My PS Pulley Jiggles, I'm Guessing This is Bad.

brentwoodboy

Nov 25, 2002
Brentwood, TN
So I took my belt off to adjust my water pump pulley and just so happened to grab the power steering pulley, the thing jiggles and even pulls out a bit (2 mm maybe). Also it is leaking fluid... This may solve my belt squeal and shredding probs as the fluid was on the belt traction area. Time for a new power steering pump? Also, what tool fits those star shaped bolts?

• Sponsors (?)

Pumps do have a little bit of endplay in the shaft, but obviously should not leak.

Star shaped bolts? Do you mean Torx bits? They look kind of like an aesterisk.

Good luck.

Nope, not Torx, almost the complete opposite, the bolt is star shaped, not round with a star indention. A regular wrench may fit it also...i may just be freaking over nothing. Im back at school now so I cant work on it, how much should I pay for a new one. Forgot to add it has always made alot of noise, more so lately.

Is it a 12 point bolt-head (like the driveshaft and pinion flange are connected with)? If so, you just need a 12 point socket.

I dont know how much SN pumps go for (fox ones are 40, so SN ones are probably 100. LOL).

Good luck.

A power steering pump is around $90 ($60 or something after a core charge), but it won't come with a pulley. Prepare to pay another $30 from ford or 50resto for one. You don't absolutely need a pulley puller. You can get a wrench around the 3 bolts that hold the pump on the bracket. Back each one out as far as it will go (eventually will hit the pulley) then pull the pump off the bracket a little bit, then loosen the bolts a little more, pull a little more, loosen a little more...... you get the idea. :nice: P/S pump swaps are easy. Just make sure when you go to fill up the new one to fill it first (so it doesn't start dry) then with the motor running, turn the wheel lock to lock, refill, lock to lock, refill until it won't take anymore. Should take 2 or 3 full turns on the wheel. Good luck!!