Need some advice...

swiller of beer

Jan 4, 2004
I have a 1989 LX 5.0 5spd Mustang, with a little over 125k miles and in need of some work... I bought it cheap a while back from a friend of mine and used it as a daily driver for a couple years... My friend had installed a B303 cam, Cobra intake w/ stock t-body and MAF, shorty headers, 3.73 gears and an o/r H-pipe... I am just wanting to refresh the engine and not sink a lot of money into it.. My question is, what do I need to have to work with this cam/intake/exhaust combo, or should I just shelve it and get some stock parts.. The engine is stock other than the mentioned parts, and the engine seems to choke at 5000 Rpm.. I have checked the basics so far as fuel pressure/volume and timing...

• Sponsors (?)

The set up you have should fall off a lot above 5000rpm. Look ahead and decide where you want to go with, a simple rebuild, or maybe some more power. HP is addictive. The more you get the more you want. Any ideas of the future plans, if so let us know and then you can get some better advice.

I have the engine apart and it looks like the bottom end won't need much at all, I tore the heads down and checked the valves, seats and guides and it has a couple of loose guides explaining the oil consumption problem I was having... The problem I have is that I don't want to spend a ton of money on the engine as it is going to be my daily driver again after winter.... I did't know If I should reinstall the stock intake and cam and have the heads fixed, or If I should build around the cam and intake and try to find a cheap aftermarket set of heads... Its a daily driver in the end and it will never see the track, and I'm clueless when it comes to fords anyway... (I'm a GM dealer Tech) I just feel that the cam and intake are useless with stock heads and maybe the engine would run better in stock configuration...

The Cam and intake help but yeah factory mustang heads really are not that good. There is a guy on here (Thumper)that can work wonders on the stock heads. But a good set of aftermarkets are not a bad idea either. You can get a nice set complete for under $1000. By the time you rebuild those you will put a dent into a thousand, if you do it right., e-bay is also a good option. Mustang guys contunually upgrade...more power so selling good used parts makes for a good buyers market. Intake heads, even used cams can be had although I have a problem with used cams. Or you buy a crate motor for $3k and just bolt it in. If you just want to drive it and enjoy it that could be a good option for you. You can even get a factory 225hp engine for around 2k

Say I was to go with a mild set of heads, would I not need to upgrade my fuel delivery (i.e. Injectors) as well as corresponding parts whatever they may be.. :shrug: Also, would there be any benefit form switching out the shorty headers to long tubes...

No the stock fuel system will take you to 300hp, Although I would recommend a fuel pump increase. The stock #19 injectors are fine. You will also need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. This will allow you to increase the fuel pressure to keep up with the motor. I started out saying no didn't I. Well you can leave it stock but depending on how far you upgrade the heads/cam you know motors dont like going lean. Just a set of heads and the same or simular cam and intake the stock system will be fine.

Some will, but I would definitley suggest some good roller rockers. Pushrods should work fine, but My most hated expression...

While you are there why not go ahead and do everythin. I think its $60 for a good set of hardened pushrods. Its all going to depend on what head you get. I would suggest the AFR 165 for what you want. There cheap (well for what you get) and completely compatible with stock components. I have never used them myself but if you check everyones motors on here you will see a lot of AFR. Check out their website
http://www.airflowresearch.com/

thegabrielles said:
While you are there why not go ahead and do everythin. I think its $60 for a good set of hardened pushrods. Its all going to depend on what head you get.

I agree with him about the pushrods.
Hardened ones will stabilize your valvetrain at high rpms.
As far as heads go....really just depends on how much money you want to spend....the AFRs are pretty wicked like he said.

swiller of beer said:
Say I was to go with a mild set of heads, would I not need to upgrade my fuel delivery (i.e. Injectors) as well as corresponding parts whatever they may be.. :shrug: Also, would there be any benefit form switching out the shorty headers to long tubes...
Longtubes sound better and show more power. Some believe that you may lose a little low end torque but i think its BS. I switched and the car actually felt stronger over the entire RPM range.