Newb cant figure out how to check timing.. no really!

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Okay.. Im a newb and i admit it, but how are you guys setting your timing?! My balancer doesnt have any timing marks on it besides one notch. How do you know how many degrees the timing is set at? Where are you supposed to look?

I know that you remove the spout, and use a timing light.. but what the heck am i looking for?

Please help!

• Sponsors (?)

it has marks, on mine it was rusted up, sand it down a little and the marks will appear and take some white paint and put in the marks while your down there.

you want 10* base timing, advance it a little for more power (14*ish) but beware you need to run premium fuel if you do this due to pinging.

it has marks, on mine it was rusted up, sand it down a little and the marks will appear and take some white paint and put in the marks while your down there.

you want 10* base timing, advance it a little for more power (14*ish) but beware you need to run premium fuel if you do this due to pinging.

Oh thanks. I'll try sanding it down a little. If im standing in front of the car facing the engine which way is it to advance the timing? Left or right?

eh i cant remember just bump it one way or the other with the timing light on it, you'll see quickly, if you do decide to advance it be sure to listen closely for pinging. for the first few tanks of fuel.