NO BELT TENSIONER??

Georgie

Jul 13, 2005
Montreal, Canada
OK I GOT MY STANG LIKE ALMOST A YEAR AGO..HAVNT DONE ANY ENGINE BAY WORK..ONLY BODY. BUT TODAY I NOTICED I DON'T HAVE A TENTIONER....MY CAR USED TO HAVE A/C..BUT IT WAS HACKED AWAY...AND I DON'T SEE ANY SMOG STUFF..THEIRS ONLY 4 PULLEYS RUNNING, ALTERNATOR,WATER PUMP,CRANK AND POWER STEERING...

IS THIS OK??

• Sponsors (?)

its probably got the march alternator bracket with an adjuster rod. look at where the alternator is and see if the top mounting hole has a threaded rod with jam nuts and mounts to a water pump bolt.

I am also guessing that there is some kind of a tensioner on the alternator. There are many cars that use a moving alternator. If it has nothing, then you are lucky that you aren't throwing belts or having belt slipping problems.

I am another vote for pics

I've had two mustangs without any kind of tensioner they were just running belts that were way too tight had to be hard on pulley bearings. The one I have now has a clevice deal on it where you can adjust the tension by moving the alternator.

On my 88 lx i have no tensioner i have the threaded rode on the alt On that car i have no acc except for the alt plus i have changed the water pump from a reverse flow to a standard flow water pump. Have no problems with the belt.

there you go georgie, here are the pics.
picture2477gq.th.jpg picture2494hu.th.jpg picture2514is.th.jpg
its rather unusual though not to have a belt tensioner

Attachments

• picture2477gq.th.jpg
    picture2477gq.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 58
  • picture2494hu.th.jpg
    picture2494hu.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 43
  • picture2514is.th.jpg
    picture2514is.th.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 45
OK..IM GONNA ORDER THE TENTIONER AS WELL... WHAT BELT DO I NEED TO BUY??? IM ALSO GETTING A NEW WATER PUMP..HOW DO I KNOW IF IT NEEDS TO BE REVERS OR NORMAL DIRECTION?? AND IS IT GOING AFFECT THE SIZE OF THE BELT I NEED TO USE??

:SNSign: :SNSign: