Need your opinion on this : Turbo(s) on 03-04 Cobras

What do you think about swapping out the blower for a Turbo(s) on the 03-04 Cobras

• Total voters

Stangfreak95

add a 4
Founding Member
Nov 4, 2002
In your sister. If none, your mom
I guess this is something that has kinda "bothered" me for a little while but I never really mentioned it to anyone, except now in a SVT Talk thread. Personnaly, the 03-04 Cobras are badass and by FAR one of my favorite all-time cars. Forget the supercars, I dont care much about them. The Ford GT kicks ass, Mclaren and Enzo but that doesnt count. But here is what I think...

I guess I respect people that do it, since I'm a car enthousiast and any kind of real work I can see and admire, but I'd NEVER take the blower off this car to put it turbocharged. IMO it just F***ed up the car. To me this car has been born supercharged and NEEDS to stay supercharged. Add a little juice if needed to compensate if the 650-700rwhp are not enough for you but I'd NEVER turbocharge it, even to gain an extra 150-250rwhp. WTF will you do with 900rwhp on the streets anyway ? Turbo any other stangs out there but not the 03-04 snakes.

It might just be me really. I have no clue what you guys think about this. What I know is that my next stang is gonna be an 03-04 Cobra and I will run at least 10's if not 9's with it on the blower only. And the power produced will be enough. This car is a legend. Dont f*** with it. Keep it SUPERCHARGED. :hail2: :hail2: :drool::drool:

• Sponsors (?)

If i had money to waste id stick a turbo kit on my cobra. But the kits are like 7k!! Ridiculous money. When you could by a whipple new for 3k even.

Personally i think the eaton- pullied/ported makes more then enough power. I dont see myself ever changing the eaton. Maybe ill add a lower pulley someday and get a stieg IV port, and shoot for 540ish rwhp, but thats really enough HP IMO. I like the street manners the car has now.

Plus, its a myth that turbo mustangs actually run right.

I agree. If someone wants to do a turbo project, buy a GT and supporting mods and turbo away. I used to be a turbo guy and dont know that I want to fart around with them again (though I get the bug occasionally).

Back on topic. To me, removing the blower for a turbo (on an 03/04 snake) would be kinda like ditching an oval 427 for a bowtie 502.

power is power. i dont care how it is made. 03 is the largest production run of cobras since 93, so its not like you are messing with some rare limited run stuff.

ford should be slapped for putting a damn heaton blower on their cars. get a small lysholm at least, geez.

If I were going to be serious about power, I would have done a turbo on my Cobra. To me, it's not a Cobra anyway, it's a Mustang. There is nothing remotely special about it, it just happens to make good power straight from the factory. And it weighs more than any Mustang in recent memory... another good reason to ditch the Eaton :D.

Dave

if i were to turbo a mustang, i would not do it to an 03/04 cobra. it's senseless to spend the money on a factory supercharged car (which is more) only to rip it out and spend more money on the trubo. it makes a LOT more sense, logically and economically, to get a GT and s/c it--or if you want a 4v, get another cobra w/out the s/c and turbocharge that w/out spending extra money for nothing.

Ram000 said:
if i were to turbo a mustang, i would not do it to an 03/04 cobra. it's senseless to spend the money on a factory supercharged car (which is more) only to rip it out and spend more money on the trubo. it makes a LOT more sense, logically and economically, to get a GT and s/c it--or if you want a 4v, get another cobra w/out the s/c and turbocharge that w/out spending extra money for nothing.

people turbo the 03/04's cuz it is cheaper than turbo'ing a 99/01.

add up the cost diff of the upgraded block, better heads, fuel system, tranny, rear end, and the price diff between the 2 cars is only about $5k on average. plus you can always sell the factory supercharged setup to someone with a 99/01/Mach 1 and recoupe some financial loss.

IMO it is too cheap and makes way more sense to turbo an 03/04 vs any other mustang.

i suppose my opinion is waaay biased--my future bro-in-law managed to put together a turbo system for under $1000 for me, including the new injectors, pump, and the turbo itself. granted, i won't be using brand new parts, but it's awesome for uner 1G.

Ram000 said:
i suppose my opinion is waaay biased--my future bro-in-law managed to put together a turbo system for under $1000 for me, including the new injectors, pump, and the turbo itself. granted, i won't be using brand new parts, but it's awesome for uner 1G.
i totally agree with that statement, after i saw an 03 with a 2.2KB sell on our used lot for $23(11k miles--anniversary model) it just got me wondering.

if i had bought that car and sold the KB, LT headers, and what other S/C crap was on it. i could have bought a turbo setup and made a wee bit more power.

the 03/04 cobra redifined bang for the buck anyway you slice it, but with a turbo you get a little more bang for that buck.

I with bimmertech. I am not saying I would turbo an 03-04 cobra but you guys are saying that it would be cheaper to do a GT. Well if you think about it by time you build the block to handle serious power than bring the rest of the car up to Cobra spec. it won't be cheaper. If you don't care about the rest of the Cobra stuff than fine but I wouldn't mind having the IRS, brakes, 4v motor, T56, cobra body styling, etc from the cobra.

As far as keeping the supercharger for authenticity reasons, it doesn't matter to me. I will plan on modifing the car whether it is SC or Turboed to the point that the car would be my personalized creation, not a stock original collector piece.

Again, I am undecided as to what I would do but I don't think that there is a solid reason not to turbo a Cobra, at least not for me.

I see no problem with turbo'n the '03-'04 cobras, they have the shortblock that's perfect for it, and the turbo is a more efficient power adder. I'll probably never own one so I won't be tempted either way, but if I did own one and I could afford to turbo it I would.