Mustang GT-R = Future Cobra?

• Sponsors (?)

sweet~Low~93 said:
Mustang GT-R = Future Cobra?

The pics that's been posted SUCK !!!!!!!!!!

Looks like a rice rocket

I would kill someone at Ford it they made that ugly ass car

Somebody forgot to tell this guy that in racing...form follows function. If that ugly ass rear wing means a few more hundred pounds of downforce and faster cornerning around Sebring or Road America, then it works for me.

In my opinion, it doesn't matter how ugly it is it isn't "rice" if it is functional and has an actual purpose. Too many people are too rice-consicous. Remember, these ricers are putting these wings on their cars to imitate those cars that actually need them. Not vice versa.

Mach460 said:
Somebody forgot to tell this guy that in racing...form follows function. If that ugly ass rear wing means a few more hundred pounds of downforce and faster cornerning around Sebring or Road America, then it works for me.

If the Parts have a actual purpose... For Race or Auto cross-
So be it .... great

Just don't sell this car like a 2000 Cobra R for $50k.

I just don't want that car to hit the street- Woudln't minded having that motor option for 05' :D

People are going to do dumb things to mustangs even if this never hits the streets. So why not at least have something that was designed by Ford to look and be fast. There are plenty of people with V6 stangs with big wings. People are just going to have to accept it. Personally I'd rather have someone driving a GTR down the street with it wing. Than see some V6 owner with dual exhaust cobra badges and a huge wing.

I agree with sweet low 93 It's too much, and its ugly. I dont like it. And dont say that I dont like road racing cars because I do but this one just looks like rice.

While to some people it may look like rice. Does it not deserve the chance to be part of mustang history? It could signal Ford's willingness to get back into racing. Much like the people who say that the mustangII is ugly. It still deserves to be respected as a mustang thatplayed a part in the story of the mustang history.

But the 71-73 models are still part of the mustang heritage. I personally don't like much of anything offered in the 70's. I however accept it as part of the mustangs history. Much like I accept that a race car has to have a big wing. And I don't call it rice based on the size of it's wing. As has been pointed out rice immitates race. Here we have a race car. And people are calling it rice. Makes no sense. If it had a V6 with 202hp sure maybe it would be rice. I mean if we are going to start calling cars rice. Based on the looks. Well then since the Mustang II is as small as some of the imports. Than according to the logic . It's got to be rice. I mean think about the body kit they put on the king cobras.

This is a race car concept, NOT a street car. It seems that some people just can't understand this. From the AutoExtremest:

A structurally enhancing roll cage was designed and built, so that the complete chassis package could be built up around a structure that was suitable for the extreme loads generated on the racetrack.

The production suspension geometry was retained, but key parts were replaced to reduce weight or provide additional strength for competition. Suspension pieces, including the K-member, are made of lightweight chrome-moly tubing. The race-proven dampers are coil-over, fully adjustable units featuring remote reservoirs. A strut tower brace was added for increased structural rigidity.

Rounding out the chassis package are huge, race-proven Brembo brakes. The front features 14.3-inch rotors with six-piston calipers; the rear has 13-inch rotors with four-piston calipers. Linking the whole package to the racetrack are 20-inch wheels and racing slicks provided by Pirelli. Tire sizes are 275/35/20 in front (on 20 x 10-inch, 5-spoke billet aluminum wheels), and 315/30/20 in the rear (on 20 x 11-inch, 5-spoke billet aluminum wheels).

The GTR is for real and has already been race track tested. This car is designed for road racing in the American LeMans Series, World Speed Challenge, or Grand-Am Series, etc. I imagine it could also be use in SCCA amateur road racing once that decide what class to put it in:

"We spent countless hours refining this car on development drives and at the track," says Mark Rushbrook, 2005 Mustang vehicle development manager. "The car has been to the Nelson Ledges road course in Ohio several times for 24-hour runs and has spent months on Ford's straightaways and handling courses at our proving grounds in Arizona, Michigan and Florida."

Regarding the rear wing that appears to have so many of you upset:

The rear quarter windows are blocked out in order to accommodate the fuel delivery "dry-brake" system on the driver's side. The doors retain their functionality as required by many of the possible production-based racing classes. The prominent composite rear spoiler meets several road-racing sanctioning body rules (ALMS, SPEED World Challenge).

Since this is the concept and starting as a race version and it looks like a '70 Boss, I would think this is the precursor to the Boss, not necessarily the cobra, IMHO. Especially since the original Boss started as a racecar as well.