Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

Hey @a91what or @CarMichael Angelo , I am welding the bung for my wideband on my H pipe. The bung seems a little “deep.” Should I cut some off of it, or are wideband sensors supposed to be a bit out of the actual exhaust stream? The sensor is essentially flush with the end of the bung when screwed into it.

4C46E10C-32F1-4F80-A9C9-3CF15D6E8A74.jpeg

054E73D5-AF1B-4E79-958D-B67DF02FF081.jpeg

I still had the h pipe off my car when I installed the o2s in my lt headers, the end of the sensor sticks out into the stream, uncovered.
the bungs were already installed. :shrug:

Right, and my stock O2s are that same way. This is for an aftermarket wideband sensor through. Not sure how they differ. Still haven’t welded it yet, got distracted by a two year girl wanting to come out and play with Dad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not risking anything here. I actually got a good weld all the way around, but took it a step further and put high heat exhaust epoxy over the weld. I used this stuff to fill the air tube on my old H pipe, and couldn’t get it off with a hammer. Good stuff.

061288B0-76F9-430F-9955-FD129A0D03F9.jpeg

Not risking anything here. I actually got a good weld all the way around, but took it a step further and put high heat exhaust epoxy over the weld. I used this stuff to fill the air tube on my old H pipe, and couldn’t get it off with a hammer. Good stuff.

061288B0-76F9-430F-9955-FD129A0D03F9.jpeg
Not good stuff....depending on how close that is to the heat...it will fail.

If you needed it,..there was something wrong underneath....if the weld was suspect..time for one of two things.... *hint......High heat Goop ain't one of them.
1. Get yourself a freakin bottle of argon/mix gas, a regulator, solid core wire,..and convert from flux core wire. ( the end result will be so pretty,..you'll thank me)
2. Spend more time behind the trigger.....

If you needed it,..there was something wrong underneath....if the weld was suspect..time for one of two things.... *hint......High heat Goop ain't one of them.
1. Get yourself a freakin bottle of argon/mix gas, a regulator, solid core wire,..and convert from flux core wire. ( the end result will be so pretty,..you'll thank me)
2. Spend more time behind the trigger.....

I should have taken a picture of the weld(s). Obviously not super pretty, but I was happy when done as it was much better than some of my previous ones. The epoxy was “just in case.” I am confident all is well, buddy ol pal.

And @hoopty5.0 , I too feel that my 3” round tips aren’t exactly what the doctor ordered. However I am trying to balance some of the roundness of the front Cobra bumper around the rest of the car. I plan on adding a Cobra rear spoiler to help with this plan as well, and so all that means rectangular tips are out. Besides, 90’s Camaros had em, and homie don’t play dat.

I think separating the current tips a touch and slipping on 3.5” tips that are roughly 5” long will at least give it a touch more flair.

Couldn’t for the life of me find 3” inlet, 3.5” outlet, 5 or 5.5” length exhaust tips. So I pulled the trigger on a pair of 4” tips. Gonna fit em and see what’s what. They are EBay specials, so I didn’t break the bank if I don’t like em.

Well, continued on my exhaust idea today. I used 3” chrome 90 degree bent pipes to start after having an exhaust shop make 90’s around the tank. I had to cut and grind my slash tips, and I think they came out ok for using a sawzall and angle grinder. Lastly, I wrapped most of it to prevent heating the gas tank. Trying to decide if it’s good as is, or if I should fit short 3.5” tips over the existing 3” tips.

12F304C3-F2DE-47C4-A202-365AE06F23B3.jpeg
0D79C156-F9F9-495D-87BD-D9824B6BF190.jpeg

B667F48E-42A4-4642-A417-E3291B2E1A73.jpeg
I feel like I’ve seen a similar set up like this before from you :scratch:
Lol . Have you thought about the Saleen style tips?
CEB3B73E-BB9B-4572-AF74-118AFF578B11.jpeg

I feel like I’ve seen a similar set up like this before from you :scratch:
Lol . Have you thought about the Saleen style tips?
CEB3B73E-BB9B-4572-AF74-118AFF578B11.jpeg

You kinda have. I ran dual center exit on the 351 Ranger. I have always loved center exit since the GTS Vipers and Saleen Mustangs used it.

I did consider those Saleen type tips in the very beginning, but at the time thought I would stay true to the Fox heritage with round tips. Hindsight is always 20/20. At this point it would be a decent amount of work to get those to fit considering I have 3” tubing for the last 18” of each pipe.