need some educated opinions on upgrades

justinb1

Nov 9, 2010
I have a pretty much stock 94 vert. So far i have ordered a gt40 lower and upper intake, bbk 70mm throttle body, bbk underdrive pulleys, bbk CAI. I have these parts ready to install on the car now. These bolt ons seemed to me the easiest and most bang for the buck, let me know if you disagree. My other thoughts to upgrade were the gt40 high flow cylinder heads, just dont know how extensive of a project that will be. Also i am thinking about installing a different cam, thinking about an e303, or b303, or x303, let me know which if any of these would be a good upgrade for me. I want to install all of these parts at one time so that i dont have to keep tearing the motor apart everytime I get enough jack together to purchase another upgrade. I have pretty good mechanical knowledge, and have tools and access to a garage with a lift. I am very green when it comes to building a 302 though. i hope to end up between 350-400 RWHP. Any advice you can spare will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. JB:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

get a supercharger or turbo...since you have the gt40 intake you can use the gt40 lower with a KB and get to the 350rwhp goal.

Without a fairly dedicated build I doubt without boost or bottle you will reach 350-400 rwhp with gt40 heads, gt40 intake, and an alphabet cam.

Really with custom cam, AFR or TFS heads, and at least a ported gt40 lower your probably looking at 300-325 rwhp.

Now toss on some gt40 heads and some boost or bottle and that is easy to get to...maybe without the gt40 heads.

Now keep in mind 300rwhp would be a solid low...low 13 to high 12 car with a half arse susp./tire setup and decent driver. The "bar" was set at 12.01 with a vert 5spd car that put out around 300rwhp...not the norm but shows what is possible.

There is a huge thread on here called "Offical 300rwhp GT40...." That should give you a realistic idea of what to expect out of those heads. There are a lot better cams available than the old letter cams.

Kurt

i hope to end up between 350-400 RWHP.

With GT40 heads/stock cam/GT40 intake/1.7 rockers/full bolt-ons and some weight reduction, you could reach ~270rwhp and low 13's. You'd definitely need to add forced induction to reach 350-400rwhp and that would be enough to get you solidly into the 11's provided you improve traction.
My advice would be to get a pair of full length subframe connectors. Without the roof, the vert's chassis is less rigid than the coupe's and it'll be subjected to more twist when you add HP.
Then you need rear axle gears. If you keep the 302 N/A, 3.73's are just about perfect. If you add forced induction, 3.55's or even 3.27's would be better.

blksn955.o said:
The "bar" was set at 12.01 with a vert 5spd car that put out around 300rwhp...not the norm but shows what is possible.

That was killercanary and he ran a best of 12.03 @ 112 with 304rwhp. You can draw some inspiration by visiting his site at My Killer Canary Mustang Page
He's currently running a 405rwhp 331 and his best run with that set-up is 11.5 @ 121.

Thank you all for the wonderfull feedback, i am putting it in the shop this weekend to get the upper and lower gt 40 intake installed, 70 mm bbk throttle body, underdrive pulleys, and a bbk cold air intake. i will let you all know what i come back with when i get it on the dyno tuesday!! thanks again for your help!!:hail2: