Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Suprafied said:
Well, that is the part that my company builds for Tremec. We do not manufacture the brass rings, but we bond the carbon based material to the synchro ring. I know for a fact that Tremec engineers with be meeting with the Engineer at my work who is in charge of this project on Tuesday this week. The engineer of my company just flew down to Tremec manufacturing plants in Mexico to discuss this with them. However, the week before I had just finished tests on 5 possible new designs(including new material and not just brass. I can't talk about the materials/ processes). I will tell you this, there was one design that performed more than 8 times our current production.

I'll leave it at that until I hear more information that I can release.

I know how much of a headache this part has been, even coming from the manufacturing standpoint.

Thanks guys, keep us informed, I/we are patiently waiting ;)

• Sponsors (?)

Tremec

Yep i have a 03 gt vert. My trans started popping out of 2nd at 6,000 miles. Never been to the track. I took it in the first time and they said nothing was wrong, i went back a week later after it got worst and they jumped right on it no problems asked, i have 11,000 miles on my car with no problem......yet
This is still ridiculos with a car that had only 6,000 miles!!! Mad me furious!

CraigThaCrab said:
Ya, nothings going to be done without a "silent Recall" meaning they have to issue a tsb. We need that in order to get this done under warrenty.

I don't understand why there would have to be a TSB or a Recall. In the warranty book, it states...

Your satisfaction is our #1 goal. If you have any questions or concerns with your vehicle, we suggest you follow these steps:

1. Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing dealership.
2. If the inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager or Service Manager at the dealership.
3. If the inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, please contact the Ford Customer Relationship Center.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
16800 Executive Plaza Drive
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48121
1-800-392-3673 (FORD)
-----------------------------
Bumber To Bumper Coverage
Under your New Vehicle Limited Warranty, Bumper to Bumper Coverage begins at the warranty start date and lasts for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first. During this coverage period, authorized Ford Motor Company dealers will repair, replace, or adjust all parts on your vehicle that are defective in factory-supplied materials or workmanship.
-----------------------------

brianmef

brianmef you are correct in that is what should happen.

The problem is many of us are bringing our vehicles to the dealership, calling all the 1-800 numbers, duplicating the problem with a technician in the car, and we are still told that it is normal.

We need some type of documentation stating that there is a potential flaw or defect so the dealership will be willing to do the work. Without a TSB or recall they are afraid that their costs won't be covered under warranty work. Tearing a transmission down is big labor hours and that is why they keep blowing smoke up our asses.

and my saga continues....ford customer relations called me back today twice and said they are sending my case to a research board. whatever the hell that is. I will fight his to the death...or until i get pissed to the point where i just trade it in on a Lincoln LS. i get the same crap told that its normal and blah blah blah. im not going to take this crap!

time to call ford customer relations again and find out what hte research board is going to do about it and what it is in the first place.

I have a 2003 gt with the same problem the 1 to 2 shift. i talked to ford they said the fluid needs to be changed and it will take abut 300 miles after the change to see if there is a difference. I was also in contact with tremec via e mail i was told to reduce the fluid from 3.8 to 3.2 liers of fluid, and also tremec has informed me that ford will be putting out a TSB for this problem that requires changing three parts. I guess that we will all have to wait and hopefully our problems will be solved. I only have 700 miles on my car and the first problem was acid rain attacked the car while the dealer had it. i did not notice it on delivery i had to have the car wet sanded and buffed out and now the tranny starts up once the cold sets in. Sorry about telling you guys about the paint problem but hey I needed to get it out of my system. GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Parts were ordered today. I know someone at Ford and my car is going to be the guinea pig for this fix. We'll see. Teardown begins after parts arrive. I spoke to the tranny guy and he had never seen these "exact" part numbers. Said they must be brand new and showed me a syncro box he had just opened to replace the synro in a brand new Mach1. Same number but didn't start with a 3 or something. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Also, I'm not sure if I should use 3.2L with this new fix. Can anyone confirm this? And what tranny fluid is ideal for this tranny? I have Redline ATF D4...that was a temporary fix to say the least.

Mjp said:
Parts were ordered today. I know someone at Ford and my car is going to be the guinea pig for this fix. We'll see. Teardown begins after parts arrive. I spoke to the tranny guy and he had never seen these "exact" part numbers. Said they must be brand new and showed me a syncro box he had just opened to replace the synro in a brand new Mach1. Same number but didn't start with a 3 or something. We'll see. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Keep us posted with the results!

Thanks.... :banana:

Mjp said:

Also, I'm not sure if I should use 3.2L with this new fix. Can anyone confirm this? And what tranny fluid is ideal for this tranny? I have Redline ATF D4...that was a temporary fix to say the least.

I assume you're talking about the three new parts. Are they doing it under warranty?

Any word on the TSB yet?

psnous said:
I assume you're talking about the three new parts. Are they doing it under warranty?

Any word on the TSB yet?

Correct. They ordered the 3 new parts yesterday. Yes, they are doing it under warranty. But remember, I know someone that works at Ford. So he was a bit more understanding when I came to him with 3 part numbers that are suppose to fix this, unlike other dealers that would say they don't have any documentation that this is the fix.

TSB has NOT been issued yet. But something called an MNN (or something) is issued before a TSB, and as soon as this goes into Oasis, you can go to any dealer for the fix. As of right now though, I don't think an official word has got to Ford yet. I'll keep ya updated on my progress.

psnous said:
OK cool, thanks. Can you check if MNN is correct and what it is. My tranny is sick again but kinda waiting to see about these parts and getting them in under warranty

Yeah, I'll check when I go to drop my car off when the parts arrive. I'll see if the problem has been entered in Oasis as well.

****y tranny

2003 gt 4200 miles
mine grinds from 1-2 alot and i cant ever get it to take 3rd. i have been around mustangs my whole life and i have never drove one with a tranny this bad. if the problem dosent get fixed im gonna drop in a t-56. but i would love to see the problem solved. if some one could start a law suit im in with ya.

ZKiller---

Mine did the same thing shorty after driving it off the lot....it would refuse to go into third. After a double clutch it would, it still occasionally refuses to go into third. With the colder weather here in Texas its back to grinding 1 to 2. Hopefully the TSB info is correct.

Does anyone know if Ford will be replacing not only the parts that causes this problem, but ALSO the parts that could have been worn/damaged by the grinding? It certainly can't be healthy for it.

zkiller18 said:
2003 gt 4200 miles
mine grinds from 1-2 alot and i cant ever get it to take 3rd. i have been around mustangs my whole life and i have never drove one with a tranny this bad. if the problem dosent get fixed im gonna drop in a t-56. but i would love to see the problem solved. if some one could start a law suit im in with ya.

jprez22 said:
ZKiller---

Mine did the same thing shorty after driving it off the lot....it would refuse to go into third. After a double clutch it would, it still occasionally refuses to go into third. With the colder weather here in Texas its back to grinding 1 to 2. Hopefully the TSB info is correct.

Does anyone know if Ford will be replacing not only the parts that causes this problem, but ALSO the parts that could have been worn/damaged by the grinding? It certainly can't be healthy for it.

Yea they will, they should anyway, thoroughly inspect it and make sure all is good.

Called my local dealer about that 1-2 grind issue. Gave'm the download on what I know, i.e. TSB, part numbers,... They didn't seemed surprised at all about it. They are taking the car in for service on Monday. Should have it back Monday nite. I guess we will see what happens then. I am going to try to get the old tranny parts back to see what they look like.
I don't think this will stop the 3rd gear lock out issue but then again It has only happened to me a couple of times since I owned the car.