Need Some Lowering Help

Ironwarrior

Jun 24, 2007
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and joined to learn more about suspension and what parts I need to lower my car. I've read a lot of posts and have been confused as to what parts I need to produce a nice drop without compromising additional tire wear, bump steer, and severe ride quality.

I was highly considering the Eibach Sportline springs.
I measured the gap between the top of my fender and top of tire and have approximately 4 inches in front and back. With this said I thought the Sport lines would help deliver more of the look I am looking for. I would probably be happy with about 1/2 to 1 inch gap at most. I think this might be about right. I have known people who have installed the Eibock Prokit and they were disappointed cause it still left to much gap and didn't really lower the way they intended.

I am confused first off which springs I should use... Again I am leaning toward the Eibach Sportlines. I already ordered the Motorsport CC plates
, and am considering the Tokico shocks/struts, but not sure which model. I was told the D-Specs were pretty nice, but again I want to make sure they don't produce a racetrack stiffness as again I will be using my car for the street. I do want a shock that will help reduce bottoming out in bumpy areas. I did like the fact that they are adjustable though for dampning. Here is were I am mostly confused... I've read about some needing offset steering rack bushings as well as bump steer kit and ball joint kit. Lastly some have stated they had to use Ford spacers cause their tires rubbed when reaching full turning radius. What parts do I need for a 2 inch drop that will set me up where I won't have to be sorry later, and know I did the job right? Can someone please help me?

Thanks

What I am looking for:
I want a nice looking stance.
To be used for street use only.
I want the right parts so I don't ruin my Goodyear ZR tires... Very expensive.

What I have:
2000 Gt Mustang
17 inch wheels
Goodyear 245-45-17

• Sponsors (?)

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and joined to learn more about suspension and what parts I need to lower my car. I've read a lot of posts and have been confused as to what parts I need to produce a nice drop without compromising additional tire wear, bump steer, and severe ride quality.

I was highly considering the Eibach Sportline springs.
I measured the gap between the top of my fender and top of tire and have approximately 4 inches in front and back. With this said I thought the Sport lines would help deliver more of the look I am looking for. I would probably be happy with about 1/2 to 1 inch gap at most. I think this might be about right. I have known people who have installed the Eibock Prokit and they were disappointed cause it still left to much gap and didn't really lower the way they intended.

I am confused first off which springs I should use... Again I am leaning toward the Eibach Sportlines. I already ordered the Motorsport CC plates
, and am considering the Tokico shocks/struts, but not sure which model. I was told the D-Specs were pretty nice, but again I want to make sure they don't produce a racetrack stiffness as again I will be using my car for the street. I do want a shock that will help reduce bottoming out in bumpy areas. I did like the fact that they are adjustable though for dampning. Here is were I am mostly confused... I've read about some needing offset steering rack bushings as well as bump steer kit and ball joint kit. Lastly some have stated they had to use Ford spacers cause their tires rubbed when reaching full turning radius. What parts do I need for a 2 inch drop that will set me up where I won't have to be sorry later, and know I did the job right? Can someone please help me?

Thanks

What I am looking for:
I want a nice looking stance.
To be used for street use only.
I want the right parts so I don't ruin my Goodyear ZR tires... Very expensive.

What I have:
2000 Gt Mustang
17 inch wheels
Goodyear 245-45-17

H&R Supersports, they have quality (which the Sportlines don't) have an almost as low as drop as sportlines, the dampers would depend on how much money you are willing to spend, since you tires are "really" expensive then buy some expensive dampers that'll last, like Bilsteins

Do not go with offset rack bushings, they are not stable for stock cars

either way you look at it if you lower your car 2in you will have problems since the car isn't made to dropped more than an inch, you'r alignment specs would be out of the stock parameters, and thus would lead you to getting Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates for adjustability, but not all the chassis' are the same, some are off than others, then you might not get the alignment in spec, but that's a small risk

There is a photo thread here http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=605976

Look around and see who has what springs and how much of the drop appeals to you

Most people would choose the Ford C spring, Steeda Sport, or H&R Sport and remove the isolators for a increased drop

I have FRPP C springs and cut the dead coil off the rear and it's not quite low enough for me, not to mention the harsh ride. I've been reading that Eibach's pro-kit gives a slightly lower ride, with stock-like ride quality.

Sportlines have been known to sag in the rear, so I'd steer clear of those. If you want a radical drop, go with H&R SS springs. Like Tom said, go with a quality damper like Bilstein.

Thanks for your opinion.
Choices choices and more choices... :shrug:
Anyone out there who has the sportlines have any comments?
I was considering the HR SS Springs, but kind of wanted to drop a bit lower since again my car has a 4 inch gap in both front and back that makes my car look like a 4x4 :( Does anyone have a good recommendation for a 2 inch drop springs other than Eibock Sportlines?

I have FRPP C springs and cut the dead coil off the rear and it's not quite low enough for me, not to mention the harsh ride. I've been reading that Eibach's pro-kit gives a slightly lower ride, with stock-like ride quality.

