Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Well the cold weather is upon us (at least here) I'm hoping my tranny is a consistant dog... when it does it every time all the time for a week straight shes going back in... I'm gonna bring every damn post I can find about it to them and WATCH them read it :)

• Sponsors (?)

TSB Junk

Got my ride back from Ford 2 weeks ago after they did TSB. Ford used outside tranny shop and took a solid week. 1st to 2nd seemed to feel ok but now I notice some notchyness from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd down to 2nd. In my opinion TSB does not work. Cold weather still effects tranny. It may reduce the harshness of the problem but I wish I tried changing the fluid level and type first. I've said it before A REBUILT STANDARD TRANS NEVER WORKS 100%. I have never meet anyone satisified with a rebuild in this part of the country.

I am going to try to push Ford for a new tranny (late build date in 04) If that doesn't work this car is gone. I wish nissan or toyota made a mustang...the thing would run forever. My 92 150K toyota truck shifts better than my mustang...sad....

I was on JEGS.COM today and I happened upon something relevant to this thread. This is from a PDF instruction sheet talking about solid motor mounts:

"Solid mounts limit engine movement and make linkages operate smoother."

The category of "linkages" includes your shifter and clutch - two areas highly relevant to the problems discussed here. As I have posted many times, I think many of the problems discussed here are due to improper drivetrain alignment, and the first thing all of you with shifting problems should check is your motor / transmission mounts. The text above is the second quote related to soft mounts / shifting I have posted - both from reliable sources. Furthermore, Mustangs are well-known for excessive drivetrain play. I am not suggesting anyone switch to solid motor mounts, but I do think you need to ensure your drivetrain movement is within specs. To my knowledge, none of you have followed my advice and that is why I don't take this thread seriously at all.

Why is no one listening? I can think of two explanations: 1) some of you have already ruined your transmissions and changing the mounts won't help that 2) some of you don't like me. As far as #1 goes, all I can say is that you need to be dilligent with your dealers and bring problems to their attention early on (as opposed to complaining about them here or trying to correct them with aftermarket parts.) As for #2, I understand that alternative viewpoints are rarely popular, but I must also point out that they are often true.

The other thing I will point out is that many of you are taking a basic maintenance issue and trying to turn it into a recall. I think you are giving a great transmission a bad name, and really detracting from a positive aspect of the Mustang (the 3650), which should be praised, not criticized.

I dont think its a matter of anyone not liking you or anything.... issue falls to damn thing is screwed up and its not our responsibility to pay for or fix the problem... it is Fords

I give up...

Well, I finally got the dealer to perform the TSB (with only 47 miles left under warranty). They had it for 3 days and I got it back to discover the same grinding/notchiness as before. I have a new tranny, new shifter and now the TSB and no change. What a load. I guess I'll just drive it untill the tranny falls out and get a new SVT. I hope it lasts long enough...

Tranny clanking when disengaging clutch and braking

Hey guys, has anyone had the following issue or know a fix? I've searched the entire forum and have only found a few similarities.

I have a 96 Cobra (see specs below) and my transmission is clanking/chattering when I disengage the clutch and start braking. The heavier the breaking, the worse the clanking...
This only started happening after I had the rotors resurfaced. Pure coincidence?

I had the entire transmission rebuilt recently and my mechanic (trusted) said the clutch and pressure plate are fine. He said that some of the gears were worn so he went ahead and put in a new kit. (gears, TOB, etc.).
I still have that damn chattering/clanking when I disengage the clutch and start braking. It sounds like the car is falling apart.

I got this car for $1 so I really can't complain. I traded an Impala SS to a friend of mine who had this car. We sold each other the cars for $1 since they were worth about the same on the market. (The transmission didn't make a single noise until after I had the rotors resurfaced)

Any suggestions? It's driving me crazy!

'96 Cobra
3:73 rear end
K&N
MSR iginition
aftermarket shifter
Cobra R wheels
Lowered 2"

I had the transmission fixed with the TSB that is out, and it's been about 30 degrees out the last few mornings where I live and my 2002 Mustang GT is shifting like butter. :) I just wish I could get the clunk noise from the rear end fixed but I guess that isn't going to happen. There is a TSB on it but they won't fix it. They say it's normal. #$%^&*

anyone have a copy of this driveline clunk TSB???

brianmef said:
I always thought the "clunk/bang" was a noise from the rear end and not the transmission. I haven't had any notchiness or grinding when shifting from 1st to 2nd since I had mine fixed, but I still hear the clunk noise. I told the service manager about it and they are calling it "normal" and won't fix it. That is BS just as much as they used to call the transmission problem "normal" until they finally decided to issue a TSB for it and then people are still having problems getting it fixed from their dealer. I still say if I buy another car, I really doubt it will be a Ford after all this.

