New rebuilt C4 hits neutral before hiting 3rd gear? Help please!!

5-oh stang

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
I have only driven the car about 4-5 miles but anyway, it is a 68 C4 and we put a Hughes Performance Transmission Kit in it and eveything is new, i also has a B&M Shift Kit. It will shift 1-2 fine, couldn't be better but when it shifts from 2-3 it's like it hits nuetral for a second or two then drops in 3rd gear? It does it either on the gas or off the gas. Anyone have any clues as to what it could be the cause of this?
Thanks alot! :(

• Sponsors (?)

Either a sticking servo or a band out of adjustment, IMO. There is an adjustment procedure in the service manual.

Mine does it too, but it is old and I think the band is just worn out.

I had this same problem with my old C4. Even after it was rebuilt with good parts and a shift kit. Be careful, after we put it in my buddies 66 the tranny ended up grenading. The only thing that was usable afterwards was the case and valve body.

Max Power said:
Either a sticking servo or a band out of adjustment, IMO. There is an adjustment procedure in the service manual.

Mine does it too, but it is old and I think the band is just worn out.

Yeah, aren't you supposed to adjust the band after installing the shift kit? I installed a B&M Shift Kit in a C6 before and it did say to readjust the band after the install. Don't know about the C4, though.