Sportlines have been known to sag in the rear, so I'd steer clear of those. If you want a radical drop, go with H&R SS springs. Like Tom said, go with a quality damper like Bilstein.

I also recomend the H&R ss's & Bilstein HD's because they drop the car just enough to look good & have decent ride quality, & the Bilsteins last 4ever. If that drop isnt low enough for u, the only other thing I suggest is MM coilover kit with Bilsteins, but this would cost you at least $600 more than doing the H&R's or Eibach's. I dont think the Tokico D specs are needed for your application because they are so adjustable its almost confusing as to what level you should set them at. The MM cc plates were a great choice & a Bumpsteer kit & X2 balljoints will help get rid of the bumpsteer but arent totally necessary. Good luck

Thanks for your recommendation,

I may just go with the HR SS springs. It may just be the happy medium that would be most appropriate as you say. As for the Bilstein shock/strut combination is there a certain p/n or model that you would recommend? Don't they have several different models and applications? I think I will get the X2 balljoint as well.

Thanks

I also recomend the H&R ss's & Bilstein HD's because they drop the car just enough to look good & have decent ride quality, & the Bilsteins last 4ever. If that drop isnt low enough for u, the only other thing I suggest is MM coilover kit with Bilsteins, but this would cost you at least $600 more than doing the H&R's or Eibach's. I dont think the Tokico D specs are needed for your application because they are so adjustable its almost confusing as to what level you should set them at. The MM cc plates were a great choice & a Bumpsteer kit & X2 balljoints will help get rid of the bumpsteer but arent totally necessary. Good luck

I have the Steeda Sport Springs with urethane isolators they dropped the car approx 1 1/4 and Tokico D-spec shocks. Ride quality is excellent and with the d-specs the adjustability range is great as i can make the car ride as stiff as a go-cart or smooth as a caddy.

You will be happy with the H&R's & u cant go wrong with bilsteins. The Bilsteins u need are the HD's. I suggest leaving out the spring isolators which will give you about another 1/4 inch drop, but it will have metal to metal contact so u might want to put some electrical tape around the top & bottom of the springs so they dont make alot of noise. the x2's actually come with spacers that u can leave out that will drop the car about another 1/4 inch but doing so defeats the purpose of buying the x2's because u get them to correct steering geometry on a lowered car. I suggest looking on Ebay for the best bilstein price & tirerack.com for the best H&R price, & ACmustang.com for the best steeda & Maximum Motorsport prices.

Here is an Ebay link for the bilstein Hd's for your car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILS...010QQitemZ200122493749QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Okay, things to consider...

1a) "Ride quality" is VERY subjective. What someone considers "like a caddy", others will consider "way too stiff". If you want near stock ride quality with a decent drop, consider the Mach 1 kit (springs & shocks/ struts). This is a cheap alternative, too. It will not yield the slammed look, but it will likely ride much "better" (again - a relative term based on your desired end point).
1b) A buddy of mine has every MM piece made, along with a roll cage. It rides about as stiff as a shopping cart. He loves it like that, while all I can say is "Ouch". I think my car is a bit stiffer than I'd prefer (see sig below), but it handles great on the street. To my buddy, though, my car is wayyyy too soft. It is all relative...
1c) The lower you go = more ride stiffness. Don't forget that. Some people are all about the look, then realize that they come to find they hate riding in their car. It happens more than you'd think.
2) You do not have to lower a Mustang very far until your cats are scraping every speed bump in town. My car is lower than stock but not at all "slammed", and I scrape every decent-size speed around. Hosnestly, I wonder what the guys with the super-low cars do...
3) A lot of people go without the spacers. Not me. I recommend the exact opposite -- replace your OEM spacers with long-lasting urethane ones.
4) Offset steering rack bushings: There is a lot of contention on this topic. Some say no way. Others say you are crazy for not installing them. All I know is I have them, and I am very glad. The effect is not incredibly dramatic, but they make the steering noticably feel a little tighter. Get them, and call it a day.
5) Other suspension items. Sub-frame connectors should be the second mod on every Mustang (right after the K&N air filter). They are cheap, and greatly improve the handling. The next step to improve handling (after the lowering) is to replace the cheap-o stock stamped-steel rear-control arms. HINT: You need to remove the springs to change the lower control arms. So, if you think you may do this, do it when you lower the car.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with whatever you go with!!!!

Good

Thanks 01GT eibach for your comments..

Like you say, I get a dozen people telling me go with this that and the other
and another dozen telling me not to.

Some say go Eibock sportlines, others say not to cause they sag or don't ride as well as other springs such as HR Sportlines.

So far the only thing that people seem to aggree on is that I made a good choice on buying my MM CC Plates and most have agreed that Bilstein shocks would be the best choice. I'm still not sure about that since the other shocks like Tokico have adjustable dampning..

I am thinking HR springs, but don't want to remove the isolators as I don't think that would be a good choice. Then I am now affraid of getting the Eibock sportlines and tearing my under carriage all up.

I think my next move is to create a voting Poll :shrug:

Okay, things to consider...

