my stang hates me

OK, after being down for about a month, I finally get to drive it today. I've been doing a head swap on it. well, I get everything together with my nice thumper heads and my nice roller rockers and start it up for the first time yesterday. after it gets going I keep hearing what sounds like solid lifters. turns out you do need longer pushrods for roller rockers.:notnice: on top of that I had what seemed like an air bubble in the cooling system which causes higher than I liked temp. :mad: after some time and more coolant, the problem goes away. well, today I figure that since I will not be getting longer pusrods anytime soon, I'll put the stock rocker arms on. get this done and let the car warm up and no problems at all. I drive around town and keep comming back home to adjust the timming as it is have pinging issues. get it to where it would only do it while wide open but not durring norrmal driving. I figure that the computer is having problems. well, after a trip to a friends house and the movie store, it seems to be running better. few hours later I return home. in the process I get on it a little . about a half mile before my house I notice that the heat never came on and the temp quickly rises to the red. limp it back into the driveway and pop the hood to notice the overflow tank over flowing. sounds like the t-stat took a dump.crapola well, at this point I don't what emotion to feel. should I yell in anger, cry in defeat, laugh in finally losing it, or what!? :shrug: so yeah, I have concluded that my mustang hates me more than any other thing on this great planet. :Damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

I have never experienced it with a n/a motor, but I had a FI set-up that did that. Stayed cool for quite a while, and then wham... overheating. It was actually the headgasket. It was leaking cylinder pressure in to the coolant passages, causing the coolant to go out the overflow. Once it had lost enough, it got severely hot extremely fast. I hope it is just your T-stat though.
Brandon

ROLLIN5.0 said:
I have never experienced it with a n/a motor, but I had a FI set-up that did that. Stayed cool for quite a while, and then wham... overheating. It was actually the headgasket. It was leaking cylinder pressure in to the coolant passages, causing the coolant to go out the overflow. Once it had lost enough, it got severely hot extremely fast. I hope it is just your T-stat though.
Brandon
It's easy to check for exhaust in the coolant, not so easy to fix. Take the radiator cap off, start the car and let it idle. If you see bubbles coming up by where the cap was, and/or it smells like exhaust, you have a head gasket leak.

What did you torque the head bolts to? Did you re-use the stock head bolts?