Not another "which shifter" thread...

• Sponsors (?)

I like my engagement to be high up in the throw. Clutch only gets pressed about halfway. Preload the shifter for the next gear and it usually goes in (havent missed a shift in 3 years or so).

With that said if there has been a change in how it shifts, I would associate it with a wear item, clutch, cable, transmission maybe? I would think the shifter is alright.

I like my engagement to be high up in the throw. Clutch only gets pressed about halfway. Preload the shifter for the next gear and it usually goes in (havent missed a shift in 3 years or so).

With that said if there has been a change in how it shifts, I would associate it with a wear item, clutch, cable, transmission maybe? I would think the shifter is alright.

It's not a recent development, my speed shifting has always sucked.

After hearing you guys talk, I think I may have my engagement waaaay to close to the carpet. I've always had it so that you have to push the pedal to the floor to shift... I just thought that was how it's supposed to be! I can't imagine only pushing the pedal halfway down to shift. I'm going to have to play with it (that's what she said).

It's not a recent development, my speed shifting has always sucked.

After hearing you guys talk, I think I may have my engagement waaaay to close to the carpet. I've always had it so that you have to push the pedal to the floor to shift... I just thought that was how it's supposed to be! I can't imagine only pushing the pedal halfway down to shift. I'm going to have to play with it (that's what she said).

There is the problem most likely you are adjusted to loose. Like posted quickly already the clutch needs to crab higher. The clutch needs to adjusted for function not for feel. Properly adjusted the clutch will engage about 1/2 way up it's travel( about 2inch or so off the floor). A clutch that grabs off the floor is adjusted to loose and causes problems like difficulty putting into gear, rolling on flat surfaces and premature clutch wear. A clutch that grabs to high ( adjusted to tight or a worn clutch if adjustment will not fix the problem) can cuase it to be constantly disenganging when driving like riding the clutch. also you need that inch to 1/2 inch of play in the pedal if not then it's way to tight but to much slack and the clutch might not be disengaging all the way. just like posted before about 2inches off the floor and about 1 inch of play is the way to go.

wow definately adjust that clutch shuldnt have to put it to the floor,once u get it adjusted need to put some time on it, i use a hurst short throw shifter,love it, have missed 2-3 before though,theres a seldom used road near where i live that i practice launches on, lately i have been using my mazda 5 spd to practice powershifting(havent done it in the 5.0 yet)

The B&M shifter went bad in my 96 Cobra and I tore the trans apart thinking it was something inside. Nope, shop confirmed it was the shifter. $350 wasted on paying the labor for them to tear it town and reassemble the T45. Anyways....I went MGW.......done. Best shift I've ever had.

I've had B&M, Pro-5.0, Steeda, UPR, Hurst. MGW trumps them all.

i wonder how long it would take me to break an MGW in my car?

srtthis how did you ever brake your 5.0 shifter? The handle is steel:nonono:! Did you gorilla it:D? You had to BRAKE the trans too if you broke the shifter:eek:?

Pro5.0 here... will admit not the best driver in the world miss 3rd on the street ever once and a great while. Missed third at track yesterday, im sure between nerves and excitement have a lot to do with it. Ran a [email protected] on 26x10 slicks not power shifting a new best for me.

Scott

srtthis how did you ever brake your 5.0 shifter? The handle is steel:nonono:! Did you gorilla it:D? You had to BRAKE the trans too if you broke the shifter:eek:?

Pro5.0 here... will admit not the best driver in the world miss 3rd on the street ever once and a great while. Missed third at track yesterday, im sure between nerves and excitement have a lot to do with it. Ran a [email protected] on 26x10 slicks not power shifting a new best for me.

Scott

nope trans is fine... welded it back together and off i went. not shifting as hard or as fast as i can. i have a hurst handle on it which im sure doesnt help the handle any.

my new handle i designed should be done here soon. hopefully its done before i pull the motor outta mine here in the next month to do the front K member and everything this winter. and i promise i will NOT break that one.

what i do promise is you put any off the shelft shifter in my car and i will break it
MGW
pro5.0
steeda
UPR (sorry Sharad.. but it will meet its match)
hurst
B&M
you name it... i will break it.

actually id like to try a few other shifters and see who's i can break the fastest. whos takes the most abuse... who's i miss gears with. who's shift like butter... but i dont see anyone putting all the shifters

srtthis, You have broken every one of those shifters?

Between my family and friends I have seen thousands of track passes. Only shifter breakage I have ever seen was my father breaking a hurst shift ball (it separated from the internal piece), and shortly after another friend doing the same.

Can't say I have seen a handle break, but maybe we aren't driving them hard enough? :D