They know about this and won't fix it even though there is a TSB on it. I've noticed the banging noise if I am just coasting with the clutch in and in 1st or 2nd gear like when I am going to be coming to a stop soon in a parking lot, and it's not during "quick acceleration" as they state below. I notice it at other times also like when I am at a certain speed and give it some gas. I feel that the problem is too much "free play" in the rear end. I could be wrong but that's my impression of what's happening. When I talked to my service magager about it, he made it sound like you had to almost be abusing the car to duplicate the noise, and you don't. It's under totally normal driving conditions.

Bulletin Date: JAN 2004
DRIVELINE CLUNK DURING GEAR CHANGES AND/OR QUICK ACCELERATION AFTER COAST (TIP-IN) CLUNK. *TT

took the tsb with me to the dealer in michigan,the service tech drove it and agreed there was a problem.i had to pick up the car after business hours and they didn't do anything to it.the work the order said that it was normal because they took another 5spd out and it did the same thing so according to them its normal.i called the dealer back back and the service guy said it was the shop foreman that said it was normal and he had the last word.i wanted to talk to him but couldn't and was told he 'd call me back.i'm still waiting.i the called ford cut service and they told me the tsb doesn't mean anything and that they will go along with the foreman.i can't believe these people!!!!i then emailed ford board of directors as i am also a stockholder and advised themof what transpired.i'm sure they won't do anything either.i think a class action lawsuit should be filed so we can get these cars fixed.if anyone knows how to get one going let us know.i would gladly sign on to it.i don't think i'll be buying anymore ford products!

Just got on the thread. I am on my 2ed transmission. Took it back again for the hard shifting. They are doing the TSB now. 5th gear has a chip in it and I am now waiting on it. The dealership has been great but there suport from Ford stinks. Will let you guys know if it fixes it or not. :rolleyes:

i went to another dealer today nov 5 and am leaving it overnight in their lot nov 10.i told them what happened and showed them the other dealers paperwork and the tsb and they will have the trans mechanic drive it.hopefully it shifts sh***y and he agrees with the tsb.i'll let you guys know how it plays out next week.

Does anyone have a BRAND NEW W/ TSB FROM THE FACTORY tranny from ford? I'm curious how this works. I have had the TSB done on my old tranny and it still sucks...sucks less, but still sucks...next step will be new tranny with factory installed TSB if this works better. I've never driving a car with a rebuilt tranny worth anything...mine included

You guys waiting for TSB....in my opinion, the only good it does is give you a 12 month, 12K mile warranty on the tranny...

drock01 said:
Does anyone have a BRAND NEW W/ TSB FROM THE FACTORY tranny from ford? I'm curious how this works. I have had the TSB done on my old tranny and it still sucks...sucks less, but still sucks...next step will be new tranny with factory installed TSB if this works better. I've never driving a car with a rebuilt tranny worth anything...mine included

You guys waiting for TSB....in my opinion, the only good it does is give you a 12 month, 12K mile warranty on the tranny...

Ford swapped out for a new tranny last January, but the notchy BS was still there. So, in Sept they did the TSB on the newer tranny and it's much better. Going from 1-2 is great, while 2-3 could be a little better.

I guess the big test will be over the next few days as it will be getting cold in NJ.

well, they have had my car for 7 days now and still not finished. 5th gear had a chip in it and it took 4 days to get one. Going together today and hopefully get it back tomorrow. Hope it fixes it.

Well the TSB didn't go very well. I now have a bad gear wine. They had it apart 3 times and couldn't find anything wrong with it. The service manager had them order a new one starting with the 04 part number. The dealership has been great, wish Ford followed there example.

well guys the dealership just called me and they said nothing was wrong with the transmission and they won't do the tsb.i guess they finally won.i just don't have the time nor energy anymore to take it to more dealers.i'm going back to refilling it to 3.2ml and putting my triax back in.just as a side bar i was looking to buy a new truck and tomorrow i'm going to buy a dodge ram.i will never consider buying a ford product again! over the last 10yrs i've purchased 7 new ford and mercury products.its no wonder the rice burners are gaining market share because they have a good product and customer service.all members of my family worked for the big three so i couldn't see myself driving one.anyway i'm going to lease the dodge and any other new car and that way i'm not stuck with it.i love my stang but i hate fords bull**** !!!!