New Here 78 Mustang II Just installed C4 no engaugemnet

I rebuilt my 78 Mustang C4 Bad Shoes video was great. I installed it and only had forward gear, rear tires spun freely. I pulled down the pan and found the gear shift lever was installed wrong. The piston was pinned to the back of the case. I dropped the pans and pulled the valve body. The valve was a little tight but freed up and moved smoothly. Reinstalled it correctly and have no engagement of any kind. No reverse, or drive?
Pulled it down again just be be sure but same no engagement. Any Ideas?

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the site!

I'm not too versed in automatic transmission operation and it's been 25 years or more since I've had one opened up, but it sounds like maybe a check ball wasn't installed properly? :shrug: Maybe one of our pros will chime in or, since there's only a few of us in this section, maybe someone in the classic section can offer some advice if you were to post your question there.

@MustangIIMatt @manicmechanic007 and anyone else that I can't seem to think of atm....

I pulled down the pan and found the gear shift lever was installed wrong.

I had this problem and took 3 tries to adjust lever. The bicycle sprocket thing left side.

uh-d1inytcq32lwug-lbjq-jpg.644533.jpeg

I rebuilt my 78 Mustang C4 Bad Shoes video was great

Other questions

Did you rebuild your trans or was it just a video?
Same torque converter?
Did trans come out of of car?

It sounds like the pump isn’t building pressure.
Tell us what all happened to get to this point.

I had this problem and took 3 tries to adjust lever. The bicycle sprocket thing left side.

uh-d1inytcq32lwug-lbjq-jpg.644533.jpeg

Other questions

Did you rebuild your trans or was it just a video?
Same torque converter?
Did trans come out of of car?

It sounds like the pump isn’t building pressure.
Tell us what all happened to get to this point.
I Did a pressure test and had pressure. When I rebuilt it the trans was out and on the bench. I did reuse the torque converter. I have the Valve body on the bench agian and going through it again.

Reactions: 1 users