Need Mellow, Least Drone Mufflers

MarcZ

Oct 17, 2009
My girlfriend has an 05 saleen 3v with the exhaust rattle. I plugged the vacuum to keep the valve open, but when I do that it's too loud for her, she has semi-sensitive ears. The other problem is the occasional low frequency drone which I personally could live with, but even I must admit it is worse than my Camaro with headers, 3 inch catback, and straight though mufflers (have a pypes race pro now). She lives with it now because she has to but I'd like to fix the problem for her. But, she does like the sound it makes, just not the drone and especially not the rattle. I think I heard that the 05 mufflers where actually made by borla or magnaflow.

So, I am looking for a pair of single in/single out mufflers that will bypass the valves completely so that it only come out the center that are not too loud and have minimal drone (take note that I do not expect there to be a miracle muffler that will have zero drone, just looking for less drone).

I've considered flowtech from sound clips I've heard and also pypes because it gave me exactly what I was looking for in quieting down my ride just right, almost no drone, but will it work for this? I am hesitant to think so because my pypes race pro with no tailpipes (coming straight out of the muffler was even louder than my straight through setup. Not until after the tailpipes were on did it do the trick. The saleen has mufflers closer to the rear of the vehicle and much less tailpipe length, or so it would seem, whereas my camaro has a longer tailpipe length due to the muffler being right behind the rear diff. So it's between pypes race pro, pypes street pro and maganflow, online sound clips can be deceptive, so I'm looking for personal input. I'm not sure if I can use stock GT mufflers I think I have to use same side offside inlet and outlet mufflers.

saleen_exhaust.jpg

p.s. the car is a stock 05 saleen 3v, no mods.

• Sponsors (?)

My recommendation would be to take it to a good muffler shop and see what they can do for you. With that setup your going to have to find the correct size with the correct inlet/outlet configuration and then find one that doesn't drone.

Earl

interesting, I did not know there were literally 4 outlet pipes. As for the question...Borla is quiet...really quiet, yet descent sounding..but for that setup...your going to have to do custom..or something.

And as for everything is stainless steel, is it good to weld on that? will it rust out? I don't know, maybe that have special stainless steel welding rods.

Definately gunna have to do sum custom work, but shouldn't be too big of a deal imo. I think get yourself a pair of Magnaflow full bodied mufflers >>>>> the offsets that you need, then get the muffler shop to fab up the inner pipes from the mufflers to the rest of the system. I dunno meng, it seems hard to believe that her factory system has so much drone. I know that the full Magnaflows are deeper, but quite quiet (dissapointing to most of us lol). I love the center exhaust - gl and I hope it works out for ya

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, her ears are sensitive. After many hours of reading about drone on 05+ mustangs and different loudnesses of mufflers.....I'm still not exactly sure what to get. I kind of have it narrowed down to either Edelbrock SDT (Sound Deflection Technology) mufflers or Pypes Race Pro, with the edge going to Edelbrocks for their claim of eliminating resonance. But hardly anyone runs these, let alone on a Mustang so I'm not sure if it'll be "too loud" for her. I have heard the sound clip jegs provided and I was impressed, doesn't sound like any mustang I've heard, I've also heard it on a few camaros, but again, the loudness is not certain with audio clips.

I went under there and measured and the edelbrcok, or pypes muffler if I choose, will fit in there. Few companies make a same side offset muffler, so it limited my choices to start with, and neither of my choices do but I think it will work fine with their Center In/Offset Out muffler. All that will have to be done is the inlet pipe will need to be moved over a bit to the center. The new muffler will be longer, but there is room enough for it to be moved back towards the bumper without any piping on that end needing to be re-routed. It's not a direct swap but it should be cake for some of my preferred muffler shops I've been to.

I will be sure to post a clip here and probably on youtube so someone else can be helped with a muffler choice.

Here's where I heard the edelbrock sdt clip on an 05 mustang gt

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edelbrock-Sound-Deflection-Technology-Mufflers/756261/10002/-1

I hear the bullitt mufflers are really nice sounding units that have no drone but I'm not so sure about rigging those to work with your setup. Have you tried looking for generic magnaflow mufflers with a single in and dual out design? One could go to your center exhaust the other a dump.

Good recommendations, thanks guys.....I just bought a pair of Thrush turbo mufflers for $20 each! If those don't work out I'll try the GTA or bullitts. I'll be back with a sound clip in a few weeks when we get them installed....not sure how much it'll be, maybe $60-$100 labor.

Instead of cutting up that sweet system you could add a set of Resonators behind the H pipe, should help a lot.

I was thinking that too. Or even some short resonators between the mufflers, and the center exhaust. That won't fix the rattle, but if it worked you can at least plug it open and live with it. That's a crazy (expensive) system Saleen has. In theory it looks good, but talk about over complicating something, sheesh.

I considered resonators, but I don't feel like I'm cutting it up too bad, just a muffler swap. She and I want something slightly different sounding anyhow, instead of just a low frequency hum that a lot of stock 05+ mustangs have. Unfortunately there are zero soundclips of the Thrush turbo mufflers I bought and many others on the 05+ GT, so I only had people's descriptions of the muffler to go off of as far as them being no drone and having good sound control. When we start making more money we will switch a few mufflers around, if she's not satisfied with these that is. I liked the Edelbrock SDT mufflers from the clip they provided, though they sounded like absolute **** on a 2000 4.6 2v GT.

Won't be able to put them on for another few weeks.