Nitrous and blown motors?

SonicBlueBabe

Sep 20, 2003
Boca Raton, FL
Has anyone actually had a bad experience with nitrous and blowing their motor? I've heard that it happens often, but ive never actually had anyone say it happened to them. Anybody wanna share their sad story? What kind of shot? Im curious to see how many people have actually blown their motor with nitrous. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

SonicBlueBabe said:
Has anyone actually had a bad experience with nitrous and blowing their motor? I've heard that it happens often, but ive never actually had anyone say it happened to them.
That's the problem with message boards and heresay. People want to talk about things that they don't have any experience with. My advice is to listen to the shop you do business with and most importantly your tuner. Everyone is gonna have a story about how "nitrous blew their motor" or "don't supercharge your car or it'll blow up" but always remember that you'll probably never hear the full story. Good luck.:nice:

i blew my motor with a NOS Dry kit that was a 125 shot, but is was my own fault i had the timing advanced and a little to hot of spark plugs,
key things to remember when using no2, put colder plugs in, retard timing 2 degrees every 50 hp, shut of traction controll, be sure car is all the way warmed up, i know of two others that have blown their motors with no2, 1 was because of traction control and the other guy would never admit to what went wrong.
if you are using it alot just go and put a flip chip in and have it dyno tuned, Trust me it will me much cheaper to do this than rebuild an engine.

i was riding shotgun in a '00gt with a 150 shot when it went kaboom. of course, there was no window switch, no tuning, no precautions really besides the timing was backed down and 2 step colder plugs. i think it blew because the nitrous was still spraying in as he was nailing the rev limiter in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd then BOOM! its still in pieces over a year and a half later...gonna be on the road again soon.

f8c91e3a.jpg

f8c91e38.jpg

f8c91e37.jpg

i didnt blow the motor but i had a backfire and took the kit off before i eventually blew it. i was at the track one night, it was about 35 degrees and the track would not hook at all. i spun the drag radials bad off the line, hit the revv limiter and boom. luckily all it did was blow my Cold air intake off the throttle body and blow 3 gaskets, (EGR, AIT, and something else), but i took the kit off the next week. it was my stupidity that caused this to happen. i was spraying a 100 NX wet shot, and didnt lift my foot when it started spinning. didnt have a window switch, and wanted to beat that 5.0 real bad.

anyways, i'm faster with the blower now anyways, so it worked out.

it de-activates the nitrous under a certain rpm (say you mash the throttle at 1,000) it will keep it from dumping nitrous in at such a low rpm (if you want)...and the biggest thing, it wont spray over say 5700 rpm when you're about to hit rev limiter. if you hit rev-limiter the engine cuts fuel out...if you're still pushing the pedal to the floor the nitrous will continue to dump in, hence a big problem. nitrous + no fuel = boom.

FST FORD said:
it de-activates the nitrous under a certain rpm (say you mash the throttle at 1,000) it will keep it from dumping nitrous in at such a low rpm (if you want)...and the biggest thing, it wont spray over say 5700 rpm when you're about to hit rev limiter. if you hit rev-limiter the engine cuts fuel out...if you're still pushing the pedal to the floor the nitrous will continue to dump in, hence a big problem. nitrous + no fuel = boom.
Perfect response...thanks.

That makes me wonder though..why don't more people use a window switch? Makes more sense to me..I'd rather spend the little money in the beginning then have to spend a fortune to rebuild my motor.