My fickle mind set in... Just traded my Fox

Well it's a little too late for that. We've already switched titles and all. But I don't think the car is as bad as you all make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, I totally see your points being that the car is damn near perfect (except the front end being out of alignment from a front end collision). I mean I look at it is this way. The new ride already has all the expensiveness out of the way, i.e. motor work, suspension, etc. I'm going to redo the entire interior, It still has the lines for AC and power steering, just needs pump and compressor, maybe a couple other things. Paint and window tint later on down the road and I'm set. When I'm done she'll be clean. Tomorrow when I get her I'll start an interior progress thread.

also, i cant' figure out for the life of me, is there any way at all to find out all the threads that I've posted in, without manually searching the thread in search??? There's gotta be an easier way for this!

hehehe, expensive stuff huh? ALOT cheaper to make a car go fast than it is to do a paint job right. I take it you've never restored a car the right way before. A decent paint job is 3-4k, not including undoing the old ****ups. And i would NEVER swap titles on a car i havnt picked up yet.

• Sponsors (?)

Shaolin the question isn't "have I ever restored a car the right way," it's "have I ever even attempted to restore a car." There's a little that I know, and a lot that I don't. These mustangs are hobbies, and I'm learning as I go along. I spend my nights reading and learning. I have technically picked up the car, it's in the shop getting some flywheel pressure plate crap done to it. It's his bud that has the shop, so we agreed that I just keep my car until that's said and done. Yes, I technically still could back out, but I don't think I really want to. I'll post pics when I get the car back tomorrow, some good ones, and let me know what you think.

And what makes you think corners were cut with the pic of that engine?

Wow dude! I have a dollar, wanna trade me for a $50 bill? I've done quite a bit of trading in my day, but I've always traded UP. Your blue car looks really straight. If you have ANY chance of going back on this deal, please do everything in your power to stop it from happening. If not, I'll be looking for your "OMG HELP" threads over in the tech section...

Shaolin the question isn't "have I ever restored a car the right way," it's "have I ever even attempted to restore a car." There's a little that I know, and a lot that I don't. These mustangs are hobbies, and I'm learning as I go along. I spend my nights reading and learning. I have technically picked up the car, it's in the shop getting some flywheel pressure plate crap done to it. It's his bud that has the shop, so we agreed that I just keep my car until that's said and done. Yes, I technically still could back out, but I don't think I really want to. I'll post pics when I get the car back tomorrow, some good ones, and let me know what you think.

First off the carb, i mean really? Secondly is looks like there is a uncontrolled conglomerate of wires, flexible radiator hose looks like ****, Do you know the pecs of the carb? Heads? Intake? Cam? lifters? miles? And now your telling me he's having "something" done to the car at HIS buds shop? Man you sound like waaaaaay too trusting of people. Let me put it in a little perspective, paint work is ALOT hard than turning a wrench. First off JUST materials is 1500-2000, not including the 100 hours of labor.

First off, taping LOTS of taping, probably a good 3 hours worth, then the sanding, and judging by the look of that car there will be CRAP loads of sanding. Then the body work, filler, block sanding, smoothing, then the primer, then the additional body work, then finally the paint, then the clear, and then the next 10 hours of wetsanding and buffing to a shine, then the 20 hours of removing the tape and reinstalling all the trim.

How long do you think it will take you to put an engine in the car? Takes me about 2 hours start to finish, you maybe a little more. You can find already machined 351's on CL all the time ready to run for under 1k if you're going the "going by what the seller says" way. Even if you take the entire time to put togethor the engine and install it thats WAAAAAAY less than the time required for body work.

If you dont like your car that much, you said the guy wanted 2k for the car right? Or ball park at least, i'll give you 2k for your car and fly out and drive it back or ship it here. But no way i can let that hack have a car as nice as yours. And dont think im not serious, i'll give you 2k for it right now.

Junk cheap stamped steel valve covers, wirings a mess, fexible radiator hose, cheap air cleaner on the carb, and im sure theres way more i cant see in that small pic. That thing looks mismatched on the outside and im sure the rest of it is too, just cause its a 351 dosent even mean it will be faster then your car if it isnt built right.

