New Best ET = 1 broken fox.

BigHairyMonkey

Founding Member
Jun 18, 2003
Houston (Bellaire) TX
So i went out to HRP in no intent to make any passes (due to the horrid condition of my street tires). Well, as soon as i got there the track bug bit and i immeadiatly started roamin around tryin to find a buddy who'd let me use their tires for a pass or two. My buddy robert who has a white HCI notch said he'd let me use his slicks for 2 passes. Apperantly that was 1 too many.

I had NEVER had the car on slicks or anything other than some street tires and let me tell you the feeling of gettin slammed into your seat on that first pass was ALMOST worth breaking everything in the end. I shoulda known i had too much tire when i couldnt even do a burnout without draggin the front end (on the brakes! even after the water box). The car is completely STREET weight. the spare, jack, etc. everything is still in the car, as is every piece of interior.

1st pass - staged at like 4000-4400, dont really remember i had so much adrenaline :D dumped it and off she went

-1.81 60'
-8.52 @ 80.83mph 1/8th
-13.40 @ 101.1 mph 1/4

A big improvement over my 13.94 @ 99 on street tires.

Heres the vid.. sorry its piss poor quality because i forgot my camera and my gf was filming off her phone. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHbPCwdLk8

1340101passonslicksse5.jpg

2nd pass - Here i was really concentrated on my driving as the first pass i was just gettin used to the tires; i knew it had more left in it by being even more aggressive on the shifts. I staged right @ 4500rpm preloaded on the clutch... yellow... yellow. yellow... and KABOOOM After slapping the limiter about 10 times and wiping the tears off my steering wheel i get out of my car and push it back to the parking lot. I snapped one of my axles so bad that as we were pushing the car the axle and the wheel were like a foot out of the wheel well ready to fall out :nonono: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFGwjMq2eyk (LOL @ my gf's ooooohhhh noooo)

Still, all said and done, the first pass still proves that there are some good times to be had with just bolt-ons with a stock HCI. :nice:

Attachments

• 1340101passonslicksse5.jpg
    1340101passonslicksse5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 69
  • Sponsors (?)

I've never put my car on slicks but if I ever do I will make sure to ease into it or have better axles first, my brother had a stock 86 lx, I told him to dump the clutch one day and it snapped the axle right off, (on the wheel side) it went rolling off in the street:rlaugh: , as far as mustangs go I don't trust there axles for anything other then a daily driver.

Sorry to hear what happened. I did the same thing to my car a few years back. Took about 45 min to fix it. Silly me i just installed another factory axle. I hope it lasts. If you have the cash it would be a good idea to upgrade.

Sorry to hear what happened. I did the same thing to my car a few years back. Took about 45 min to fix it. Silly me i just installed another factory axle. I hope it lasts. If you have the cash it would be a good idea to upgrade.

i havent had the time to go look at the carnage (had the car trailered to a friends house with a big garage) but my guess is it snapped off by the carrier. If thats so.. how would i get that piece thats still attached to the diff out? would i have to take the whole diff apart? im a real noob when it comes to gears/rear ends, i know how it works but ive never messed with one.

You should have a pretty easy time figuring out what you have to do once you get the rear diff cover off. The axles are held in with 'c-clips'; normally you have to push in on the end of the axle (with the diff's center pin removed) to expose the c-clip to pull it off to release the axle, but your broken one should just kind of be laying in there. The axles normally break at the narrower area where the c-clips slide over the axle. There is probably just a little piece of axle end that will be left inside the diff once you pull the long section of broken axle out.

I'm probably going to get some moser axles before heading back to the track again. Don't want to risk injuring my fresh paint job by chucking an axle and hitting a wall or something stupid.

i havent had the time to go look at the carnage (had the car trailered to a friends house with a big garage) but my guess is it snapped off by the carrier. If thats so.. how would i get that piece thats still attached to the diff out? would i have to take the whole diff apart? im a real noob when it comes to gears/rear ends, i know how it works but ive never messed with one.

I took the carrier out to get the piece of shaft out. It wasn't that hard at all. Maybe think about rebuilding the traction loc while you are in there. Its a good time to do it and replace/change the oil.