Official Tremec 3650 Issues Thread

Tremec 3650 Problems

Hey People!

2003 Black Mustang GT / 9,500 careful miles ( just Flowmasters as yet, Tri-Ax for X-Mas! )

The car was PERFECT until....

Just droppped out of third / nailed rev limiter / and something went AWOL and had pretty strong burning smell when I got out of the car....

The shifter vibrates / car bucks in all gears / never "coasts" while in gear, feels labored / doesn't feel as stout, especially in 1st gear...

Crossroads Ford, Cary NC has had it twice already with the standard "normal" BS...Had tech in the car twice and he felt something but it seemed like other '03 / '04s he tried.....They will OWN this car until it is fixed!! I can walk to work from dealership and will have it in EVERY day if necessary...And of course they are TOTALLY unaware of any Tremec 3650 issues and their OASIS system has nothing..

I just read this thread and I was amazed....Seems LOTS of folks have had bad experiences...Thanks for all the Tremec stuff with p/n's and stuff...Apparently we need TSB numbers... :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang225 said:
Be patient.

I told the service tech at Ford that I would give him 2 weeks to see what's going on, which would be next wed, dec 3rd.

If I don't get a TSB response from him then I will contact Tremec to see if they could help.

Good, bad or indifferent, you don't want to piss the person off who's working on your car, even if it's under warranty.

We've waited this long, another few days should be fine.

Just curious if you heard anything. Don't mean to be a pain just trying to stay on top of this. Plus my sevicing dealer actually called to see if I heard anything. Plus I had a guy at my work try to contact this Jon guy at Tremec and they are in contact but I haven't heard anything for a week.

Will Ford still cover the TSB if the warranty is up by the time it comes out? By the time January or February hits, I might be over my mileage.

And will they still honor the TSB if we leave out short shifters in? I really dont want to change it out. PITA.

Yeah, they've already tried to blame short throw shifters as a cause for the problems, so to be on the safe side, I would switch the current one out to stock and then back again after you have the fix done. I know it can be a pain, but to have the problem officially gone it will be huge.

About the TSB's. Your car does not have to be under warranty for a TSB to be done by your dealer. However, the only way a TSB is covered by a vehicle not under warranty is if it may cause a potential safety hazard (like poor wiring). In this case I think that it can be dangerous if your car does not go into gear when you need it to (like big truck rushing up on you) but they may not consider it that way to save a few bucks...

[/COLOR]
psnous said:
Just curious if you heard anything. Don't mean to be a pain just trying to stay on top of this. Plus my sevicing dealer actually called to see if I heard anything. Plus I had a guy at my work try to contact this Jon guy at Tremec and they are in contact but I haven't heard anything for a week.

I called Ford today and was told that they have nothing in regard to a TSB. Therefore they can't do anything at this time. I then emailed Jon at Tremec but haven't heard from him yet.

I will wait until the early part of next week and then make some phone calls to the local dealership. I hate to call in some markers, but in my case the dealer is a big customer of where I work and feel that it will shake up the barrel at that point.

Stay tuned.

Mustang225 said:
[/COLOR]

I called Ford today and was told that they have nothing in regard to a TSB. Therefore they can't do anything at this time. I then emailed Jon at Tremec but haven't heard from him yet.

I will wait until the early part of next week and then make some phone calls to the local dealership. I hate to call in some markers, but in my case the dealer is a big customer of where I work and feel that it will shake up the barrel at that point.

Stay tuned.

Ok, thanks for the input. I'll be patiently awaiting any updates :nice:

i heard someone saying, that they tried to get these parts put in there car, but theres was an o2 and the dealer said not under warrenty, can us 03 guys , get these 03 parts put in without a tsb, probably not, without a tsb, i was just curious. I have had this frustration with this problem, since i bought my car, i accually have the phone number to the donald moore, head of customer realtion at ford, who promised me to extended my car warrenty up to 72,000 miles if no fix comes out for this.

I just bought an 02 GT with 15k miles on it and it seems to grind when going into second and sometimes third. When it's cold though and I shift into 2nd and let out on the clutch it seems like it is going to die. There is no power there and then after about 3 seconds it picks back up and goes like normal. Any guess as to what it causing it to almost die? Also is there a company out there that sells a built tranny?

Twisted said:
The point is you have a 2002 mustang GT that cost 23-25K, you should not have to replace the transmission with a "built" one. The factory T3650 should work flawlessly.

Trust me I agree, but I have heard the stock ones are not capable of handling a lot of power (correct me if I am wrong please) and I plan to do some bolt ons and maybe some day go for more. If it has to be replaced then I was just wondering what companies out there sell a built tranny. I just want to see what options I have out there. I think it's crap that the T3650 is going out on so many cars with so few miles on them.

Calypso Pony said:
Ditch the T3650 and get a nice T56. Mine tranny is a POS too, but my next mod for my 02 GT is the T56 swap.

No offense, but if I'm going to go for 2 grand plus for a mod, it's not going to be for something that's should be/is covered under the warranty.

This has been a slow process but we are making progress and I feel within a the near future (6 months max), Ford will be repairing the tranny's under warranty.

Problem with 03

I have 12K on my 03 GT, typical gear clash with shifting into second when cold. When I took it to the dealer at 4k, they said there is nothing they can do until 12-18K....wonder what they will say now.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Mustang225
[/COLOR]

Stay tuned.

Any word yet?

psnous said:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Mustang225
[/COLOR]

Stay tuned.

Any word yet?

Unfort not. I recently email someone at Ford where I bought the car and should have some sort of response within a few days.

Jon from Tremec was very quick on the emails, so maybe he's been very busy or away from the office.