Dont walk away from that deal... RUN from it, that car is junk, save some money and build a motor for your car

I got the car tonight. runs amazing, but I only had the time from picking it up, to driving to work. I work nights so I didn't get any time to feel her out, although i kept staring outside at her. I think she's awesome. I'm not looking to restore her. The only car I think I would take the time to restore would be a chevelle. I trade cars constantly, so I honestly don't even think i'll keep her that long. I don't think she looks like **** either. I love working on a car. I don't really care about the face value, or how perfect she is. I want something to leave marks on streets and kill ls1's. I don't know if this car can kill an ls1 yet, but i'll know eventually. none of us can assume otherwise until I make a posting on what happens. It's not a daily driver, and honestly I don't really care if it is worth half of the other car. When it comes down to it, do I want comfort and perfection, or a classic feeling hotrod that hauls ass. I'll take the second. I'll have pictures up tomorrow afternoon

And 25th mustang, that looks just like my car! even down to the wires! but it is not the same, but wow talk about a twin. my old car has a horrible looking front left quarter panel from being nailed but someone. thats another thing im not going to miss. the horrible squeaking from the front suspension that seemed to come from everywhere and the front end being slightly to the right from a previous accident.

post pics of the new car, and videos of your first LS1 kill... i gotta feeling you just got hosed, i wouldnt trade my 97 saturn woods car for a fox with a truck motor swap. just saying. but hey to each his own. annnd, good luck beating LS1's...

I got the car tonight. runs amazing, but I only had the time from picking it up, to driving to work. I work nights so I didn't get any time to feel her out, although i kept staring outside at her. I think she's awesome. I'm not looking to restore her. The only car I think I would take the time to restore would be a chevelle. I trade cars constantly, so I honestly don't even think i'll keep her that long. I don't think she looks like **** either. I love working on a car. I don't really care about the face value, or how perfect she is. I want something to leave marks on streets and kill ls1's. I don't know if this car can kill an ls1 yet, but i'll know eventually. none of us can assume otherwise until I make a posting on what happens. It's not a daily driver, and honestly I don't really care if it is worth half of the other car. When it comes down to it, do I want comfort and perfection, or a classic feeling hotrod that hauls ass. I'll take the second. I'll have pictures up tomorrow afternoon

lol, good luck with the whole ls1 thing.

post pics of the new car, and videos of your first LS1 kill... i gotta feeling you just got hosed, i wouldnt trade my 97 saturn woods car for a fox with a truck motor swap. just saying. but hey to each his own. annnd, good luck beating LS1's...

HEY HEY HEY!!! I take offense to the truck motor swap thing!!!!:rolleyes:
351's are what the mustang should have came with....and one of those "Truck motors" stroked to the north side of 400ci will hand a 302 its arse with no remorse!!!! BTW the 351 IS a 302 with a taller deck height.

But what the OP needs to find out is what heads are on there and what intake and carb!!!

"Truck" motor in a 95 Mustang
PICT0669.jpg

"Truck" motor in 90 Lincoln Mark vii
PICT0010.jpg

Yep Pic Whoring!!! :D

Chris

There is a HUGE difference between a junkyard 351 someone buys, slaps a carb on and puts in his fox, and a 351 truck block someone builds, with the right parts. My fathers 393 came out of an old van. Has been 9.88 all motor, but I can assure you there is a bit of work done to it that your local yokal isn't doing with his junkyard swap.

Sasha, where did the 351 come from a and exactly what parts did he put on it?

Yeah well the 351's biggest drawback from the junk yard is it comes with heads that imo are too small to even be on a 302. and the intake matches that flow pattern.

He did say the 351 is at the point a "mystery motor"....To just assume someone tossed a carb on it is mean...lol

Look for markings on the heads.....like under the valve covers or on the deck area below the headers.....Then pull the distributor and see if you have a steel or bronze gear there...

A 351 isn't a bad starting point to work from...If its not fast now a set of afr's and a single plane intake will wake it up. But all were doing right now is guessing whats in the box.

ALSO ...i thought we all knew that a 351 was 49ci more than a 302....thats basic arithmetic!!!! The 351 also has bigger main caps, thicker webbing which means a bigger crank and more power potential. A proper H/C/I on a 351 will make alot more power than it will on a 302. If a 351 is a truck motor i guess a 302 is a truck/family sedan motor..... Both make pretty crappy power in stock form....but the 302 is just a lil crappier.

It sucks trying to chase down Chevys when you have a 48ci disadvantage.