Use your good speakers.

Those sound pretty cool. I like that. I don't think they will work with my exhaust setup though. I have the stainless JBA headers and H pipe. Then my intermediate pipes angle up towards the mufflers. Its also 2.5 inch pipe. I looked at their website and I think the Arvinode is only availlable in 2 inch. They don't list the mufflers as separate parts either.

Those sound pretty cool. I like that. I don't think they will work with my exhaust setup though. I have the stainless JBA headers and H pipe. Then my intermediate pipes angle up towards the mufflers. Its also 2.5 inch pipe. I looked at their website and I think the Arvinode is only availlable in 2 inch. They don't list the mufflers as separate parts either.

They'd work fine. Use the JBA's, and cut a stock H pipe to fit the JBA's, and from there back the Arvinode would work perfectly. If I didn't have an almost-new show-correct system when I found out the Arvinode was available, I'd get it. I might anyway.

I knew one of the guys who was involved in designing exhaust for Ford, and the oversized pipes now so popular are overrated. The BOSS 302, 428 Super Cobra Jet, and BOSS 429 had 2.25" exhaust. If Dick thought 2.5 was needed, he'd have used it. Heck, the 67 GT500 dual-quad had 2". From their standpoint, using 2.5" would have made almost no difference in cost. Their consideration was performance, and sound quality.

I drove any number of Mustangs last summer, and due to the current fad, most of them had Flowies. You can have them. One day driving with the car club to see the Autumn leaves, and I'd be under the car with a hacksaw getting rid of them. I have a car with straight-through 4" baffled mufflers, and they are quieter than Flowies. Really.

31nkeyaNJ2L._SS500_.jpg

Personally I would get a set of 2.5" Flowmaster tail pipes ($100 from Summit) and the mufflers of your choice. Have a good muffler shop make the intermediate pipes. Weld all the joints.

I tried the Borla Pro XS on the 351C in my 73 vert and they had a horrible drone between 1500-2000. For my 68 big block vert I got a set of Dynomax Super Turbos because they are supposed to be the quietest.

2 1/2 inch pipe is NOT over rated. Ford's traditionally had a problem with their heads on small blocks (I don't know too much about big blocks). The problem was that the exhaust ports didn't flow well enough. If you have a modified set of heads that have good exhaust flow and you run 2 inch pipe, you are choking your motor. I wouldn't run a 351 or larger motor on anything less then 2 1/4 inch if it was stock and certainly not less the 2 1/2 inch if it was modified.

Manufacturers will use the pipe that is cheapest to give them the results they need to sell cars, thats why most of them use crush bent pipe instead of mandril bent and the cheaper 2 1/4 inch tubing.

2 1/2 inch pipe is NOT over rated. Ford's traditionally had a problem with their heads on small blocks (I don't know too much about big blocks). The problem was that the exhaust ports didn't flow well enough. If you have a modified set of heads that have good exhaust flow and you run 2 inch pipe, you are choking your motor. I wouldn't run a 351 or larger motor on anything less then 2 1/4 inch if it was stock and certainly not less the 2 1/2 inch if it was modified.

Without fixing the exhaust port problems, big pipes and fancy cams are a complete waste of money. Lotta people can't afford a couple grand for aftermarket heads, so they have to make the stock ones work for them.

The early 289 heads were pretty clean, although port matching helps. When the smog systems came along, the stuff was added to the exhaust ports, basically could not have been worse for performance if they tried. Bad foundry quality control just made it worse. Here's an example showing both. The blockage around the edge is not buildup, it's cast iron. The big "nose" shape blocking the port is the smog pump outlet. Proper port matching produces dramatic results on these heads:

Exhaustport2.jpg

I am going to throw a vote in here for the spintech prostreets. To this day I haven't heard a car that I like better than the way mine sounds. Granted mine does have an x-pipe and with the cam wants to go to around 7000-7500 rpms. It still sounded great though with the old 8:1 compression truck cam it used to have, well as good as it could have sounded.