When I mounted my cheese grater taillights, I realized there was a gap at the outside edge. I can’t stand those kind of mistakes, so I found an easy way to flush mount the taillights by just slotting the holes about 3/8” towards the outside of the car. I did have to dimple in a couple of the bolt holes so the light could sit in far enough. I think it looks much cleaner that way.
Painted the inside of the driver’s door today. When I installed the 94-95 front spindles, the ball joint bolt hole went in much further than the original one. Now the lock nut hole drilled is too high to use. Was I suppose to change the ball joint?
I also started work on the original front bumper and primered it.
Thanks Rdub. I’ve gotta order some stuff from lmr anyways so I’ll add them to my list. I went with eibach sportlines. I saw a picture of a gt with the same rims on them and I really liked the modern lowered stance. I may even go with that steeda rear bumper since I want a new rear bumper anyways. Mine has a hump in the top I can’t get rid of.
I did just use washers 90sick since you had good luck with it. The cobra 13” rotor and caliper upgrade was well worth the work. Hoses get here in a week or so. Glad to finally have to front springs in. I’ll do the back next. They should be easy.
Finally back on the ground. New 2.5” stainless exhaust. Luckily I messed up and ordered LX exhaust which is what I needed for the cobra bumper. Picked up this steel cowl hood yesterday. I hope to fire it up in the next couple weeks.
Ordered more parts this weekend. New Cervini's rear Cobra bumper, door sill outer trim, door moldings, new emblems kit, wiper cowl, headlight seal, headlight bulbs, new arm rests and a few other things. Painted the underside of the hatch before going backpacking in the mountains this weekend and plan to paint the topside tomorrow. That way I can get the hatch on this weekend. Not much left to do assuming the engine still runs great. LoL. Hope to be driving it in a month or so. Also did most of the bodywork on the driver's front fender. Putting 4 coats of clear is slowing the process down, but I know I will be very happy later on.
I may have put the first 2 coats of clear on too soon and too thick. Put a larger tip in my gun and forgot to speed up my movement. Hopefully tomorrow I can put the last 2 coats of clear and be done with the fenders. Either way, progress is still moving forward. The spoiler is for my fiancé’s Camaro btw.
Looks great in the photos! Are you happy with the results now? How hard will the clear dry to as compared to pencil lead? 2H, 4H or harder? I tried to understand your concern about applying the last application of clear.
Hopefully I can answer your question right buddy. Clear is usually “dust free” in about 15 to 20 minutes. Because I put it on so thick and probably take 20 to 30 minutes. On a scale of 1 to 10 what say a normal coat of clear would be a 5 inch thickness this was more like an eight in thickness so it’s essentially about the thickness of three coats of clear when I’ve only put two. You’re supposed to wait a few minutes in between coats to allow each layer to sort of set up in harden and get sticky before you put the next one. I didn’t wait long enough and got a couple runs. I’m human - it happens. Haha. It takes about 24-48 hours to handle typically. I tell my customers they can wash the vehicle in 3 days, but don’t go through a drive-through for 30 days. There are clears though that fully cure in air within 90 minutes though.
It’s getting there. Should have all the parts painted this week. Brake cables and other misc come in this week. My voltmeter shows 10-12 volts but haven’t tested it at the new 130 amp alternator or battery to test that. Also still looking for the ac compressor wires. I must have tucked them away I guess. Wish I knew what other wires it’s grouped with. Looks like I may have chipped the paint on the rear quarter panel. Bad place to do a blend job too.