Roush Newbie

lgndracer

Feb 21, 2004
Sumner, WA
Just bought a new '03 non-supercharged Saleen last weekend. And doing a little net surfing I came accross this site. So far I really like it, but it could use a little more umph.
I've never been a Ford guy, so I'm not up on all the popular Mustang mods.

What are the most popular easy upgrades to get some more HP?

I like the idea of adding a supercharger in the near future.
From a resale value stand point, I would assume the Saleen kit would be the way to go. Opinions?

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

lgndracer said:
Just bought a new '03 non-supercharged Saleen last weekend. And doing a little net surfing I came accross this site. So far I really like it, but it could use a little more umph.
I've never been a Ford guy, so I'm not up on all the popular Mustang mods.

What are the most popular easy upgrades to get some more HP?

I like the idea of adding a supercharger in the near future.
From a resale value stand point, I would assume the Saleen kit would be the way to go. Opinions?

Mike

You will keep your resale value higher if you keep it bone stock.
Buy some cheap floormats and put the saleen ones in a closet.
Wear driving gloves or put a thin steering wheel cover on it
to keep it from wearing. Do what ever you can not to put any extra wear on the interior This is all stuff if you really want to keep the resale value high.
OR- Drive the piss out of it and enjoy it. :D
Put some gears in it if you dont already have 3.55's.
Get a intake plenum and throttle body. I would'nt worry about the exhaust,
it flows preetty good. As far as superchargers go, I would get a KB or
saleen or something that does'nt have to tap the oil pan.
Since your Saleen is N/A, when you sell it I would take every thing off
and put it back to stock. Because most people that buy Saleens want
one that is original.
Welcome, You'll love it more everyday.
Mine is N/A also and I have no regrets about my purchase.

It's called Dark Shawdow Grey with charcoal interior. It's number 03-0039. It has the 3:55s and chrome wheels. I also had the windows tinted.

Any recommendations on the intake plenum and throttle body? Also what kind of increase are we talking?

Nice, mine is 03-0031. :nice:
You can get up to 20 rwhp fom intake plenum and throttle body.
I'm gonna go with trickflow plenum and 70mm tb. (c&l or accufab is good to)
You ought to take it to the 40th in Nashville. Although we would be in the
judging class. So dont wash it if you come. :D
How many miles you got on it?

OR- Drive the piss out of it and enjoy it.

Mod...drive...enjoy...mod somemore...go broke...mod... drive...enjoy...break something...mod again...drive

It is such a fun viscious cycle :D

Img_5144.jpg

Attachments

• Img_5144.jpg
    Img_5144.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 102
03-s281 has some excellent points. WHATEVER you do, just keep every stock part you replace. That way, if you do decide to sell you can bring it all the way back stock. If you don't have the budget now for the blower, save up for it and enjoy your car now and just take your time breakin her in.
You already have 3:55's. Nice.
If you do have the budget for it a blower its the best way to go. EVERYTHING you do for extra horsepower will never completely add up to the bang for your buck a nice KB blower will get you. That's unless you start taking your motor down to the bottom end.
Nice, you guys own 03#31 and #39. Nice low number cars.
If I did'nt have a baby on the way I would either purchase a new non S/C car and bolt on the blower, or if I won the lotto, order an 04 Cobra/Saleen.
I just love that 4V motor, but I have to own a real Saleen. When I was in college I owned a 90 LX hatch. The guy I bought it from had installed a Saleen rear wing. I will never own a car that I have to be asked "is it real" a million times a week.
Congrats on your purchase lgndracer! Welcome to the board.

Make sure you wash your cars really good 03-s281 & lgndracer because I might be judging your cars at the 40th, you never know... :) So it better be extra clean. joking

I love the Dark Shadow Grey, my '02 is Mineral Grey and every where I go everyone talks about how much they like to color. After that they say something about the whole car. But it is always the color first.

Are you guys going to the 40th?

Thanks for the input guys. It just turned 480 miles this weekend.

Don't have any plans to go to Nashville, so you don't have to worry about me 03-s281.

Looking at the KB site, they have two models. One intercooled and one not. Obviously the intercooled seems to be the better unit. Is this the one most are running? Also where can you get the best deal on the package, and how long of a break in period should one wait on these motors before adding a supercharger?

I have always broke motors in by varying the RPMs under load and bringing up to full operating temp. Then letting cool all the way down then repeating about four times. This is how we break in our motors on our Legends cars. After that process we run them full tilt to 10,000 rpm at the track.

This is basically what I did to the Saleen when I got it. Did't really get on it till a couple hundred miles.

Mike

Mike,
As far as 'breaking in" your non s/c car you don't really have to be too religious about it. Remember, it's for the most part a standard 4.6 motor with the powerflash and some pullies. Saleen recommends keeping it under 4600 rpm for the first 1000 miles. Then go get your first oil change. I may be opening a can of worms here but I like going directly into a Mobil one synthetic 5-30 weight and synthetic filter from that first oil change on. There are plenty of good lubes out there. I like Mobil One. That's just my opinion.
As far as when to bolt your blower up, do it whenever you want to. Remember, the S/C cars are not "broken in". YOU drive them home too with zero mile on them