1a) "Ride quality" is VERY subjective. What someone considers "like a caddy", others will consider "way too stiff". If you want near stock ride quality with a decent drop, consider the Mach 1 kit (springs & shocks/ struts). This is a cheap alternative, too. It will not yield the slammed look, but it will likely ride much "better" (again - a relative term based on your desired end point).
1b) A buddy of mine has every MM piece made, along with a roll cage. It rides about as stiff as a shopping cart. He loves it like that, while all I can say is "Ouch". I think my car is a bit stiffer than I'd prefer (see sig below), but it handles great on the street. To my buddy, though, my car is wayyyy too soft. It is all relative...
1c) The lower you go = more ride stiffness. Don't forget that. Some people are all about the look, then realize that they come to find they hate riding in their car. It happens more than you'd think.
2) You do not have to lower a Mustang very far until your cats are scraping every speed bump in town. My car is lower than stock but not at all "slammed", and I scrape every decent-size speed around. Hosnestly, I wonder what the guys with the super-low cars do...
3) A lot of people go without the spacers. Not me. I recommend the exact opposite -- replace your OEM spacers with long-lasting urethane ones.
4) Offset steering rack bushings: There is a lot of contention on this topic. Some say no way. Others say you are crazy for not installing them. All I know is I have them, and I am very glad. The effect is not incredibly dramatic, but they make the steering noticably feel a little tighter. Get them, and call it a day.
5) Other suspension items. Sub-frame connectors should be the second mod on every Mustang (right after the K&N air filter). They are cheap, and greatly improve the handling. The next step to improve handling (after the lowering) is to replace the cheap-o stock stamped-steel rear-control arms. HINT: You need to remove the springs to change the lower control arms. So, if you think you may do this, do it when you lower the car.

Just my $0.02. Good luck with whatever you go with!!!!

Good

H&R ss's arent all that stiff, & they only lower 0.3 inch past the pro kit in front & 0.2 in the rear. If u notice almost every car on here is either running pro kit or H&R ss's.

Definately dont go with the Bullit kit because u will be extremely dissappointed because it looks pretty stock still.

Ideally I want to achieve like a 1/2 inch to 1 inch gap between the top of my tire and top of my fenders. This is why I was leaning toward a kit that would give me the most drop. That is why I was looking at the Eibach Sportlines since they provide a 2 inch drop in front and rear. With those I was going to add the MM caster camber plates, the X2 ball joints and a set of Bilstein shocks. After that I want to get new wheels either 17's or 18's with wider tires ...minimum 265... maybe like 265 in front and 285 in rear.... But then I would sacrifice being able to rotate so might compromise on a happy medium so I could use the same size in front and back.. I've seen mustangs with the wider tires and low stance and they look sweet....

I was hoping others would have recommended the Eibachs to support my original choice, but now I am questing whether to go with HR.... Then I am thinking if I may be sorry that it wasn't low enough. :(.... decisions decisions :bang:

H&R ss's arent all that stiff, & they only lower 0.3 inch past the pro kit in front & 0.2 in the rear. If u notice almost every car on here is either running pro kit or H&R ss's.

Definately dont go with the Bullit kit because u will be extremely disapointed because it looks pretty stock still.

I decided to go with the following...

1. HR Super Sports
2. Bilsteins
3. MM cc plates

I will then call crack open a beer and call it a day.
Anyone have a specific model of Bilsteins to recommend?

Will these fit the profile?
Bilsteins
I've done my shopping around for Bilsteins, and I've found StangSuspension.com to be the cheapest:

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=842
$528.66 before shipping, before discount
$502.23 before shipping, after 5% discount

At AmericanMuscle.com, you'll pay:
$599.99 including shipping, before discount
$563.99 including shipping, after 6% discount

There's no way in hell that struts will cost $61.76 to ship. If you catch StangSuspension.com on a good day, they offer free shipping ;)

Just trying to save you money man.

My suspension setup is/will be:
H&R SuperSports
MM C/C Plates
Bilsteins (lifetime warranty, BABY!!)
MM LCAs

I've done my shopping around for Bilsteins, and I've found StangSuspension.com to be the cheapest:

http://www.stangsuspension.com/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=842
$528.66 before shipping, before discount
$502.23 before shipping, after 5% discount

At AmericanMuscle.com, you'll pay:
$599.99 including shipping, before discount
$563.99 including shipping, after 6% discount

There's no way in hell that struts will cost $61.76 to ship. If you catch StangSuspension.com on a good day, they offer free shipping ;)

Just trying to save you money man.

My suspension setup is/will be:
H&R SuperSports
MM C/C Plates
Bilsteins (lifetime warranty, BABY!!)
MM LCAs

Outstanding!!!! Thanks Topless for the referral. I think I will be ordering those Bilsteins this week. Do you have a cheap referral for the HR super sports as well?
:) I also noticed you getting the MM Lower Control Arms.. Is this another advisable option to go with during this lowering project? Just when I think I have it all together, you have to throw that in. :nono:

Great suspension setup choice man you will Love that setup. Post pics when you get them and they are installed. I wish i would have gotten SS's instead of the prokit, but a guy i work with ordered them for his GT and if he doesnt like them he said he would trade with me :nice: