New 1/4 Track times

• Sponsors (?)

Striped5.0 said:
I cant remember for sure but Id say its pretty close to redline, once I get into 4th I just concentrate on making sure the car is stright and Im not really looking at the tach anymore.

You should be at 5100 rpms when u trapped 110. Thats with a tire height of 25.7 which is approx what a nitto dr is.

Technically, you wanna pass the traps at a few hundred rpms higher then where your peak power is. For your typical every once ina while racer, going this far with the gearing is outrageous.

Just keep practicin, maybe ill make it up next weekend too, depending on how this weekend ends up going.

yellow1995Cobra said:
You should be at 5100 rpms when u trapped 110. Thats with a tire height of 25.7 which is approx what a nitto dr is.

Technically, you wanna pass the traps at a few hundred rpms higher then where your peak power is..

I'll keep an eye on that the next time I go , Im kinda courious myself. I just know that w/ not to much track left I have to go into 4th or the tack will be buried deep in the redline. I know Im going past the trap at between 5,000-6,000 just not sure where exactly.

Back to the RPM launch thing whats a good RPM to go at, is 2,500 decent to start out with or should I be going higher? I just know that my current technique is not getting my times better. 5-7 sec burn outs, launching at 2,000-2,500 RPMS, slipping the cluch off the line. Getting 2.2 to 2.1 60's and running consistant 13.6's. The 13.4 was nice but Im not sure what was diffrent on that run, I still cut a 2.1 so was not the 60' maybe it was in the way I shifted or my RPM at launch or something. I know I can and need to improve on anything but its just hard being new at the track and knowing what to improve on first to get that 12 that I want so bad before the track closes this yr.

94TURBO5 O...

Striped5.0 said:
I'll keep an eye on that the next time I go , Im kinda courious myself. I just know that w/ not to much track left I have to go into 4th or the tack will be buried deep in the redline. I know Im going past the trap at between 5,000-6,000 just not sure where exactly.

Back to the RPM launch thing whats a good RPM to go at, is 2,500 decent to start out with or should I be going higher? I just know that my current technique is not getting my times better. 5-7 sec burn outs, launching at 2,000-2,500 RPMS, slipping the cluch off the line. Getting 2.2 to 2.1 60's and running consistant 13.6's. The 13.4 was nice but Im not sure what was diffrent on that run, I still cut a 2.1 so was not the 60' maybe it was in the way I shifted or my RPM at launch or something. I know I can and need to improve on anything but its just hard being new at the track and knowing what to improve on first to get that 12 that I want so bad before the track closes this yr.

94TURBO5 O...

If the car can hook, launch much higher. I like to drop the hammer in my 03 around 5,000 rpms. I just dump the clutch and hang on, not much to it... It was the same in my old 95 with the gt40 crate motor. I would just dump the clutch around 5k rpms. That car would dead hook too.. But i pull better 60's with my 03, which i think has to do with the hp/tq difference.

But, when i would race the 03 on the stock f1 tires, this is how i got my best 60ft- I would let the car just bog right off the line then floor it. My best 60ft doing this was a 1.93x which lead to a [email protected]. I found that if the tires spun a little bit, the 60 would suffer. So bogging the car on purpose was best bet. Keep in mind though that my car has like 450 rwtq at 2k rpms. So maybe that has to do with it being able to pull outa the bog so quickly. Next time your up on a street night try bogging it on purpose and see what happens. Its worth a shot.

Also, do you ice your car down between runs? With a SC car its very important in the heat. I never iced my car last fall when it was 50 and below, but in the summer heat its a must.

Play with your shift points as well. That can really make a difference. You will quickly discover which rpms are best to shift at

yellow1995Cobra said:
Also, do you ice your car down between runs? With a SC car its very important in the heat. I never iced my car last fall when it was 50 and below, but in the summer heat its a must.

Play with your shift points as well. That can really make a difference. You will quickly discover which rpms are best to shift at

Thanks for the other info..

as far as icing the intake or S/C no I did not. If memory serves me righ though my best run was right after the sun went down at a little after 8 and there was big delay in racing for some reason like 30-40 mins and the car cooled down alot but Im not sure how much of a diff that made since by the time I got up to the lights it was warmed back up to 195 again. I'll try the bog technique and playing around w/ my shift points when I go for the test and tune on the 23ed. Should be able to get a better idea of what works and what does not since they prep the track a better then on street nights so hopefully I can cancel out traction as being a big factor.