Need help quik Motor Mounts are kicking my ass!!!!!!!!

Camman

Founding Member
Jan 5, 2000
Las Vegas, NV
:evil: I am so frustrated at the moment. I had a leaking freezplug and I had to take the motormounts out to get to it. My mounts were shot and I have had some in my storage for a couple years so I decided now was a good time to do it(this was the day before school started). Anyway I got the driver side mount out with little trouble, and back in after I removed the oil filter. The passenger side is still in the car. Heres my problem I CANT get the freaking bolt holes to lign up. I have tried moving the mount around with a screwdriver as a pry bar. I am at my wits end to be honest because I just cant seem to get the ****er to lign up. So here is what I am doing. Both mounts are unbolted. I have tried a jack at the front and rear of the oil pan, with the rear being the best for me(due to height of the car). So I have a few questions

1) Tips on how to get the holes ligned up? The tranny mount is still bolted up, but I dont seem to be getting any bind there. THe holes on the block are toward the rear of the car and toward the drivers side of the car.

2)Somehow I lost one of the motor mount bolts.. any one know what size these are? I am gonna make a run to pep boys, but I would prefer to drive instead of walk.. after I get the mounts back in I will limp on just 3 bolts in them.

on a side note I am lucky I have a vert. The rubber was totally disinegrated in the old mounts so I am glad I replaced them. I just need my car back for school tomorrow i will get this done today just frustrated at the moment

Thanks for the help guys

• Sponsors (?)

I had all of the mounts loose including the trans mount. Then I bolted the mounts to the engine and then lowered it down so I could install & tighten up the one big nut on each mount. You can place 2x4s between the headers and the body to hold up the engine if you have to move the jack.

If the engine mounts are bad, the trans mount is also probably shot.

Well jacking the engine up higher made the job pretty much cake(as much as it can be with just me and a 600lb engine.). I actually made myself some custome spacers(ghetto style) for my jack to get the engine up high enough. so for anyone interested, I unbolted both motor mounts and jacked the engine up as high as I could get it(the ac compressor pulley was a few inches above the fan shroud). After the motor was this high it was WAY easy to put the motor mounts in... I read alot of people have trouble with the driver side mount, I actually got it in there before I jacked the engine up higher, all I needed to do was remove the oil filter, which I suspect would have been needed even with the engine being higher.