Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

• Sponsors (?)

I decided to email Tremec directly on the Tr-3650 after I read a post here on someone else contacting them.

Here's the response that I received from them and it looks like Ford/Tremec finally admits there is a problem and they are willing to fix it.

RE: TTC Contact Form
Date: 11/14/2003 7:52:44 AM Eastern Standard Time
Reply To:
To: XXXXXXX

If you go back to the dealer within the next three weeks, they will have
three parts available to take care of this problem you have experienced.
I know they have issued a Parts Information Letter (PIL) on this in
their system.

Jon A. Vieth
Product Line Manager

Mustang225 - can you let us know what you asked Tremec? What are the parts? Will there be a tsb? This is very interesting.

Also, do you think he means wait three weeks, then go to the dealer?

Thanks - please fill us in on additional details if you have them!

BMan5150 said:
Mustang225 - can you let us know what you asked Tremec? What are the parts? Will there be a tsb? This is very interesting.

Also, do you think he means wait three weeks, then go to the dealer?

Thanks - please fill us in on additional details if you have them!

This is the email I sent Tremec via their website.

Interested Subject: Technical Question
Details: I'm the owner of a 03 Mustang GT 5 speed. Since the car was new
(9/03, whenever shifting from 1-2 you can actually hear clicking sounds.
I've had the car into Ford and they claim that it's normal. I've been
reading that some others have lowered the oil in the tranny to 3.2L and
the problem was solved.

My concern is the long term effect.

Have you heard of this and what is your recommendation.

Thanks

Dreams2Reality said:
I've been having problems going into third when drving it a little harder than normal. it seems the synchros aren't all that good, but my tri-ax seemed to help this problem;)

I was having a horrible time trying to hit 3rd in the stock shifter. I switched to the tri-ax and never had a problem since.

Update..sort of

I stopped at Ford today and spoke to 2 service reps. I showed them my email from Jon Vieth, Product Line Manager from Tremec. So far they haven't heard anything about the updated parts to fix the problem. But then again I only received the email from Tremec on Friday and it might not have reached Ford yet.

One service rep said that he will call for more information on Tues and I should get back to him Wed. He also said that I should also contact Tremec for the parts number of which I already email Jon Vieth.

I also received an email from Jon today and here's his email:

The reduction to 3.2L has proven to help with the symptoms you have
identified below.

Jon A. Vieth
Product Line Manager

In the meantime, it looks like we're heading in the right direction to finally solve this situation.

I hope to update this post on Wed with some good news.

This is great info . . . thanks for keeping us all posted. I hope all it entails is some fluid change/reduction. That would be an easy fix. I'm curious what these "parts" are . . . . might just be 3.2 liters of new dyno tranny oil!

BTW, my manual states the tranny requires 3.8 liters of Mobil 1 synthetic!!!!

Ok, fellow stangers...This is HUGE!!!!!

Here's another email I received from Jon Vieth of Tremec.

The only thing I ask, is to please be patient and wait a few weeks until production on these parts are completed and your dealer has them or knowledge of them.

So...read them and do the happy happy joy joy dance. Looks like the 1-2 problem has been solved.

I would also like to thank Jon for his responses to my emails.

So in other words, as the Pres said in the movie Independance Day when they shot down the alien space ship....."Spread the word"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The part numbers are:

3R3Z-7107-AA
3R3Z-7102-AA
3R3Z-7124-BA

All parts are due in from the plant this week and should be available through dealers within a few weeks.

Jon A. Vieth

Product Line Manager

Great stuff!!! Now, we just need to find out if a TSB will also be released at the same time. Can't imagine there won't be a TSB.

Guess I'll have to reinstall my old stock shifter over the next few weeks.

FYI - these parts numbers don't show up yet on www.fordparts.com yet, but I wouldn't expect them to yet.

I just checked the fordparts.com website and they have the numbers up now.. So, maybe they just updated the site a few hours ago?

I have no idea what each part actually is.

3R3Z-7107-AA ----> RG-TRA/AX SYN BLK -------------->$289.77
3R3Z-7102-AA ----> GR ASSEMBLY-TRANS INTERM----> $123.18
3R3Z-7124-BA ----> SYN ASSEMBLY TRANS ----------> $102.86

Riley

CraigThaCrab said:
we need a tsb, we cant just go to the dealer and be like these parts, they need to be replaced... I dunno how we are going to do this...

I was on my way to the FORD house today to order some floormats and asked the service adviser about it anyways (the part numbers listed above). They told me they could order the parts and install them but without a recall it wouldn't be considered a warranty issue and I would have to pay for the repairs. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Any ideas if there will be a recall? I asked the ford tech that same question and he said he heard nothing about it and I was the first one to present these part numbers that he is aware of.

Any ideas????

I will have to say that Jon is truly a friend to us Tremec 3650 sufferers as he's been mailing me whenever I ask a question. He's even given me his phone number should I want to talk to him directly...and NO...I'm not going to post it here, so please don't ask. I think we need to wait about 2 weeks on this and then call the Ford dealers. If by chance Ford hasn't admitted a TSB is/was issued then I will call Jon for his help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The TSB was to be written this week or last week by Ford. I know that all parts are on hand in our inventory and will be available to Ford Dealers soon.

Jon A. Vieth

Product Line Manager