Progress Thread Nasty Ninety Notch

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
I hope to document the turn of this nasty 90 notch I picked up into a gnarley 90 notch. This is almost a roller. I has the T5 in the trunk and a worn out 302 long block on a stand. That's pretty much it. The pics as she stands now says it all...

Driver Side.JPG

Front.JPG

Engine Bay.JPG

Rear End.JPG

Driver Seat.JPG

Gear Shift.JPG

Rear Seat.JPG

That's it for now. It's parts ordering time. Feel free to send me parts offers. Used is fine w/me.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

@joetrainer31
Very nice, I love that color. What's the plan for the car and engine?

Thank you! I'm actually planning on changing the color to Bright Red (code EP).The plan is really simple. I'm taking the lightest model of them all and making it lighter. It will have mild performance upgrades and more chassis tuning. Oh ya, and that interior that looks like someone murdered a greasy turd, its gotta go too.

To be more specific: I'm installing a 155lph pump, 24lbs injectors, Pro-M 75mm MAF, SVE 70mm TB, Explorer intake w/EGR, full exhaust, new short block w/roller cam, head shop will yeild 35hp more out of E7TE heads, 1.7 RRs, Under drive pulleys, K-member w/chrome molley A-arms & coil overs (65lbs drop), all energy suspension bushings front & rear, full loength subframes w/seat tie ins, SVE rear upper/lower control arms, 355 gears, electric fan conversion, 3G alternator conversion, fiber glass trunk (original has a hole + saves 30lbs), and maybe a fiberglass hood (save another 20lbs), lowering springs for the rear, and strut tower brace.

If all goes according to plan this thing will have ridicoulous acceleration and cornering due to light weight, tight suspension, and quick revving abilities. It will be like riding a big boy go-cart.

When I bought my first notch back in '93 all it took was pulleys, shorties, off road H, and flows to beat the 275hp cameros & firebirds of the day (F-bodies).

I'm excited. This should be fun and ....EXPENSIVE! Any feedback, guys?

Buy some aluminum heads like TFS or AFR's. Don't waste time and money on e7's. A good head will make a ton more power and are lighter so win / win. You can find these in good used condition all the time for around 700$. A good head/cam combo with a ported explorer intake will be around 300rwhp(mid 300's flywheel). No port job on e7's will compete with them. I wouldn't run a bunch of SVE products either. They all are Chinese crap and you get what you pay for.

Reactions: 1 user
Boy, that interior Is something else. Does it smell as bad as it looks. :crazy:You mentioned you have the lightest Fox, I see a power options. So, I can't be the "lightest" Fox. Any who. I'd leave the steel trunk, helps getting weight over the rear wheels, and I'm pretty sure the Fox came stock w a fiber glass hood. e7 heads are not worth any effort. Try some explorer heads, if budget is at most importance.

Boy, that interior Is something else. Does it smell as bad as it looks. :crazy:You mentioned you have the lightest Fox, I see a power options. So, I can't be the "lightest" Fox. Any who. I'd leave the steel trunk, helps getting weight over the rear wheels, and I'm pretty sure the Fox came stock w a fiber glass hood. e7 heads are not worth any effort. Try some explorer heads, if budget is at most importance.

In regards to his comment about the lightest Fox he was referring to the Coupe (notchback) being the lightest model available over the GT and LX and the verts. I agree with you about the trunk lid, keep more weight over the tires and concentrate weight reduction to the front of the car.

As far as heads go it's aluminum all the way.

@joetrainer31

I'd go with the UPR kmember and a-arms but do not buy a coil over "kit" that converts a stock strut into a coil over. Pony up a few extra bucks for some quality coil overs or you will likely get a lot of chattering over bumps and the noisy suspension will drive you crazy. Search about it, it happens often. The Kmember, a-arms and aluminum heads could shave about 80+ lbs off the front and help improve weight transfer/distribution. Relocating the battery to the trunk helps too.

Keep the progress coming! I love build threads especially when it involves a notch!

Totally go w aluminum heads, skip the pulleys and other things to budget for some tfs or afr's. The trunk car was wayyyy lighter than the vert, and the hatch. OP, good luck w the build.

The power windows were lighter than the mechanical ones.

How so? I've never weighed the power vs manual options before. But if you have power Windows, doesn't that mean you have the whole "Power" options package? (Power trunk, Windows, doors, cruise control, etc?)