new to the boards...

LUV2XLR8

Feb 3, 2004
hello,

i owned a 5.0 mustang several years ago, and would like to get another sometime in the future once i graduate college this spring. what i love most about them is that i can do all the work on the car myself, in my garage and how cheap the aftermarket parts are for them. i used to own a z-28 also, and those things are freakin hard to work on yourself! im a do it yourselfer to the bitter end, so i like being able to easily work on 5.0's...my previous 5.0 was pretty much stock, minus u/d pulleys, o/r h pipe, cat back and cold air induction. ive come along way in my mechanical skills since then, and am excited to do some hardcore engine mods to the next mustang i get. i currently own a 1997 grand prix gtp. i have put a cam, new valve springs/pushrods/lifters, headers, smaller supercharger pulley, fenderwell induction, custom programmed computer, exhaust, and some supporting mods such as colder plugs, etc (all of which i did myself)...its a great running car and gets me low 13 1/4 times all while getting 25/33 city/highway miles per gallon respectively. But, i got myself into some trouble and will be forced to sell it so that i can pay my lawyer to get me out of it. if you'd like to check it out, its on cardomain @ http://members.cardomain.com/ndolson97gtp

ANYWAYS...back to topic on the 5.0's im trying to decide if i should build up a motor first, and THEN find a car with a straight body to put it in, or buy the car and mod that motor? my brother can do the body work i need like a paint job or something, and i can lend a hand doing whatever so im not TOO concerned having a perfect looking, low mile 5.0...

my goal is for very low 12's/high 11's naturally aspirated. i would like to add a supercharger of some sort in the future, so whatever i do to the engine would have to pave the way for that at some point. once ive owned a supercharged car, im addicted! heres what i was contemplating for my engine:

-331 stroker kit
-fairly radical cam (need opinions here, not sure what the market is one them...been out of the circle for awhile)
-AFR 165 heads (or maybe 185's? :jaw: )
-holley systemaxx u/l intake manifold (opinions here?)
-long tube headers
-pushrods/lifters/valve springs to support the power and lift of the cam

im sure there are a host of other supporting things i will need for the engine, but i think i covered most of the things that will dictate how much power will be made. i would rebuild the engine myself of course, being as im a DIY'er. any input on the setup? i want a nice lopey idle, and lots of power throughout the entire rpm range of course, and i think the 331 would be the best bet in terms of longetivity and rpm capability. what about intake manifolds, is there anything better on the market than the holley? i had always heard it was good for high hp applications because of the long runners it had, and wasnt as good for closer to stock 5.0's because you would lose alot of low end power. should i just find an old 351W and rebuild one of those instead? i think it would be cool to have a built up 351, and im sure they have the opportunity to make lots of power too! i would definately enjoy the torque from a bigger cube engine. well.....im just trying to get a ballpark idea of what im going to do, that way i can start adding up numbers and rounding up parts. any input/advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks
neal

• Sponsors (?)

first off welcome to stang net! if you are building a 331 i wouldnt go the route of AFR 165's unless you want alot of tourque down low. as for a 351 the added weight and stress isnt really worth it IMO if you have to be emissions legal. i am about a week or so off from buying my vortech blower. But my motor needs to be re-built first and i cant decided if i want a 306 or 331 anyway back on topic i think you would be happy with a 331 and if you blow it your looking at monster power. as for the intake that all depends on if you want N/A or blown but the systemax is a nice intake.

just IMO, I would say find the car first and start modding, because at least you can drive it through the stages of the build up and if something goes wrong you dont have to tear through all your work to see what it is. Also, this way you wont spend all your money on your motor and not have any left to buy a car!!! good luck either way you choose, its good to know you are leaving your GM ways behind and rejoining the Ford ranks!

ah.....ive never been a ford basher. i love cars, not the companies that make them. i think the fox 5.0 is one of my favorite cars of all time, i fell in love with my mustang. cheap mods, you can do all the work yourself, what more can you ask for? ive owned a 91 rs camaro, then a 91 z28 with the L98 tpi 350, then the 5.0 and the gtp after that. the GTP is the fastest car ive owned so far, and also the one that ive done the most mods to. i was pretty proud of myself doing doing the cam swap on a FWD V6. put in new valve springs, pushrods, lifters, and rebuilt my blower at the same time. good fun! but i want to go faster! low 13's is fun and all, but it starts taking more and more money to go any faster than that with a GTP. i want some low 12's high 11's street machine action.

i think i will be very happy with the 331. what heads would you recommend if not the afr 165s? i dont see any reason gobs of low end torque would be a bad thing, unless it sacrifices high rpm horsepower or something. i would like the stongest, broadest tq and hp curve of course. i pretty much want to go straight dragster with it, im not so much concerned with scca/roadracing type stuff. straight line acceleration is what makes my heart race. i was thinking i really wouldnt have to go THAT extreme with the engine if i was going to supercharge it too. a nice set of aluminum heads, a lopey cam, and nice intake would be good and then i could add the blower. a intercooled procharger maybe, a vortech s-trim or t-trim? i kind of like the roots type blowers because of their broad power curve like the one on my gtp (eaton m90) or m112. ahhh i dunno

opinions on setups? im looking for 5-600 crank hp after the blower

neal

Here is the thing you have to consider which will make or break your combo...KNOW FOR SURE if you are staing NA or getting a blower: If you are getting a blower...you must make an engine with much less compression something along the lines of 8:5 while if you want naturally aspirited you want something like 10:1 or 10:5 at the most...a 331 NA would be NIIICE and you still would get good gas milage...if you want to slap a blower...be prepared to ONLY make between 5-7 miles per gallon not to mention all the hidden things you have to do such as a custom gast tank to handle more gas, new fuel system, tranny upgrades, suspension setup etc etc...Finally THE CAM...the cam for a blower is not the same cam for a NA car...I would recommend a 331 with an NA setup and a 306 with a blower setup...unless you don't car about the MPG you're gonna make and just want a streat monster...But anways...you can't go wrong with AFR's 185 on both of them...Systemax II intake is great too but check out the new Edelbrock RPM II intake...and a nice custom cam...This might have the info that you are looking for www.e-stang.com :nice:

Id say got for a 351 but a 331 is just as good. Normaly Id say build your engine while your looking for a car that way you cant take your time and find somthing good/cheap whatever. Also most of the 5.0's your gonna find are gonna be beat or reallly expincive. Sence you need to get rid of the grand am(thank god :p ) Id say find a decent stang with a motor that runs but isnt great. that way you can get it for cheap. Then buld up another motor and throw that in. I dont trust older motors with a lot of power, the only tme id build up one with out rebuilding it is if i was planning to blow it.

yes, i figured that it would be best to swap out cams when i go from N/A to blown. i also know that there will be a ton of supporting stuff to go along with whatever blower i get (i.e. hv fuel pump, injectors, and of course a tranny at some point too :nice: ) but it will be a gradual build up not buying all the parts and doing it at once kind of thing. i want to realistically be making 350+ hp N/A'ed, and at least 500 blown. i was planning on trying to keep it low compression too, i know that high compression + supercharger = detonation. the supercharged 3.8L motor in my GTP is 8.5:1, but in the N/A version of the same engine, it is significantly more....not sure how much though. so id probably try to keep it in the 8.5-9 CR. mmm i just love superchargers! the scream at WOT is like none other, and it would be 10 times more bad ass if it were a RWD V8 monster. im not TOO worried about gas mileage with this car, as it will only be a weekend/show/cruising car. as long as you stay out of the boost, it wont be TOO bad. i get great gas mileage in the GTP when i keep it out of the boost, but as soon as i get into the throttle i just watch the MPG's drop (there is a driver information center that has that and a bunch of other stats...kinda cool). id be happy to get in the 10-15 mpg range.

so.....i think im set on the holley intake but the heads are still kind of up in the air. arent the AFR 185's about 2 grand? i need to go pick me up another MM&FF mag, its been awhile! and ill probably swap out cams when i go from n/a to f/i. by the way....what all is involved when doing a cam on a 5.0? for my GTP, i had to take off the intake manifold and blower, remove the valvetrain, lower the subframe and i took the cam out through the passenger side wheel well. will i have to remove the engine to do a cam in a 5.0? geez....now im all excited to get another 5.0!

im kind of leaning towards building the motor BEFORE i buy the car though, and for a couple of reasons. for one, it may leave me more options when searching for a 5.0 to buy. i mean, if i can find a 120k+ mile 5.0 with a straight body for cheap, then IMO it would be much easier to swap out engine/tranny (maybe at same time depending on $$) than either try to find a lower mileage 5.0 and pay more for the car, or buy the 120K car and have to pull the engine anyways. i dont really know, i guess it just depends what comes along.

neal